How to fight your flashlight buying addiction

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
In some threads and PMs I got the impression that a lot of us are tired of addictively buying new flashlights. Yes, it is an addiction.

I sold all my flashlights. I did not keep even one. It's a relief. I placed orders for three HDS lights though (200 HiCRI Rotary, 200 High Noon, 250 Tactical). My plan is to keep the one I like most and get rid of the other two. Once that's done and everybody received the stuf they bought from me I'll lock myself out of my CPF account.

Before we flew off to the UK to pass our summer holidays I read a book that helped me a lot with this decision. It's Leo Babautas book "Focus". There's a free edition on his website (if you can read a book on a screen).

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impulsive, uncontrollable spending can be a destructive addiction. Enjoying a hobby is quite a different affair. Most of us have wives who remind us of the distinction. I have a small number of lights that I acquired within my means and I enjoy them thoroughly.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find a way to make money and have fun it's a bonus. I started out with a hobby and started selling lights to cops! Of course it's hard to recommend a light without knowing your product....so you end up buying 1 of each for research purposes..:whistle::whistle:

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
"How to fight your flashlight buying addiction"

Instead of "fighting", better for me was to get into "recovery" mode for my addiction. The first step for me was to admit complete defeat, because fighting the addiction clearly did not work.
Regularly attending Flashoholics Anonymous meetings, then doing the remaining 11 steps of the program of recovery of Flashoholics Anonymous will rarely result in failure to recover.

When I was ready to admit that any and all easily imaginable remedies always resulted in failure, I was ready to do the program of recovery of Flashoholics Anonymous.

Luckily, for me, total abstinence was not required. Just like food, I am able to control and enjoy eating food and I am also able to control and enjoy my flashlights, once I got into the program of action of recovery.
Before I did so, I was not able to control and enjoy either; I had lost all my power of control.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recognized the addiction early. It was actually quite easy for me, but I can see how it can get out of hand for others. There are so many great ones out there but like anything, moderation is key.

1) I first recognized that flashlights are tools for seeing in the dark, they aren't shelf queens, they aren't irreplaceable they aren't exotic...well for my uses anyway. Once I define something for a specific use, limits come into place.

2) I defined the parameters, one tool for each need and it has to be either AA or AAA. It has to be neutral white or better for CRI. It has to have no PWM.

3) Then price limits come into play and I search for the best performer for the dollar.

4) Then I defined the scope, one headlamp, one tactical, one pocket/keychain, one thrower, one modded, one old school (which I already had).

These definitions really narrow down the choices and really, there is not another light out there that I need or want. All the lights I have fit and fulfill a specific possible trigger. My result is what you see below.

I still come here to look and see what is the latest hub-bub..but as far as acquisitions go, I can't find a void to fill...so the impulse leaves.

Last edited:

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know that feeling, right?

Having something in the mail...

saypat

Enlightened
most likely it is an addiction. I am very level headed, doesn't matter. I have over 100 lights now. I spent maybe < $2500. I have finally quit for the most part. I mean what does a new light do that one of my others doesn't?

waiting for something in the mail is exciting, I agree.

I could not get rid of all my lights .... maybe keep 10 at the most would be doable.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I confess that it can sometimes feel like a problem. So many lights with different batteries, and now and then I don't find the light I want to use for the moment. And where is the spare cells to bring with me? Somewhere in some other light?...
Several times I have tried to limit my collection byt thinking: if I had to choose only ONE flashlight, which would it be? I can make that decision. But only one light can't fulfill my needs. Then I continue: if I had to choose only TWO? And THREE...FIVE...TEN...TWENTY. And every time I come to that conclusion that I don't succeed with these kind of attempts.

BUT: I am going to get rid of several lights I have no need of, for example when I have different lights who are too similar to justify keeping both. Or when I don't use an outdated model because I have got a new better.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reminder Fuchshp. I don't own much, but still aspire to own less.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

ven

Flashaholic
You know that feeling, right?

Having something in the mail...

:naughty:

Thing is, torches are no too bad, well compared to cars, watches and even knives/ guns. All are tools, all fun and interesting to research and collect for many(money allowing with all of them). No one is perfect, just enjoy the ride if its budget or custom, as long as fun is being had and getting used to help justify............life is too short to get hung up on regrets. The question is, what would take the place of this hobby/interest............could it be more addictive,costly etc.

For me other than tools, i enjoy reading up on here, posts/threads etc . So it all plays a part in my interest:) Although i have thinned the herd, dont buy as many as i did a bit back. Now i am more select and have been for a while, specific choices for specific applications(size/UI/led/CT etc). Even all these years on, my interest has never waned and feel as passionate and interested as ever.

There will always be lights outside of my budget..........many lights! but it does not stop me reading up and drooling over others pics of them:) I have been content for a while, but still feel the need now and then to broaden my collection.

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
Why would I want to fight this? It's a hobby, not an addictive habit that is taking control over my life. I'm not draining bank accounts and cashing in kids' college funds to support it. I still pay all my bills on time and can afford food for my family.. so why should it stop? No one complains, about this or my knives, guns, tools, computer stuff, blu-ray collection, etc.

I'm sure others out there DO have a problem.. they ARE spending uncontrollably and in a destructive manner.. but I think it is rather presumptuous to state that "a lot of us" have this problem.

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
Good thoughts, Fuchshp. I often need to remind myself that I can't use more than 4 lights at one time :ohgeez:, and that my mini "library" of 6 EDC lights gives me plenty of choices, along with the other lights scattered around my life in specific spots for specific purposes (cars, work, etc.). I like the technical aspect of the hobby, and it allows me to give great gifts to people who don't think they want or need a[nother] light. For example, I'll be giving some high-CRI keychain lights to the inspectors that work for me this year at Christmas. They'll appreciate the anodize color and the initials that I'll engrave more than the high CRI light, and I'll enjoy knowing how much tech is making their jobs easier and maybe even slightly more enjoyable.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get one that's practical and reliable, that you really like, where you get that confirmation dopamine kick everytime you use it, and carry it all the time.

wjv

Enlightened
>>> How to fight your flashlight buying addiction

I usually just buy another lever-action rifle instead. . .

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>> How to fight your flashlight buying addiction

I usually just buy another lever-action rifle instead. . .
No way, revolvers scratch the itch much better!
Magnum semi-auto pistol works, too. Grizzly 45 Win Mag gets my vote.

--------------
If it is too light weight to do bicep curls, then it is not too heavy to hip holster edc.