Okavango living

Okavango living

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys, I am new to CPF and I live in the beautiful Okavango Delta in Northern Botswana, lots of wild animals, I have a Ledlenser F1R and am quite impressed with it, I was wondering if there is a flashlight that would have the same type of beam and spill, just maybe two or three times brighter

Keitho

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. I'm definitely jealous of your home area, and hope to visit sometime.

As far as light recommendations, filling out the template in this forum will help a lot, since there are countless options. A key point to remember is that double or triple the light (lumens) will not necessarily result in double or triple the perceived brightness. That concept is explained very well on the HDS FAQ section under "what is visually even brightness spacing?" And "What is the logarithmic nature of my eyes?" http://www.hdssystems.com/Content/LightFaq

What it means is that if you switch from a 1000 lumen light to a 1500 lumen light with equal optics, the perceived brightness increase will only be "small but noticeable." To double the perceived brightness, you need a light with about 10 times the luminous flux (measured in lumens), assuming the same optics.

The practical consequence? Since carrying a light with 10x the weight and size probably isn't reasonable in order to double the perceived brightness, other variables will need to be changed to meet your use case: mainly beam focus, runtime, size, and weight. Those all affect cost, of course.

Looking forward to hearing some specifics about what you're after; there are a lot of knowledgeable folks willing to jump in and help.