Fire Fighter Search and Rescue Light

clearkevin

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys
I've done a fair bit of reading on here and have yet to find what I'm looking for hence the thread. I am a volunteer fire fighter and the Chief knowing I'm a bit of a gear guy asked if I would research and recommend some hand held lights primarily for search and rescue. The lights I keep seeing recommended have one common problem which is batteries you have to manage in some way. What I need is a light that you put on a dock on the truck and forget about till next time. We have good scene lights what I'm looking for is handheld search and rescue. Budget is a consideration because we need to buy 6-8 so that each team could have a light. We already have helmet lights and TIC's in our masks so these are not primarily for structure fires but for larger area searches. The main light on my mind now would be the olight r50 seeker but I'm concerned that it would not have enough throw. Thanks for your help.

Keitho

Enlightened
I think olight is a good brand for what you're after--good value, rechargeable. If you want to preserve your reputation as "gear guy," start by recommending the X7R, the newest and most expensive high tech from olight. Once the sticker shock wears off a little, it will be easier to sell one of the less expensive options.

For people to help out more with their replies, exactly what are you after? High output flooder for situational awareness, high throw for piercing through smoke and further away, light weight, some combination of those...

Rockjunkie15

Newly Enlightened
Something like the Acebeam T30 for the throw side of things or fenix TK65R for the floodier side of things. Both are recharcheable in a vehicle or at the station and well built lights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight Strion. Charger mounted somewhere convenient.
I did not mention the HL model because the HL means high lumens up close. Not ideal for cutting through smoke. If it's primarily for non smoke filled conditions the HL version is great.

xfzIalK.jpg

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Strion is good, but for throw, why not the HPL model?
Also consider the Streamlight Ultra Stinger LED. It has a lot of lux and lumens and uses a similar charging mount.

Survivor711

Newly Enlightened
I have always had good luck with the Fenix Flashlights. Not sure on the specs for Firefighters if you are going into explosives areas though.

arKmm

Enlightened
Another vote for Streamlight Stinger. Probably the LED HL version as you'd be doing mostly close up scene illumination work.