Good ebay store for LED tape?

Colorblend

Newly Enlightened
I have undertaken a massive project in tearing apart some of the outhouse and building a proper workshop/garage. Due to circumstances beyond my control I will end up with a pretty low ceiling height (about 205 cm or seven feet). The plan was to put up normal fluorescent tubes to a total of 6-7 units of 64 watts each but that means practical height will be even lower. I started thinking about LED tape, just put that on 3-4 thin boards and attach it on the ceiling, should not be more than an inch in decreased height. So that is now an option but that stuff seems rather expensive to buy from the regular stores where I live, does anyone have good experiences with some ebay store? Or can give me some pointers on what to look for and what to avoid? From what I read it seems you need to be careful not to mix up lumens/metre and lumens/feet and that choices are plenty when it comes to color temperature, color, adjustable colors and so on. This is just a plain workshop so cold bright white and reliable circuits is good enough.

Ebay is always a jungle when you start checking out new stuff, any tips? The room will be only 35 square metres but I want plenty of light.

nbp

Flashaholic
Your post was approved, but it would be better to focus the discussion on the items vs. promoting ebay sellers, so it doesn't look like advertising. Thanks.

rollandelliott

Newly Enlightened
just stick with the common 5050 leds that come in 5 meter strips.
all of the leds strips come with really crappy doublesided tape that will eventually fail so plan on using zip ties or clear plastic with screws on either side.
AVOID the double and triple or even quad row strips, yes they are brighter, but they typically use too much current and thus get hot!!!!

you can use old pc power supplies to run the strips the dell da2 is around $10 and is 18 amps at 12v.

Agpp

Enlightened
It's best to use strips with alu profiles, to help with heat. Also, for the same reason, avoid IPX6/8 strips.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.usledsupply.com/shop/ is a forum member, sells strips, and is OK to deal with. I agree with Agpp that you should mount your strips on flat pieces of aluminum, to help cool them. You might want to add your own glue too, sometimes the stock glue fails.