Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

Swede74

Enlightened
The main purpose of this thread is to discuss differences between two new AA lights from Zebralight: the SC5 II and the SC53.

For specific information about the SC5c II, I recommend this thread, and for information about the SC53c/w, I recommend this thread.

SC5 IISC53
Head diameter1.0 inch (25.4 mm)0.96 inch (23.6 mm)
Length3.2 inch (80.3 mm)3 inch (77.6 mm)
Weight1.8 oz (49 gram) 1.4 oz (40 gram)

Zebralight SC5c IIZebralight SC53cZebralight SC53w

OutputTimelumens*hOutputTimelumens*hOutputTimelumens*h
H1475+352

2850,9h2573300,9h297
H2a3520,9h3172381,6h3812751,6h440
H2b2361,5h3541712,3h3931982,3h455
H2c1442,8h4031064,2h4451224,2h512
M1794,9h387568,5h476658,5h552
M2a
9,6h3842621h5463021h630
M2b1821h37810,341h4221241h492
M2c7,448h3553,54,5d3784,14,5d442
L12,84,2d282113d342
1,213d374
L2a114d3360,261,1mo2090,31
1,1mo250
L2b0,2850d3360,062,2mo970,072,2mo113
L2c0,084,3mo2520,013,3mo240,0133,3mo31
Output, runtimes and dimensions provided by Zebralight

SC5c II pros: Noticeably brighter on H1.
More aggressive knurling (personal preference)
Warmer tint (personal preference) and higher CRI

SC5c II cons: Clip is much too tight
Switch feels "gritty" when the light gets very hot. (my specimen) I believe this is caused by air trapped underneath the switch cover.

SC53w pros: If I am interpreting the data in my own table correctly, the SC53w is significantly more efficient in H2, M1 and M2
Smaller size. It actually feels even smaller in the hand than the dimensions suggest.

SC53w cons: Clip is still on the tight side, but not nearly as bad as the SC5c.

IMG_20170823_171015_resized.jpg

Side by side.

IMG_20170823_171123_resized.jpg

IMG_20170823_171234_resized.jpg

Looks can deceive. The SC53w is smaller than its big brother SC5c II.

IMG_20170823_171420_resized.jpg

IMG_20170823_174014_resized.jpg

IMG_20170823_170436_resized.jpg

Pogo pins inside the SC5 II tailcap; the spring inside the SC53 tailcap is larger than the one used for the SC52

sc53led_resized.jpg

LED slightly off-center on the SC53w. It does not seem to affect beam pattern.

IMG_20170823_170419_resized.jpg

That blob of solder is somewhat annoying, like a very small chip in the paint on the inside of the fuel cap door on a brand new car. It does not affect performance, but once you have discovered that it is there, it takes a while to push it to the back of your mind.

sc5c-595276475776.png

test2-12037184472185.png

sc53w198-.jpg

I used Zak's excellent app Ceilingbounce for the runtime tests.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main purpose of this thread is to discuss differences between two new AA lights from Zebralight: the SC5 II and the SC53.

Excellent comparison! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I've been hoping somebody would.

Are you going to do any side-by-side beamshots?

If I am interpreting the data in my own table correctly, the SC53w is significantly more efficient in H2, M1 and M2

The M2A lumen-hours figure works works out to 182 lumens/Watt for Eneloop Pro in the SC53c. That's not fundamentally out of the question, but I'm a bit awestruck if the driver and LED really do work so efficiently together in low modes.

Smaller size. It actually feels even smaller in the hand than the dimensions suggest.

How about for pocket fit?

Is there any chance you have access to a pair of calipers to take a measurement of the width of the narrower side of the head on the H53?

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks! I've been using my SC52w a bit more lately, and always disappointed all the new 1xAA are not that size. It's not much on paper, but a HUGE difference when you pick it up.

I'm guessing the SC53w is pretty close to the SC52w, but it's hard to tell without having both. I can say, the SC5 (version 1) was a brick!

Keitho

Enlightened
Very interesting lumen*hr numbers. I would have guessed it getting more and more efficient the lower the level, but it peaks around M2. I guess I thought I kinda understood how the ZL drivers worked, but I must be wrong.

By the way, I found the clip little too tight, also. A little judicious bending got it juuuust right.

I'm loving my new SC53c, it is a tiny little beauty with a great high CRI beam, perfect for me around the house. It is by itself on my nightstand. If I want more lumens, there is always a D4 or another Zebralight close by me (that I can use to help find my X7vn)!

Swede74

Enlightened
Excellent comparison! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I've been hoping somebody would.

Are you going to do any side-by-side beamshots?

Of course, how could I forget? I knew there was something I was supposed to do...

IMG_20170823_223953_resized.jpg

SC53w to the left, SC5c II to the right. Both lights on max output. ISO 200, white balance set to "Daylight"

IMG_20170823_224051_resized.jpg

SC53w to the left, SC5c II to the right. Both lights on max output. ISO 200, white balance set to "Fluorescent"

IMG_20170823_224118_resized.jpg

Both lights in M1, WB=Daylight

IMG_20170823_224108_resized.jpg

Both lights in M1, WB=Fluorescent

IMG_20170823_230307_resized.jpg

Max output, WB=Fluorescent

IMG_20170823_230343_resized.jpg

Max output, WB=Fluorescent

How about for pocket fit?

It fits all my pockets :) Since I do not mind carrying something as big as a SC600 in my trouser pocket (I usually wear loose-fit clothes) I may not be the best person to ask about pocket fit.

Is there any chance you have access to a pair of calipers to take a measurement of the width of the narrower side of the head on the H53?

I have access to a pair of low budget calipers but using them is not my forte. I am not exactly sure what you mean by the narrower side of the head - I assume you you mean the side that sort of tapers, where the switch is located. I have tried to take some measurements, I hope you will find what you are looking for somewhere in the following bunch of pictures.

1_resized.jpg

Link to full size image: https://s29.postimg.org/7aqschj8n/image.jpg

3_resized.jpg

Link to full size image: https://s29.postimg.org/ocjmeky3r/image.jpg

5_resized.jpg

6_resized.jpg

8_resized.jpg

9_resized.jpg

Awesome pics and info, thanks for taking the time and sharing swede:)

You are very welcome!

I'm guessing the SC53w is pretty close to the SC52w, but it's hard to tell without having both. I can say, the SC5 (version 1) was a brick!

5253.jpg

The SC53 is ever so slightly smaller. On the outside, that is. :laughing:

I'm loving my new SC53c, it is a tiny little beauty with a great high CRI beam, perfect for me around the house. It is by itself on my nightstand.

The "w"-version is just as easy to fall in love with. Since I rarely need more than 300-500 lumens, I believe mine will become a constant companion on nightly walks this fall.

Last edited:

Dio

Newly Enlightened
Hello all! Nice thread!!

I joined the forum here (been lurking a while) as I just got a SC53Fc and SC5W II the other day and wanted to add some thoughts and reflections on the two..

Firstly, a few people will likely think I made a typo - I didn't - I did in fact get a SC53Fc.

Due to reading numerous people complaining about the mixed up beam colours (and overall lean towards yellow) of the "c" emitters that ZL are currently using, I decided to request a frosted lens to smooth things out. I also prefer a floody beam for most of my uses around the house and while walking at night.

ZL were more than happy to help and judging by the fact the light and box both came marked SC53Fc I have concluded the "F" models must be nearly in production anyway. That or their customer satisfaction is just that good they were willing to do a semi custom order and mark the light to suit?!?

OK, so the part you all want to know, how it performs.. in a word: awesome! It certainly has an overall yellow tint when there is a fair amount of ambient light and when compared to the SC5W II but when used at night, on its' own, it is truly something else. I live in the bush so my uses mostly entail viewing lots of green/browns and usually a distinct or complete lack of white surfaces and objects so for these situations it really does well.

Unfortunately I was walking with both lights and after using the SC5w II for a while, the SC53c did appear a little off in terms of beam tint.

What this all means to me is that I am now giving the SC53Fc to the Mrs as she commented how warm it was and really likes its size "it's just perfect" is how she described the feel of it in her hands and I have to agree. I will obviously be requesting a SC53Fw now to ensure I have two lights with similar tint.

The SC5 II feels awesome compared to the original chunky beast that was the SC5 but the SC53 just feels even better IMO. My hands aren't huge but aren't small either and I took the clips straight off so that may play a part in perceived comfort..

Overall, SC5w II has great tint (not perfect uniform tint from hotspot to spill but beautiful white hotspot) when used other than wall hunting and SC53Fc has beautiful tint when used alone. SC53 just feels perfect in my hand but the SC5 II is very close behind. I think I prefer the lack of knurling and finger groove the SC53 offers. If the SC53 had the same output as SC5 II then it would be a no brainer -> SC53 all day.. As it stands I chose the SC5 for that bit more throw and the SC53 (with frosted lens) as I really don't need more than 300L of floody light to illuminate up to 10m in front of me. My strides are 1m max so really don't need to see more than 10 steps ahead of me to comfortably walk at night...

Hopefully someone got something out of all of that :eek:

timbo813

Newly Enlightened
I just got a sc53c a couple days ago. It's my first zebralight and I am very impressed. The light feels smaller than I expected. The quality and interface are great. I can see why so many people love zebralight. It makes a lot of sense that they have one interface that works well and they stick with it. (Yes, the new ones have additional options but the basic programming is still the same)

The color of the beam is taking a little getting used to. It doesn't seem as bright but you can still see what you are looking at very well. Seems to have less light bounce back. Colors definitely do show up better than my cool white lights. As I use it more the color is growing on me.

Zak

Enlightened
I'm curious about how the numbers hold up in independent testing. Those lumen-hour numbers in particular assume perfectly constant output, and that just isn't so for most lights even with a boost driver. Some runtime graphs and actual lumen-hour numbers would be, err... illuminating. Rumor has it there's an app for that.

It looks like the corona and spill are a significantly different tint from the hotspot in some of the SC5c shots, which seems to be a common issue with the latest generation of Cree products. Does it look that way in person? I really wish Zebralight didn't hate Nichia.

ven

Flashaholic
My sc5c mkII XP-L2 easywhite 4000k hi cri is different to the above pics. It is yellow , quite a bit more yellow from the several 219c 4000k nichia's i have(if anyone knows the 219c 4k they will know what i mean by towards yellow, like a 219b can be rosy). The 219c 4000k is towards yellow, but nowhere like this XP-L2..............it is yellow. Once i got used to it , its not as bad as i 1st thought. Just not ideal to compare with other "tints" as it makes it worse still. However yellow apart! it does make colours look great(other than whites which look discoloured............dirty:duh2:). I can cope and do enjoy it when used, but i wont be getting another xp-l2 easywhite unless guaranteed no yellow or at least a lot less yellow.

Swede74

Enlightened
I should mention that my camera exaggerates the difference between the two lights. Not so much the plate and the food items, but the white towel under the plate does not look as red/rosy in real life when illuminated by the SC5c II as it does in the picture.

Swede74

Enlightened
I'm curious about how the numbers hold up in independent testing. Those lumen-hour numbers in particular assume perfectly constant output, and that just isn't so for most lights even with a boost driver. Some runtime graphs and actual lumen-hour numbers would be, err... illuminating. Rumor has it there's an app for that.

I have downloaded your app and am in the process of doing a runtime test on the SC53w in H1. Since I have no one to hold my hand and walk me through ;) calibration, building a proper integration device and other technical stuff, and due to time constraints and sheer laziness, I doubt any more tests will follow. I will, however, post a runtime graph if and when I figure out how to do it.

test-5235202172984.png

I opened the door to my integration wardrobe a couple of times during the test, and might have inadvertently blocked the light sensor while looking at the screen.

I think I have to put my laziness on the pack burner and redo the test, just to make sure the SC53w was really in H1. ~70 minutes sounds almost too good to be true. I used a brand new, fully charged Fujitsu HR-3UTHC, 2450mAh cell.

Edit: I redid the test and got a more plausible result. See next post. The graph above probably reflects runtime in H2 (275 lm). Sorry about the confusion.

It looks like the corona and spill are a significantly different tint from the hotspot in some of the SC5c shots, which seems to be a common issue with the latest generation of Cree products. Does it look that way in person? I really wish Zebralight didn't hate Nichia.

Yes, unfortunately. It is quite noticeable in person.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Pretty solid performance for 50 minutes or so. Not bad out of this little light. I do like the omission of a 1 or 3 minute turbo then stepdown. I just don't have enough self control to keep from using that all the time :)

Zak

Enlightened
I'll be adding a lumen-hours feature at some point for people with calibrated setups. Maybe percent-hours for those without so you can convert based on published figures.

The second graph is about the behavior I expected: solid performance with about 50 minutes to 80%, but not flat. Few lights are flat in their highest mode.

Swede74

Enlightened
Well Done!
All your pics are very helpful. I especially appreciate the beam comparisons with daylight white balance (fluorescent I would skip in future)

Thank you for the kind words. Here is another one:

sc5c-595276475776.png

Swede74

Enlightened
Hello all! Nice thread!!

I joined the forum here (been lurking a while) as I just got a SC53Fc and SC5W II the other day and wanted to add some thoughts and reflections on the two..

Firstly, a few people will likely think I made a typo - I didn't - I did in fact get a SC53Fc.

Due to reading numerous people complaining about the mixed up beam colours (and overall lean towards yellow) of the "c" emitters that ZL are currently using, I decided to request a frosted lens to smooth things out. I also prefer a floody beam for most of my uses around the house and while walking at night.

ZL were more than happy to help and judging by the fact the light and box both came marked SC53Fc I have concluded the "F" models must be nearly in production anyway. That or their customer satisfaction is just that good they were willing to do a semi custom order and mark the light to suit?!?

OK, so the part you all want to know, how it performs.. in a word: awesome! It certainly has an overall yellow tint when there is a fair amount of ambient light and when compared to the SC5W II but when used at night, on its' own, it is truly something else. I live in the bush so my uses mostly entail viewing lots of green/browns and usually a distinct or complete lack of white surfaces and objects so for these situations it really does well.

Unfortunately I was walking with both lights and after using the SC5w II for a while, the SC53c did appear a little off in terms of beam tint.

What this all means to me is that I am now giving the SC53Fc to the Mrs as she commented how warm it was and really likes its size "it's just perfect" is how she described the feel of it in her hands and I have to agree. I will obviously be requesting a SC53Fw now to ensure I have two lights with similar tint.

The SC5 II feels awesome compared to the original chunky beast that was the SC5 but the SC53 just feels even better IMO. My hands aren't huge but aren't small either and I took the clips straight off so that may play a part in perceived comfort..

Overall, SC5w II has great tint (not perfect uniform tint from hotspot to spill but beautiful white hotspot) when used other than wall hunting and SC53Fc has beautiful tint when used alone. SC53 just feels perfect in my hand but the SC5 II is very close behind. I think I prefer the lack of knurling and finger groove the SC53 offers. If the SC53 had the same output as SC5 II then it would be a no brainer -> SC53 all day.. As it stands I chose the SC5 for that bit more throw and the SC53 (with frosted lens) as I really don't need more than 300L of floody light to illuminate up to 10m in front of me. My strides are 1m max so really don't need to see more than 10 steps ahead of me to comfortably walk at night...

Hopefully someone got something out of all of that :eek:

Thank you for your input Dio, and :welcome: I almost wish that I too had requested a frosted a frosted lens for my SC5c as the tint variation across the beam profile is quite noticeable and a little bit distracting. Since I ordered from a dealer I did not have that option.

Zebralight, if you are reading this; snap-on diffusers for all of your lights as an optional accessory would be much appreciated.

One more runtime test (SC53w, 198 lm) added to the first post.