Hurricane Harvey: Members Please Check In! BE SAFE!!!

markr6

Flashaholic
Re: Hurricane Harvey: Coastal cities in Texas begin evacuating

This looks REALLY bad! Such a slow storm, even stalling if not backtracking a bit. Not the usual blow you away and see you later hurricane.

terjee

Enlightened

Supposedly worst in 12 years in the US, and worst in 47 years in Texas. Just for perspective, this is now the leading headline on almost all the Norwegian newspapers, and we're pretty small and far away.

Hope anyone in the area is staying safe.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Crossing my fingers for everyone in the path of the storm. I hope it fizzles out quickly.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope any Members in its path are and stay safe. Living along the Gulf Coast, we are usually ready and are now getting prepared. I had to get my personal stuff (most of it) situated and family members squared. Now we brace for a possible impact. The moving slow part is going to be devastating.
If you have never experienced a Hurricane, it can be scary. I had the roof ripped off of one of my houses. It wasn't bad until the winds switched directions. I should also mention there are all the small tornados that spawn off. They can do some serious damage. I had a small one cut through my back yard and thrash my fence. It is crazy how it sucks the air out of your house. I live 27 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. 27 Miles to a hurricane is NOTHING!
Anyways, Good Luck to all.

Greta

Flashaholic
Bumping this thread and changing the title....

CPF Members please check in when you can! I think I speak for all that our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours and we'll be waiting to hear that you are safe!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking of everyone near the hurricane and hoping that you all hang in there!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a sister in Houston that I haven't heard from since Friday now, I'm guessing her cell phone service is down as my calls to her go to voice message.

terjee

Enlightened
I have a sister in Houston that I haven't heard from since Friday now, I'm guessing her cell phone service is down as my calls to her go to voice message.

There have been reports of major loss of cell phone service, so that's quite likely.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A big salute goes out to first responders, police, fire personnel and hospital personnel.

While folks are warned in advance to get the heck out these folks have no choice but to stay. Meanwhile their homes are destroyed too. Their celphones are out and their families are devasted, yet they bravely face the perils of assisting as their duty requires.

A salute to the folks who monitor local schools and churches where storm victims flock. They too deserve a shout out.

It sounds like Harvey has been dealing areas of Texas and Louisianna an upper cut, left to the jaw and now sits on the chest dealing out slaps to the cheeks to a whole lot of people.
May God be with each one as this thing continues to unfold. Life will go on for most. Residents will likely pull together in ways they never imagined. Friends will be made and stories will abound as one of the worst storms to hit Texas in a long time becomes a bad memory.

I've lived through some doozies and always remember one thing after it was over... looking around at all of the carnage it was always the neighbor talking to neighbor under the blue-est sky imaginable while breathing crisp clean air and thanking our lucky stars we lived to tell about it.

The last one I went through I remember how happy neighbors were to have coffee. My wife and I carried coffee in thermos's around and each neighbor was so appreciative to have that morning cup. We brewed pot after pot using a gas grill to heat water then pour it through the filter of an electric coffee machine. We live inland of hurricane evacuation routes knowing millions of others got it worse than we did.

For the first time experienced folks out there, the trees will grow back, the homes will be rebuilt, the power will return. But the memories of life after a hurricane always makes a little bit sweeter.

God bless and take care.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Like Lynx, I also have a sister in Houston; she still has power and cell service, but that's not the story for the whole neighborhood, so everyone hang in there and check in.

The Houston forecast shows nonstop thunderstorms for the entirety of the ~7 day foreseeable future, averaging four inches of rain per hour until further notice, so this is just the opening round of flooding.

Texas locals/iHeartRadio users can hear live local call-ins at KKTX 1360 AM.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Anyone else seeing this live CNN coverage? They're rolling through [what used to be] a ****inson suburb in a rescue boat, the whole neighborhood is a loss; most houses have a hole punched in the roof where inhabitants had to climb out of their attics, the boat just passed the backend of a Honda Civic that was just below the surface of the water, so the water level in the middle of this neighborhood is well over the roofline of a car..

All highways are submerged, all airports closed, and there appears to be only one inland hospital open.

The CNN boat has stopped at a house to rescue a woman and two elderly parents who've decided to leave their house, they're exiting by the front door where the waterline is just below the level of the knocker..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Addicks and Barker reservoirs on the West side of Houston are going to have to be opened beginning at 2AM local time tomorrow morning; neighborhoods in the area will be flooded, the city is asking for voluntary evacuation of those areas. Projected flood maps are posted on the Harris Country Flood Control website [which is currently down]. Some of these neighborhoods are projected to remain flooded for several months.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Hoping Mr. Muyshondt and his family are all OK. He is down there somewhere, I would have to go to my office to see the city he lives in from the shipping and invoice on file, however I think he was in the area hit. So if you see this Mr. Muyshondt, let us know, only if you can.

My Brother in law lives in Katy, TX, a suburb of Houston, and they are all doing well. Kids scared as I would expect, due to the tornado warnings for the area. My wife is flying this on all our TV screens in the house 24/7 as she is so worried.

What a nightmare. Hope all our CPF members, friends, family and everyone stays safe as this is not over just yet. Also, it may be hard for many, many people and members to check in here what with power issues and flashlights as a hobby the last thing on their mind except for using them for survival which is a big reason we all have them.

Plesae stay safe down there, are thoughts are with you.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Areas around the Brazos River in Fort Bend county, just SW of Houston are subject to mandatory evacuation, ~50,000 residents affected; the nearby levy is sound but they're about to be locked in by water. Adjacent neighborhoods are offered assistance for voluntary evacuation, another ~70,000 residents.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Quick check of traffic during an overnight lull in the storm:
LhudID4.jpg

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW: My wife's best friend & family lives on the north side of Houston. They talked yesterday. Her friend had a couple inches of standing water in their yard, nothing in their house, yet. They do have electric power and comms. The friend also said that they could not evacuate any more <<via their own vehicles>> since all of the roads out are flooded.

heard on FoxNews this morning, Mon 28AU7: a resident commented <paraphrased>: "this is bayou country. even a drizzle will flood something".

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My sister still has power/comms, but she's growing concerned about water rising at the end of her street. She's within a few miles of where the Cypress creek is about to go over its banks, the neighborhoods in that immediate area will be lost.

A local reporter is now riding with the "Cajun Navy"/volunteer rescuers with boats through a neighborhood adjacent to where the Barker reservoir is being released; each time they cut to her the boat is full of people they've rescued, and literally each house the cameraman turns to down the entire length of the street has people standing at their doorways, waiting by the windows, towels hung out, waiting to be rescued. And this is one of the neighborhoods projected to remain flooded for months.

The online streams of the local TV channels have been remarkably reliable, more so than the radio station streams, which is good news since the TV stations have more resources and info. I've got a spare iPad with Houston's Channel 13 left running on it.

And now a different reporter over in NE Houston is live with a rescued woman who is now in labor..

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Imagine what the people who fled to Houston post Katrina are thinking

_