Vintage Kellite 2C (Kel-Lite CPL-2)

konifans

Enlightened
First of all I would like to thank bykfixer who helped me with getting this light. I got this from the founder of Kel-Lite, Don Keller. This is a piece of history, and Don is the game changer of the industry of flashlight in the 20th century.

Great little 2C light. It is solid built, small and good looking.

The light was designed from 1969-1972 by Don Keller and this copy is the first generation, it should be produced in 1971-1974 according to the information from Kellite.com. The light was produced in Barstow, CA.

DSC_4117.jpg

DSC_4103.jpg

DSC_4078.jpg

DSC_4142.jpg

DSC_4128.jpg

The light is shorter than the 2C Maglite ML25iT

DSC_4076.jpg

The head is actually smaller than the Maglite standard C or D cell.
Maglite 2C V.S. Kellite 2C

DSC_4084.jpg

Surefire 6Z V.S. Kellite 2C
DSC_4086.jpg

Maglite 2AA V.S. Kel-Lite 2C
DSC_4088.jpg

DSC_4060.jpg

DSC_4096.jpg

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened
Wow, beautiful. How does the switch operate on the Kellite? Does the whole switch slide back anf forth on the body of the light, or does the center of the switch move, while the sides remain stationary? Just thinking along the lines of scratching on the main body of the light.

konifans

Enlightened
Wow, beautiful. How does the switch operate on the Kellite? Does the whole switch slide back anf forth on the body of the light, or does the center of the switch move, while the sides remain stationary? Just thinking along the lines of scratching on the main body of the light.

This is the 1st generation so it is the whole switch moving, and it does scratch the barrel but nothing serious. The switch is plastic.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 3 generations of Kel-Lite switches:

JgbHeIV.jpg

The Don Keller designed slider (generation 1)
Buttery smooth off or on. Attached contact strip slides back n forth with the switch making contact with reflector or not. Idea begun way back in the Franco and Ray-o-lite days of mid 1910's.

9fHEraK.jpg

The Norm Nelson designed slider (generation 2)
Note, mid-way signaler ability. Fixed contact strip always touches reflector. Contact takes place or not inside the switch assembly. Distinct off, signaler, on points. Idea began in the 1920's.
Also note most had a red button but some had a black button.

KliL6U5.jpg

The push button. Generation 3 Kel-Lites were made by Streamlight.
Not that much different than Maglite switches.

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened
I like that second gen switch, looks pretty purposeful. On your pic bykf you can just barely see that little bit of scratching. Haha, if jelousy is a curse, then i'm cursed with looking at both lots of pics. Very nice.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In case fans is worried about scrathing by the switch plate... here's how my beater has held up over the years

Gwo1u1m.jpg

Kinda beat up frontal area

C7YaELw.jpg

Missing anodize in the rear

cZWELrV.jpg

Switch marks.

So the plastic switch plate really doesn't mar the coating all that much... provided grit doesn't get between the cover and the light.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 4C Kel-lite was purchased in 1976 for a trip to Europe, and is 1st generation. I got it in a sporting goods store that sold good-quality gear, and I was impressed with how well-made it was.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Man, that 4C is a goody too.

I did a fun mod that's a simple, reversable mod...
3 Rayovac e-cell alkalines and a 3 cell maglite krypton bulb. Yup, no insta-poof with the krypton.

I did a 2x 18500 LifePo4 with a 4 cell xenon to the CPL-2.

Being Kel-Lite used the same parts for lights up to 7 cells I knew no melting issues are a concern.

harro

Enlightened
cZWELrV.jpg

Switch marks.

So the plastic switch plate really doesn't mar the coating all that much... provided grit doesn't get between the cover and the light.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much nothing, and certainly nothing that a small sharpie wouldn't fix, if it became a worry. Thx for the great pics.

konifans

Enlightened
Got one more Kel-Lite 2C!
Note the Knurling on the barrel is a little bit different.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yessssssssss!!!

Now question:
Is the knurling on the one on the left "more gentle"?... it seems I read somewhere that the knurling was made more 'holster' friendly along the way...
I wondered if a bit more area was knurled to make up for the potential lack of grip or... were the early ones less grippy than users preferred so perhaps they added more area in later editions?...

Just curious. Both are gorgeous btw.

Last edited:

konifans

Enlightened
Yessssssssss!!!

Now question:
Is the knurling on the one on the left "more gentle"?... it seems I read somewhere that the knurling was made more 'holster' friendly along the way...
I wondered if a bit more area was knurled to make up for the potential lack of grip or... were the early ones less grippy than users preferred so perhaps they added more area in later editions?...

Just curious. Both are gorgeous btw.

Actually, the right one has more gentle knurling.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice!! I can't believe I missed this thread. I was lucky enough to pick one up with a lanyard ring end cap a while back. Nice little light and I use it all the time!

hZng3RR.jpg

I7Ii5pd.jpg

nrINJM8.jpg

I have a blog where I posted most of my old Kel-Lites too if you're interested: http://otherflashlights.blogspot.com/

I mostly collect Maglites but I've wound up with a bunch of other lights over the years too. Nice to see interest in these lights and other folks that keep helping to keep them around and in use!

konifans

Enlightened
Then I would speculate the one on the left was machined before the one on the right based on feed back from police asking for less aggressive knurling... but I say "machined before" as a serial number may show otherwise.

You are right. The serial number of the right one is 6594541 and the left one is 2343751.
I just found that the barrel of the right one is a bit longer than the left one, and they have different reflectors and different bulb holder. I will post some photos here.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's a fun little mod for the 2C that is completely reversable.

IMG_20170911_125158.jpg

2- LifePo4 18500's, a 4 cell krypton and a (19mm) 3/4" piece of pvc gas pipe cut to length.

The PR based Maglite xenon is even brighter but kryptons are still easier to find and provides a nicer overall beam.

IMG_20170911_130029.jpg

Left is the 4 cell, right is the stock bulb mine came with.
It provides a very respectable output.
A 5 cell bulb would be closer to matched voltage sent to the bulb, while the batteries over drive a 4 cell bulb. But so far I've yet to poof a 4 cell krypton or xenon using these batteries in a few different 2C lights.

The batteries are available in box stores in the US called "solar lamp" batteries. I don't know how available they are where you are konifans. But anything higher output than LifePo4's would insta-poof a 4 cell bulb.

Last edited:

konifans

Enlightened
The batteries are available in box stores in the US called "solar lamp" batteries. I don't know how available they are where you are konifans. But anything higher output than LifePo4's would insta-poof a 4 cell bulb.

I have some Soshine AA size Lifepo4, it should work with AA to C cell adapter.:D Will try to get some good quality 18500.

konifans

Enlightened
Comparison of two Kel-Lite CPL-2
The left one is from Don Keller's collection and the right one is from an ebayer who purchased in 1970S.

The left one is a bit shorter.

Different bulb holders and reflector gaskets. I believe the right one is original.

Different reflectors.

Note the thickness of the rims.

The beams.

Edit: both are having Mag 2-cell bulb, the left one has fresh battery so it looks brighter.

Last edited: