Hammock camping in Burn Country. Space meal and Staghorn Sumac tea.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Back on the trail. This area has lots of snakes and bears so gotta keep a clean camp plus an eye on my hands and feet. Tons of biting nasty little gnats, mosquitoes and horse flies.

l9XtQXd.jpg

My warm weather trail backpack. The Smart water bottle has been a winner as it fits in the side pocket of most packs, is UL and comes free with the water.

uZBSTFk.jpg

Bear defense. I had several encounters in this area over the years.

xgEZyax.jpg

Vented back.

9StLo0n.jpg

I keep my poncho in a place which can be accessed without the need to go though the pack. It is looped around a strap just in case. This will all come into play the next day.

KAV2sos.jpg

Well worn little natural raised rock platform which the trail goes along.

dCRsBiL.jpg

Staghorn Sumac. I am going to make the legendary Stag horn Sumac Sawyer squeeze cold tea. As always don't consume (or drink in this case) any wild edible unless you know the score.

eB9fcTE.jpg

There was a mixture of Black Hucks and Blue berries about. Great little nibble.

j5SReNH.jpg

There was a recent burn in the area which goes on for a few miles, maybe more near as I could tell.

uFYCBhk.jpg

9BTgM7c.jpg

Looks like fire damaged leaves. This looked like a fast flash over or something as many of the larger trees survived and even some green leaves. In lots of places the trail alone acted as a fire break.

gdAC8Kk.jpg

Looks like this reindeer moss got hit as well though only the outside was burned away.

mIzi0PI.jpg

Water near camp. Going to use this for the Stag horn Sumac.

kSjzSDU.jpg

EUhX2RK.jpg

7ravZto.jpg

Camp all setup.

5m1ERFz.jpg

Time for the Sawyer Squeeze Staghorn Sumac tea/lemonade.

First squeeze in some cold water

KNsx0ma.jpg

Let steep for 10 or so minutes. Actaully I never timed it. The important bit is to use cold water. Not hot.

GRDx5rp.jpg

Came out great!

nNvoBKX.jpg

Core 4 stove in UL configuration.

KWlLarc.jpg

Up next the space meal. It was kinda like dog food but then again what did I expect for 2.50 from Sierra Trading Post.

8YjSZOa.jpg

ZPuRYNY.jpg

Up the next day! Brunch!

CicCZAd.jpg

Mora LMF knife is ok given the weight and cost.

gbJXrME.jpg

Nitecore Battery Magazine 40 will be reviewed as been packed for the summer. Got one for my hiking kit and another for preps.

ATrWgOu.jpg

Nitecore F1. One of my favorite power solution as it's totally solar reliable and works well for a power bank and charger on the fly. Using it to charge my phone.

UTOZTuq.jpg

Armytek Wizard standard CW. A great value for the money. Relatively simple UI and works well.

gfiJiSh.jpg

Good gear options for both the trail and preps IMHO.

fo2kzT7.jpg

Locally a bear broke into a barn and ate a donkey if the rumor is true so like to pack bear spray these days. It is getting a little sporty out there. LOL.

OviU5xf.jpg

All packed up

hn5GRF3.jpg

I like to leave camp with more than enough water till the next source and beyond whenever possible. I can go without food for a long time but water no so much.

KRI9ZJS.jpg

Sawyer Squeeze is greater than Sawyer Mini.

re1F0kz.jpg

This is rattlesnake country so not sure who the owner of this skin was.

B6JDRQg.jpg

More burn and fire stressed leaf pics.

3PV9XaC.jpg

W5WV47y.jpg

xT5o4lc.jpg

MtYHpnG.jpg

wjEBQsO.jpg

The fire often got stopped by the width of the trail.

Side with fire.

nSfLMhC.jpg

Side without.

y3Q82nv.jpg

Overlook.

UD26vHA.jpg

Fire goes on for some miles.

b4NWxHx.jpg

Big storm brewing. It hit like a ton of bricks. I really wanted to get off the ridges for lower country.

89Xi1Q4.jpg

Put on my poncho and hike back the the truck. It looked very dark for 4 pm.

RekUxAK.jpg

Thanks for watching. Here is a video.

cp2315

Enlightened
Great reading as always WW!

my nitecore F1 does not work for me as expected. It will work as a power bank for a few minutes then will turn itself off.
Both of my samples are like this. I was quite disappointed. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome pictures and writeup! Thanks for sharing.