Looking for the furthest throwing light I can get

mrsteel

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to keep my budget under $1500. Looking for the furthest throwing light I can get, preferably short arc xenon, but any other HID bulb would work, I'd like to buy it brand new if possible and also a production light would be nice because I'd like to have some time before I purchase

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their is a group buy in this forum for the Polarion PH50D. Would be new and around your price point. Just PM the OP, believe we just need a few more folks.

BVH

Flashaholic
As the others have said here, no production light comes close to the Throw of a Gen3 Maxabeam. Just wait a bit longer and save a few more dollars over your original stated budget. You won't be disappointed.

mrsteel

Newly Enlightened
As the others have said here, no production light comes close to the Throw of a Gen3 Maxabeam. Just wait a bit longer and save a few more dollars over your original stated budget. You won't be disappointed.

Ok, just to verify is this the one that that throws 3500m and has 12 million candlepower with a focusable beam 1-40 degrees?

BVH

Flashaholic
All brand new Maxabeams sold by Peakbeam Systems are Gen 3 and produce 12,000,000 CP and focus down to 1 degree. Not sure what the upper focus degree is and not sure what they claim the throw yardage is - could be 3400. Just be aware that the hotspot on a long distance target is very small and sometimes this makes identifying what the target is, difficult. On any long distance targets over 750 Yards, you're probably going to want to view it with binocs or a spotting scope. You probably also want "Latching High" which means you can run the light on High mode until your battery charge is depleted. Last I knew, this required their 10 Amp Hour, LiFeP04 battery option. Otherwise, high is time-limited. IIRC, is is something like 15 seconds, but don't quote me on that.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH, you won't be purchasing the 10 amp battery new any longer as the revised shipping regulations limit lithium batteries to under 100 watt hours.

Last I read, you can't legally ship a BB2590 current production battery via most common carriers.

Matt@PeakBeam

Newly Enlightened
All brand new Maxabeams sold by Peakbeam Systems are Gen 3 and produce 12,000,000 CP and focus down to 1 degree. Not sure what the upper focus degree is and not sure what they claim the throw yardage is - could be 3400. Just be aware that the hotspot on a long distance target is very small and sometimes this makes identifying what the target is, difficult. On any long distance targets over 750 Yards, you're probably going to want to view it with binocs or a spotting scope. You probably also want "Latching High" which means you can run the light on High mode until your battery charge is depleted. Last I knew, this required their 10 Amp Hour, LiFeP04 battery option. Otherwise, high is time-limited. IIRC, is is something like 15 seconds, but don't quote me on that.

Thank you BVH for recommending our searchlights. We have implemented a few modification to the programming on all production Gen 3 Maxa Beam searchlights. The user now has the ability to program the right function on the 4-way switch to either momentary high (default), 16 second high, or latching high. It was decided to add this functionality once we began exclusively offering only LiFePO4 batteries.

NoNotAgain is correct that we discontinued the 10AH LiFePO4 (MBP-1310) battery primarily due to shipping regulations and shipping costs, but the 7.5AH LiFePO4 (MBP-1308) runs the Maxa Beam on latched high like a champ.

We most commonly report range in terms of at what distance the Maxa Beam will put 1 lux on target which is 3500m (~2 miles). Please note when doing any comparisons that this is 4x the lux described in the ANSI FL-1 standard for determining the range of a flashlight/searchlight. If we were to use the ANSI FL-1 definition of range, the Maxa Beam would have a range of 7000m. Whenever looking at a range specification, it is important to understand how it was calculated. As BVH mentioned, even 1 lux at that long a distance is only really "useful" with high powered optics. 0.25 lux is really only "useful" to very high end cameras.

hahoo

Enlightened
Thank you BVH for recommending our searchlights. We have implemented a few modification to the programming on all production Gen 3 Maxa Beam searchlights. The user now has the ability to program the right function on the 4-way switch to either momentary high (default), 16 second high, or latching high. It was decided to add this functionality once we began exclusively offering only LiFePO4 batteries.

NoNotAgain is correct that we discontinued the 10AH LiFePO4 (MBP-1310) battery primarily due to shipping regulations and shipping costs, but the 7.5AH LiFePO4 (MBP-1308) runs the Maxa Beam on latched high like a champ.

We most commonly report range in terms of at what distance the Maxa Beam will put 1 lux on target which is 3500m (~2 miles). Please note when doing any comparisons that this is 4x the lux described in the ANSI FL-1 standard for determining the range of a flashlight/searchlight. If we were to use the ANSI FL-1 definition of range, the Maxa Beam would have a range of 7000m. Whenever looking at a range specification, it is important to understand how it was calculated. As BVH mentioned, even 1 lux at that long a distance is only really "useful" with high powered optics. 0.25 lux is really only "useful" to very high end cameras.

1 lux at 2 miles..
thats insane !
in a good way
you could light up a newspaper bright enough for some one to read at 2 miles !
good job guys, maybe one day ill own one

mrsteel

Newly Enlightened

Well thank you for the Info! I definitely.know what light I'll be saving for :twothumbs