Review: Energizer Vision HD 2xAA Flashlight

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
giSJ61.jpg

Bought this from Harvey Norman store. With today's conversion rate, that's USD 16.29, a pretty good deal I would say, considering elsewhere these are going slightly higher. This is 2016 version though, as Energizer has updated the 2017 version from 300 to 400 lumens.

what prompted the spending was this...
A185wm.jpg

everything else was blurred (like in the picture) until I parted my money... yea... you know that moment that things started to come clear one after another?

AI0K7c.jpg

as usual, light is made in China while batteries in Singapore... and if you wanna check out the data sheet, the model number is PMHH21. Actually, Energizer's model number is anything but helpful especially when they updated the model... there is no revision number nor letter to indicate it's a different version or different make. Good luck figuring out the original specifications after a few years. and see below for the model number printed at the tailcap...
N5xaBM.jpg

ok now, the main reason for this review...
ZvYBBK.jpg

do you see that beautiful Energizer's Daylight tint?! Yup! That's a beautiful neutral white tint! In fact, this isn't the first Energizer light that feature such a nice neutral white tint, approximately 2 months ago I bought an Energizer Hardcase PivotPlus 2xAA flashlight that features similar tint and I absolutely love it!
UVloR9.jpg

The only downside to this Vision HD 2xAA is the low mode that features really low frequency PWM. Even the slow strobe that's hidden (you need to press and hold for 2 seconds when flashlight is ON to activate the strobe) I consider as OK-design!

The UI is very simple mode cycling using the electronic switch: OFF > Click once to High Mode (300 lumens) > Click once to Low mode (85 lumens) > Click once to OFF. Again, strobe is hidden and can be activated by turning on the flashlight and press and hold the switch for 2 seconds. To turn off the strobe, click once and the light will be switch off.

Let's take a look at a few more pictures of the light...
cxiOeQ.jpg

the e-switch is quite small

Elw20M.jpg

the body knurling pattern looks smooth at first, but it does provide good grip in use. tailcap is smooth but I have no issue unscrewing the tailcap at all (in contrast to those comments from Amazon).

NDL78q.jpg

The positive contact point at the head... it's spring loaded although it doesn't appear at first. I had a surprised when first inserted the battery.

obxcDP.jpg

No spring contact at the tailcap, just a slightly raise washer type button to make the battery negative contact.

0eMkit.jpg

The tailcap threads and the O-ring comes pre-lube, no excessive amount of grease like other manufacturers, but just a nice lube around the thread and the O-ring.

ZRjzSb.jpg

The second AA battery is exposed and only cover upon screwing the tailcap back to the body.

7wi8wp.jpg

This flashlight's wall is thick! and if you are into modding, you could shorten and enlarge the tube to fit single 18650 size and I don't think it will compromise the body integrity.
A bit of rattling when shaking the flashlight, but easily fix with a piece of rolled paper around the batteries.

and finally, the business end of the flashlight...
Mnq3IV.jpg

first time seeing this type of optics, 2 TIR + 1 diffused optics, weird but somehow it works! The beam profile is actually a good balance of throw and flood.

bykfixer coined a phrase: "even a bad flashlight aint bad these days", although I don't think this is a bad flashlight, but a consumer grade flashlight it is (probably budget range too), and bykfixer's phrase is equally relevant here especially given big name consumer product producer catches on with phrase like "DELIVERS A WIDE, POWERFUL BEAM TO IMPROVE HIGH-DEFINITION VISION"!
6ERMXj.jpg

I guess Energizer may be on to something here... and we probably need to re-term High CRI flashlight to Full High Definition (Full-HD) like in Flat-screen TV to gain market traction... :grin2:

TCY

Enlightened
Thanks for doing the review, I really like it. I remember seeing Energizer's metal 2XAA flashlights around stores and wanted to give the "daylight colour" a go but I end up walking away as I knew I would be getting a new dust collector (eventually). That said, light like this would be great gift choice if I think the giftee is not ready for 18650 lights.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice one, thanks for sharing.

Next up, Energizer "High Noon" and "3 O'clock" daylight editions. :laughing:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder just how bad the 'regulation' will be.
Maybe they could have done 150 lumens flat regulated (with three LEDs)

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Thanks for all the kind words guys...

...That said, light like this would be great gift choice if I think the giftee is not ready for 18650 lights.
exactly! :thumbsup:

...Next up, Energizer "High Noon" and "3 O'clock" daylight editions. :laughing:
hahaha... can't wait! :crackup:

I wonder just how bad the 'regulation' will be.
no idea until I perform a runtime test, but if their previous releases are any indications, these will be "battery-regulated"... :whistle:

Keitho

Enlightened
but if their previous releases are any indications, these will be "battery-regulated"

Has anybody ever come up with a little boost circuit, similar form factor to protection circuits, that you could put in between the cells in one of these linearly regulated lights to make it into a constant current light? Kinda like a no-mod driver mod...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good one RD.

88urme5.jpg

It may have been these...
That caused me to coin that phrase, or perhaps repeat it.
Polished alluminum numbers with a simple on/off, come with a nice wrist strap and have a nice neutral throwy beam.

I'll be on the look out for the "HD" versions

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
@Keitho, that's a very interesting idea... :thumbsup:

@bykfixer, thanks buddy. that phrase makes me take a closer look... :D

Just did a runtime test using Panasonic Alkaline, the PWM started to kicks in after ~15 minutes and brightness continue to drop, after 3.5 hours, the brightness is estimated to be 20-25 lumens, which is <10% of the output, at 6 hours, brightness is about 2 lumens, still usable in pitch black darkness but decided to stop the test at this point.

Tribull

Enlightened
Saw them in the store today. They seen nice enough for the price, but the on/off button doesn't look like it would last very long.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
bought a new 6AA 1300 lumens version...

HWRUQt.jpg

kfTvXB.jpg

comparison to 2AA...
kS9dLt.jpg

this is a newer version (not talking about brightness nor number of batteries) as Energizer has put something called "digital focus" in the control circuit. It alternate between the lone flood optics and 2 TIR optics by holding down the switch when the light is on, as a result, you can somewhat have "variable brightness" while the light is alternating between the optics. An interesting idea indeed. Kudos to Energizer for creativity! :thumbsup:

TCY

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing, I'll probably grab one of this as a good "family light" if they are available where I live.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great find ! Curiosity got the best of me and I picked up the 6 cell model. It was in a set with a 3XAAA headlamp for $30,a good deal for the money based on the initial quality and it is nice to see that Energizer put some thought into this light. The knurling gives it a "stylish" look but I don't think it provides as sure a grip as I would like. The tail cap could definitely use some knurling instead of being smooth. I was able to screw it on but it is too slick IMO. My example still seems to be on the cool side with the hot spot but it is not horrible or anything. There was no Daylight Color symbol on the packaging for my light but it did mention the "high def" design.

Nice to see this kind of light in B&M stores aimed at the average consumer. :)

EDIT: After a backyard trip with the Vision HD it seems much more neutral and I have to say I was impressed. The cool "effect" to the hot spot is only noticeable in white wall hunting and not in actual use. I probably see it more since I am so used to seeing 4000k lights with consistent tint and they have a little warmer color.

Last edited:

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I got the 1300 lumen model a couple weeks ago. Way too bright for indoors use. Perfect if you live out in the boonies and need lots of light covering a large area like around a farm and the barns and buildings. You'll see everything. The digital focus is nice. Huge flood option with a neutral tint is easy on the eyes for the brightness and I can ramp it up to a more of a spot.

Today I was at Meijer and picked up the 2aa model in 400 lumens and it has the same digital focus and is at the limit for indoor use. They had a buy one get 50% off the next so I got the 3aaa model for $7.00 and change. I have a closet with no light in it and it's annoying. The 3aaa model will live in the closet. It's nice but not as nice as the 2aa and 6aa.

Most energizer lights are good. I'll admot as a light user and not a collector I more lights in that brand than any other and they always work and are rugged take lots of abuse and run a long time for me.

The aa models will be by my chair. The 1300 for outside needs and the 400 for indoors. With high and low options with long run times on high, they're perfect. No need for 18 different modes with 14 user programmable UI options. They aren't toys. They're made to light stuff up and they do it great for the price.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sam's club has the 6AA packaged with a Vision headlamp for $25 (in store) till the end of the month. Not sure if this is nationwide (US) but a pretty good deal if it is available in your area. Still don't know about the long term reliability/ruggedness but I have been impressed with the output and tint for the price.I haven't run into any problems so far although my lights are not seeing what I would consider "hard" use.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw the 6AA/Headlamp combo was $19 and change (essentially $20) at my local Sam's club. No idea if this price is available everywhere but it is a great deal.The 1300 lumen rating seems accurate from my observations and the headlamp is not too bad in its own right. If your looking for a bright light for that non flashoholic friend or just a low cost option for yourself it is worth checking out even at the original $25-$30 price. Had to convince myself not to buy anymore at the $20 price!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
6AA alkaleak light? No thanks rather buy an 18650 light with charger for about the same price.