Small EDC

Robe

Enlightened
I am looking for a light that's unobtrusive to carry in semi-casual office attire, mostly slacks. I love my HDS, but it's very bulky and the lack of a clip often conflicts with pocket space with a slipjoint knife if I want both. I would prefer a clip and a slim light that's easy to carry. My uses are minimal for this. General EDC tasks, walking to the car in the dark in the early morning hours, etc.
I've been reading around for a while trying to settle on something. I am unsure as for battery format. The Prometheus BETA QR with clip I had was a great light and size. Technically that fit my needs, but I am wondering about other options I haven't had. Lights I've been looking at are the D25AAA, or D25A. I've considered hunting for a black Aeon Mk3, but I am thinking even a good user might be out of what I am looking to spend.
Eyed the Surefire Titan Plus and like it except for the emitter.
I've become so used to great tints, I would really like to stay with a Nichia emitter, preferably around 4K. Would love your feedback.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light? Doesn't matter.
2) Budget: Unknown
3) Format: Flashlight
4) Size: Micro/tiny
5) Emitter/Light source: LED / Nichia / High CRI
6) Manufacturer: Unknown
7) What power source do you want to use? Prefer rechargeable cells
7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option: Don't care
8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Needs a moonlight or very low mode and bright enough for general edc.
9) Flood vs Throw: medium to narrow throw, but not committed to this.
9a) Distance: 25 yards or less.
10) Runtime: Irrelevant
11) Durability/Usage: I don't abuse things, so as long as it's not junk.
12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply): Don't care
13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply. Multiuple levels. Special modes are unimportant.
14)Material/Finish/Coating: I like aluminum for weight, but a smaller ti light is fine
15) Water resistance: splash proof required. Waterproof a bonus (not for diving).
16) Storage conditions: In house or on person. Maybe left in car at times.
17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I scored a Mass Drop Brass AAA Nichia 219C light during the latest drop. $29 delivered!

As life would have it, this example is the least expensive light I own yet one of my favorites.

It is small
nice looking
has a removable clip and lanyard hole
tail switch with L-M-H
impressive throw with generous flood too
runs Eneloops as does my Bose QC-25s

It is simply a great little light.

terjee

Enlightened
Lumintop Tool might be something to look at. It's available with a Nichia emitter, and in a selection of finishes. I replaced the D25AAA i was EDCing with it, and have been happy.

Robe

Enlightened
Lumintop Tool might be something to look at. It's available with a Nichia emitter, and in a selection of finishes. I replaced the D25AAA i was EDCing with it, and have been happy.

Looks like it sticks up pretty far out of a pocket. Is that a nuisance?

terjee

Enlightened
Looks like it sticks up pretty far out of a pocket. Is that a nuisance?

Not to me, but I keychain-carry mind, so I just drop the whole keychain into my pocket.

Note that there are at least three different end caps, which does impact how far it'd stick out (clicky, magnet and electronic switch).

Not recommending it above all else, just one to consider.

ven

Flashaholic

+1
The cu and 2x ti along with the plain black(none v54) are all 219b 4000k=very nice!

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
Based on Ven's picture above, I think the mass drop light is a Lumintop like the 1st and 4th examples.

It tail stands which is an important feature to me.

Keitho

Enlightened
Since you're used to HDS quality, and you want good sub-lumen modes, I'll throw out that I love my 4000K 1xAA Zebralights, both 93-95 CRI. Neither one has a great deep carry pocket clip, and they are slightly bigger and a bit more pricey than the great options above. I think there are after-market deep carry clips, but I haven't researched them.

SC53c and H53Fc with my other EDC...
http://i.imgur.com/Fof8NED.jpg

Robe

Enlightened
I've had two SC5C lights that I have as gifts. I really liked them when I had them open to add batteries. They're a bit beefy and bulky for my weekday attire. I do have my eye eventually on one of their 18650 offerings for a more power option.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
The sc5c style of lights are big. The sc52w, sc53w and c are the smaller size. They are not as beefy.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two other lights to consider. One, the Lumintop IYP365. Two AAA, comes in Nichia, Nice clip all the way to the top so will deep carry if necessary. M-L-H modes, with low being one lumen and high being 80. Lovely slim design in matte black. Two, the Nitecore MT06MD. Another two AAA light, Nichia, three modes. Low mode is 4 lumens, high is 180, so a little wider range than the IYP365. Since you are probably not medical, order the version without the pupil scale on the side. Again, clip all the way at the end for deep carry, slim design in matte black. Neither one will tail stand without assistance, but both make great casual lights. I wish they had been around when I was doing under the computer room floor and behind the PC stuff. You should be able to pick up either one for under $30 USD, and they both work well with NiMH cells. I would feel very comfortable using either one of these wearing a suit, if that helps. If you want a little bit larger light with more run time, the TerraLUX Lightstar 80 is a nice higher CRI (I guesstimate around 85 CRI) penlight. Available in several colors, two AA cells, nice sleek design. The clip is a little lower, but the big drawback is that it is a single mode 80 lumen light. I have all three, and like them all. They are all good general purpose penlights, and the low and medium modes on the first two are very nice. The only drawback is that the TerraLUX is a little two bright for close-up work, like working inside a PC case. I did try out the TerraLUX with a single 14500 Li-Ion cell and a dummy cell, but I didn't want to run the risk of ruining the light so I didn't run for very long. I do think doing so would be pushing the upper limits of what would work without causing problems with the electronics and the LED.