Nitecore Concept 1 - Major Design Flaw (electronic switch fail)

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
The Concept 1 is a high quality light that is almost the size of the 18650 it is powered from yet it delivers true 1800 lumens. However, the switch design ist bound to break even after minor impacts. Mine broke while I was working in my office and it fell on a rug from very little height. Problem is that the force is transmitted directly onto a small electronic switch soldered to the LED board - with no reinforcements.

Check it all out in this video, I disassemble the light at the end and you can spot the design flaw for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5Xw48Z5_k&t=96s

Last edited:

flphotog

Newly Enlightened
I like Nitecore but took one look at the Concept 1 and decided it wasn't for me. Just didn't care for the UI

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice video, and thanks for the info.

Was considering one of these on output, size and price - but had already decided not to because of the switch, which just looked like trouble to me. Nice to have your experience sound out my initial impression.

What is the point of having a modern light which is unable to be used in the field? After this it must be impossible to rely on this torch without a backup light. Very poor design IMHO.

Ah well. I hope you have more luck with your next light.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Many thanks for the heads-up Markus! Extremely helpful, and an excellent video as well.

I bought one of these a while back, but returned it when I learned that the turbo mode didn't work with all my existing 18650 batteries (8A vs. 10A).

Cheers.

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
Thx for the feedback. Right now I test the Jaxman E2 L which is a really incredible light, the best I bought in a long time. Stay tuned for my review to be posted in about two days.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Thanks for the informative video and thread. I would be getting one if it weren't for the switch, I hope they correct it with an updated version.

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
I would also be worried about accidental activation of that switch. Too bad it broke.

The light always comes on accidental. You need to set it on low mode or suffer. Mechanical lock-out is a pain cause the light always shows the voltage first (blink sequence) when you fasten the tail cap again so it takes a long time before the flashlight is ready for use.

Anyways, I found a really good light now: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...man-E2-L-One-good-light-(3-*-CREE-XPG2-S4-LED)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The light always comes on accidental. You need to set it on low mode or suffer. Mechanical lock-out is a pain cause the light always shows the voltage first (blink sequence) when you fasten the tail cap again so it takes a long time before the flashlight is ready for use.

Anyways, I found a really good light now: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...man-E2-L-One-good-light-(3-*-CREE-XPG2-S4-LED)

It seems so obvious of an issue made more perplexing by the fact Nitecore is an experienced manufacture who I generally like. I don't understand why. My ZL SC5w and Armytek C1 flashlights all have recessed switches to help mitigate accidental activation and damage. In the case of Armytek super intuitive to find. I am not getting the intent of reinventing the round wheel into a square. There is plenty of room for innovation but this one is a mystery to me. I would love if Nitecore or another manufacture made a really really durable flashlight which has true potting like Malkoff but constant current multi modes with a reasonable simple and intuitive UI at off shore manufacturing prices. Make it small and bomb proof in every way they can think of within reason.

Last edited: