Challenge to find me the perfect light on a budget! Winner gets a 10th Mountain Patch

ClimbToGlory

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone I'm new here and I have a challenge! I need the perfect light and I need it for less than say $40ish bucks! This is a true challenge and something since you lot know a lot more about despite my hours of study I thought I would ask! The winner decided by whatever light I end up buying, get a 10th Mountain Patch, 10th Mountain Ranger Patch and if it's really good I'll throw in a challenge coin! haha! (I'm going through my stuff right now so I thought I might as well do something useful with this stuff!) Little background, I'm a disabled vet but I'm not pulling 100 Percent yet, I was working but I was recently diagnosed with emphysema, probably from years of sucking up rifle, explosion, burning tank (with burning human inside....I've got a funny story about cooking people burning on a tank barrel if you have the stomach for it haha), IED, soldering and other fumes. I'm sure my smoking habit didn't help but my 3-5 smokes a day for 4 years is probably the least of it. Cash is super precious right now and on the 3rd I get payed and I need a new light! It has to have some requirements:

-I live in the deep country with orange orchards around me and its darker than my ex-wives heart out here at night! Those trees eat any light like you wouldn't believe and it is DARK! add that on to I have a verified stalker problem right now and have had police, family, friends and my cripple *** chase him through that dark *** orchard 50 times now and I need a BRIGHT flashlight with a long throw
-is handheld so ofc no giant spot lights but also I can stick it in my pocket and have a bunch stick out doesnt bother me much.
-durable meaning if I hit someone with it it won't be done for good or I drop it off the 10 foot roof onto dirt or ladder or whatever its not done for good and trust me...it WILL be abused. Ill drop it on dirt, wood, from the roof and the ladder and just from my hand. I have a rebuilt hand from a bullet and the other shakes like crazy and is arthritic now (Its hard as poop to solder some days)
-since I've had to block off all my windows to keep this creep looking in them all peeping tom like its dark as hell in my house so it also has to be able to be used in there without blinding me too badly! I'd also like to be able to use it for things like soldering, so I don't know if the color will effect it too badly.
-One BIG plus would be a rechargeable built in that I can pop on when I'm sleeping because I seem to eat through batteries like crazy and I can't afford to be buying cr123a's constantly or even AA's like I was for my modded AA flashlight. In the next few months-weeks I'm gonna buy some eneloops and a charger but I need a light now!
-Also if its easily modded to make brighter thats also a plus!
-I don't really care about bulbs but I prefer LED, they last longer and are brighter. Incandescent is dead and I can't afford HID.
-an add on to battery, I think I'd prefer an 18650 platform, they seem to be brighter and they're rechargeable, but I don't know if one is in my budget.
-My main things are brightness, throw, durability and recharging. I prefer a larger sized flashlight because i can see it better, use it as a weapon, etc. My flashlights are usually all over 6 inches long and the temp one I'm using is a duracell 4 C size batt so length is cool. Width is alright as long as it fits in my gimpy handsn

I'm even willing to buy a used light as long as it's got a guarantee from the seller it won't break on me for no reason in a month and they seem like a good person who's known here on the forums.
I know I'm asking a lot here so hopefully the added bonus of a few nice patches and pins from my youth will help make up for it. I also know I may be a bit long winded or confusing....They've got me pretty well sloshed on pain meds right now haha! I think after today I'm not taking them anymore cuz they make me all sloshed and long winded! 'If anyone has a winner that REALLY stands out among the crowd I'll throw in a surprise prize! Also I just found a few pins for 2nd through 4th place! So Lets hope this isn't against the rules and see if we can do this! Thanks for having me on your forums and I hope to be a regular, less sloshed, member!

God Bless,
Sarge

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a lot to process there in your post, both mentally and visually. Thank you for your service.

My first thoughts are a Mag-lite Mag-charger:

-643 Lumens, but also lower power modes to use indoors
-Over 400m beam throw
-Just over 12in long (larger to fit hands around and 'defense')
-Rechargeable cradle
-water resistant

Maglite has a pretty good warranty and history for being reliable, also made in USA.: http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights...ger-led-rechargeable-system.html#.Wahh6PiGOHs

The concern on durability is that there is not many flashlights that are built to endure over 2 meter drop and retain warranty (that I am aware of) yet still meet your criteria. For that I would suggest that you attach a lanyard or something to save it from a bigger fall.

Last edited:

maglite mike

Enlightened
maglite magcharger on amazon is much cheaper then the maglite website. Ive seen them for as little as $80

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Hi there. Reading you post I think this is about the best light you can get for the money. I have it and it is fantastic outdoors. It is configurable and has excellent throw for its size. This light is well built and you can swap out the led if you choose. Banggood also sells the parts for it. Right now it's $33 but I think there is a coupon code. CPF10 or something like that. This light will run pretty much any 18650 but it will not charge them in the lite.

https://m.banggood.com/Astrolux-S2-...-Flashlight-18650-p-1037831.html?rmmds=search

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convoy C8 XP-L HI with guppydrv firmware for $25, Xtar MC1+ ANT USB 5v charger for $8 and a couple of Panasonic NCR-B 18650s for $10ish?

Mountain Electronics out of Utah.

Chris

Keitho

Enlightened
I think that convoy c8 option from chrisG is your winner. There are great mod options for it everywhere. If you can put together a little extra cash, the acebeam l16 checks all your boxes except price. I keep trying to find a reason to get one myself...maybe I need a stalker! Though, for about the same amount of cash, you could also get a sweet Vinh modded convoy...

Thanks for your service ClimbToGlory

arKmm

Enlightened
Maglite ML300L 3D LED.
Easily within budget, reliable, focusable for far throwing or close up work. Can be set with various modes but I'd recommend the tactical setting which is High-Low-Strobe so you've got easily accessible full power with a single press of the button, two taps for low, or triple tap for tactical strobe. You can either use disposable D cells or use eneloops if you want a rechargeable option.

No frills but dependable and gets the job done. If the 3D is too big there is a 3C version which is almost identical performance wise but more manageable size wise.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Op, I'm sure you're waiting for more options, but as much as I've thought about it, I don't have any better suggestion.
I'd go with the more pocketable C8 ($20), a Liitokala charger ($5) and a 3400mAh+ Sanyo or Panasonic battery ($10) or two.

I have lots of lights, but the C8 I have is my mid range multi-use beater...

If willing to wait, getting from China (Gearbest or Banggood ) will save some bones.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
First: Chris nailed it. Get the C8 rig from MTN and be done.
Second: It is a family friendly forum, pls edit your post for language. (Note: I did enjoy the read)
Third: Once you get enough posts you will be able to PM. If you would like, once you can PM (if you have or can use PayPal) shoot me your PayPal address and I will send you some money to assist you in getting that C8 rig. Sorry, but the ONLY way I will send money is via PayPal. Thank you very much for your service.