Wardrobe LED Lighting Design Help

wrexter

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I am designing a 12V LED lighting setup for my built-in wardrobe. I am using only LED strip lighting (Link for Electrical Diagram).

This is how the LED Strips will be used:

Area 1 - Above shoes in shoe rack - Example
Area 2,3,4 - In Front of clothes hanger- Example

Components
- 200W LED Driver - Link Here
- LED Dimmer - Link Here
- LED Strip Light - Link Here

Would appreciate advice on if i have selected the correct power supply & dimmer for the job and if i am missing anything.

Couple of questions

1. Is using 3528 LED ok for this purpose, i am avoiding 5050 LED because of the higher power consumption but i am worried about brightness. There are halongens in the room and woried they will drown out the lower illumination from the 3528 compared to the 5050. Having used 5050 (60 LED/m) for another project i know it will definately be bright enough but avoiding it due to the higher power consumption.

2. If using the 3528, does it make sense to use 60 LED/m for area 1 (Smaller area to fill) and 120 LED/m for area's 2,3,4 as they need to light up more area. by using 60 LED/m for area one i think i am able to stick to 200W power supply.

3. What colour should i select for the LED in this application (wardrobe). I normally stick with warm white for the home but maybe i should pick white in this case?

4. What size wire would be suitable if longest run from LED Driver to LED Strip is 9m?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Agpp

Enlightened
1. Invest in alu profiles, they will make your system more durable. They will likely be cheaper locally than on Aliexpress
2. The led strip that you've shown lacks specs. No output, not even wattage. It is not a good sign.
3. With long strips, power the LEDs from both sides to avoid voltage drop across the strip.
Can't help with your other questions.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
How many hundreds of pairs of shoes do you own?

Basic math 200 watts, let's assume 75 lumens/watt = 15000 lumens. That is enough to light 30 square meters to 500 lux .... which is quite bright. That's 322 square feet for a conversion.

I would go 4000K/90CRI, but that is just me. That will allow you to easily pick out the black and navy blue socks.

Don't get too hung up on the LED. There are good and bad versions of both and some 3528 may be 2835 (and some vendors use interchangeably). 5050 is old tech really. 2835, 3014 are most common today in LED world. As stated above, find one with specs and with some reviews.

Last edited: