Current best/brightest drop-in module for single 18650?

Frottage

Newly Enlightened
Hi All, long-time lurker, first time poster. I'm looking to put together a few torches using Solarforce L2 bodies and single 18650 batteries. My use is for general purpose lighting - dog walking, critter spotting, and disaster preparedness (i live in Florida and hurricanes and power outages are common). For beam pattern, my need is a general purpose, combination beam - enough throw to see a reasonable distance ahead, and enough flood to light up a yard. I'd like to put together 4 or 5 of these, so cost is a factor. I"m looking for the highest light output that still has reasonable efficiency and doesn't get too hot. I haven't looked in a few years, what are the current best options in emitters and modules?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at an Oveready Triple Drop In. The Version 5 is fully programable via your PC. It can do absurdly high outputs but doesn't have to. The Version 4 jist has a HML or LMH.
They come with various emitters, but the obly drawback is that you'll have to get one on the Marketplace as they're not making them at the moment.
P

david57strat

Enlightened
Have a look at an Oveready Triple Drop In. The Version 5 is fully programable via your PC. It can do absurdly high outputs but doesn't have to. The Version 4 jist has a HML or LMH.
They come with various emitters, but the obly drawback is that you'll have to get one on the Marketplace as they're not making them at the moment.
P

The original poster has made it clear that he's on a tight budget, and wants to build four or five lights, himself; so the Oveready stuff (even used) is probably going to be out of the question, although fantastic in quality, innovation, and just glorious raw power.

Have you considered the Emisar D4?

I've considered one of these, myself; but the biggest drawback is the extremely short run time offered at the highest output (which is ridiculously high...a good thing, for the seasoned flashaholic :)

The infinite ramping feature is very appealing though, so you can dial in the exact amount of light needed.

Hat's off to Toykeeper for designing such an ingenious interface for us fanatics!

There are also safety issues to consider, with the such a high performance light, as the D4 -especially for a novice flashlight enthusiast. I probably wouldn't recommend one to a novice user, since the D4s heat up extremely quickly (at the higher outputs) and could literally cause a fire, or cause severe burns to your hand, in a very short time, if not used extremely carefully.

And..the original poster clearly did not want a light that would get very hot, and that the light would be used for sometimes extended periods, like in power outages - so it's a valid concern for him.

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
Hi All, long-time lurker, first time poster. I'm looking to put together a few torches using Solarforce L2 bodies and single 18650 batteries. My use is for general purpose lighting - dog walking, critter spotting, and disaster preparedness (i live in Florida and hurricanes and power outages are common). For beam pattern, my need is a general purpose, combination beam - enough throw to see a reasonable distance ahead, and enough flood to light up a yard. I'd like to put together 4 or 5 of these, so cost is a factor. I"m looking for the highest light output that still has reasonable efficiency and doesn't get too hot. I haven't looked in a few years, what are the current best options in emitters and modules?

I, too, am a huge fan of Solarforce L2 Series hosts; but not of their drop-ins. I'm using mostly Customlites, Mountain Electronics, International Outdoors, Malkoff, EDC+, and Sportac dropins in all of my hosts.

zfr21E2.jpg

What kind of color temperature are you thinking of getting? Cool white is the most dazzling (and seemingly the most commonly found in many stores), but also the least color accurate (for spotting things at a distance, in fine detail, or where accurate colors are important, like when wiring something electrical, assessing a patient, etc.)

You can buy a drop for about five bucks or so, but if you want much better build quality, you'll probably find yourself spending about 20. Two excellent sources for these drop-ins, are Mountain Electronics, and International Outdoors - and they come in a wide variety of user interfaces and tints.

Customlites are superb drop-ins, as well, but they run closer to 40 bucks.

Malkoffs are pretty much bullet proof, with dead simple interfaces, and solid brass construction (which offers superb heat sinking) - and they have fully-potted electronics, making them almost impervious to all sorts of abuse (they'd be perfectly suited for weapon mounting, for instance, without being damaged by the heavy recoil) - but run 40 to 50 or more, each.

I'm assuming you want a drop-in with multiple modes, so you can select whatever output fulfills your needs, at the time, and a fair combination of spot and spill beams, so you can do work up-close, as well as spotting things at a distance, without having to switch lights (from what I read above) - and all of the lights are going to be configured the same way, with the same type of drop-in?

What's your budget? Do you already have the 18650 batteries to power them all? If so, what type (make/model)?

Generally, the most powerful also means the most heat-producing, and with the shortest run times. There's a definite trade-off involved. How much power are you talking about, and/or for how long? Might you be lending some of these lights out to others, who may have little or no experience with high performance lights? That would account for the need for a light that doesn't heat up much.

I'm also assuming you want something that will offer up long run times, if you find yourself without power, or a way to recharge your 18650 batteries.

The more you can tell us about your uses for these lights, the better suggestions we can make, for something that will suit your needs.

Welcome to the forums :)

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original poster has made it clear that he's on a tight budget, and wants to build four or five lights, himself; so the Oveready stuff (even used) is probably going to be out of the question, although fantastic in quality, innovation, and just glorious raw power.
Thanks a bunch David, I'm out.
P
P

david57strat

Enlightened
Bright
Efficient
Cheap
Reliable
Runs cool

Pick 2....

Well-said, bykfixer. Very much like a car; if you want something that can do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, that costs less than $10,000, gets 40 mpg on the street, and is roomy enough for a family of six, it's not really out there. Wish it was.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I will throw another couple of options to check out, sportac(be it reflector or triple/optics). These are excellent drop ins for $30 or so, especially the 219b and 219c flavours. Also Pflexpro, another option which you can tweak to your preferences.

david57strat

Enlightened
I will throw another couple of options to check out, sportac(be it reflector or triple/optics). These are excellent drop ins for $30 or so, especially the 219b and 219c flavours. Also Pflexpro, another option which you can tweak to your preferences.

Plus 1 for the Sportac Nichia drop-ins. I have yet to experience the C version, but the B is absolutely beautiful.

Mine is installed in an Oveready-18650-bored Surefire 6P body, with a Solarforce A001 head, a B6 stainless bezel, and S12 stainless forward switch. Love it! Not rated for super long run times on high of 676 out the front lumens, but superb build quality (all brass). The two mode is 100%, or 25%, with a voltage operation range of 2.7 to 6 volts (fine for two CR123 primaries).

The one mode is only 100%, but can be run on up from 2.7 to 9 volts (good for dual 18650 operation - longer run time).

XAiKlUL.jpg

puNDSrS.jpg

Front view of the some of the Sportacs. The Sportac is an extremely well-built value, for the money, in spite of the not so stellar run times.

Qo8mTwV.jpg

Here is a shot of one of those Malkoffs I was talking about earlier.

Last edited:

Frottage

Newly Enlightened
Great responses, thanks guys. To answer your questions:

1. I'm interested in single mode operation only;
2. My 18650's are a mix of older 2700-2900 mAh AW's, and some recent 3500 mAh Sanyo NCR18650GA's;
3. I'm really looking for balance - whatever the highest output I can get with reasonable run times and acceptable/tolerable/safe heat generation (I definitely recognize there's no free lunch);
4. In terms of temperature I'm looking for pretty neutral, but if it got me a big jump in performance I could go a little cool;
5. $20-$25 is as much as I'm looking to spend for each module. I have expensive handhelds for other purposes, for these I'm looking for semi-disposable knock-around torches.

I'll definitely check out those Sportacs, thanks David.

It's been 5 years or so since I bought LED modules, and I'm wondering what's new in emitters? XM-L's were all the rage last I looked, is there something newer/updated I should be looking for?

david57strat

Enlightened
One more question: Do you want, or need the light to have a momentary feature, or is it okay if it's a reverse clicky (only comes on, after you press and release the button)?

The one mode only requirement might be a little tricky (although there are plenty of drop-ins that have only one mode, and some can actually be programmed to be only one mode, and it's usually at the highest output). Having only one output can be very limiting, in the overall usefulness of a light. I generally prefer to at least have low, medium, and high, and often use the medium mode as a nice compromise between full-out power, and battery efficiency. It also runs considerably cooler; but if you need the all-out power, it's available.

It's all about which compromises you're willing to make.

To answer your question, as far as Cree emitters are concerned, the XP-L emitter seems to be the hot ticket. It's a slightly smaller than the XM-L series emitters, and it has a more concentrated hot spot, and much longer range, than the XM-L emitters. It's more battery efficient, as well.

You may actually be better served, buying a light that already has the capabilities you are looking for. I would recommend a Convoy C8 (with the XP-L emitter, and Biscotti firmware, which is programmable to one-mode-, or many other possible configurations).

This model comes in a wide range of tints (super retina-burning U2 1A to "I can't believe this isn't an incandescent" U3 7A. Concentrated spot, but useful spill. Exceptional build quality, for the money.

Very nice lights, for the money, and can be found in the twenty dollar range. They'd run beautifully on your GA batteries.

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened

It reminds me of a trip to a restaurant, when my sister and I were just kids.

Server: "Soup, or salad"?
My Sister: "Yesssss!" (with a huge smile)

She thought he was offering her a Super Salad.

If only...

Frottage

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all very much for the direction. I went with the suggested Convoy C8 instead of p60 drop-ins. Great recommendation! The light is great, and the XP-L emitter is awesome. It is a little throwy, but great light all around, and way brighter than my old p60 XM-L's. I almost feel guilty paying so little for it! I liked it so much I ordered another C8 and an S2+ (also with XP-L emitter).

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

PFlexPRO

Get an XPL HI, choose a mode you like and have a genuine blast...
$60 for 3.8A version & they are made meticulously well

• Input voltage: 2.9V-4.5V
    Current: 3.8A or 3.04A
    Constant current
    Memory function: off-time (½ second set)
    PWM: 4500+Hz
    Reverse Polarity Protection
    Low voltage protection: At 2.9-3v, the light will drop to low mode and slowly flash

• Selectable Mode Groups:
    1. 2%-25%-100% -| Memory
    2. 100%-25%-2% -| No Memory
    3. 2%-25%-100%-Strobe-Beacon -| Memory
    4. 2%-25%-100%-Strobe-Beacon -| No Memory
    5. 15%-100% -| Memory
    6. 100%-15% -| No Memory
    7. 100% Only
    8. 100%-Strobe -| No Memory
    9. Strobe-100% -| No Memory
    10. ML-5%-33%-100% -| Memory
    11. 100%-33%-5%-ML -| No Memory
    12. ML-5%-33%-100%-Strobe-Beacon -| Memory
    13. ML-5%-33%-100%-Strobe-Beacon -| No Memory
    14. ML-100% -| No Memory
    15. 100%-ML -| No Memory
    16. ML-100% -| Memory
    17. ML-5%-15%-50%-100% -| Memory
    18. ML-5%-15%-50%-100% -| No Memory
    19. 100%-50%-15%-5%-ML -| Memory
    20. 100%-50%-15%-5%-ML -| No Memory
    21. 2%-15%-50%-100% -| Memory
    22. 2%-15%-50%-100% -| No Memory

hotlinked image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

david57strat

Enlightened
Thank you all very much for the direction. I went with the suggested Convoy C8 instead of p60 drop-ins. Great recommendation! The light is great, and the XP-L emitter is awesome. It is a little throwy, but great light all around, and way brighter than my old p60 XM-L's. I almost feel guilty paying so little for it! I liked it so much I ordered another C8 and an S2+ (also with XP-L emitter).

I'm glad to hear that your new C8 is working out for you. One of mine is a 1A, which is way too cool for my tastes, and the other two (the clear ones) are both XP-L U5 7A3, which is extremely warm. Love those!

Which color temperature did you opt to buy?

Frottage

Newly Enlightened
The one I have now is from MTN Electronics, it's the V2 1A with guppydrv firmware. The ones I ordered from Ali Express (s2+ and C8) are U6 3A, and the C8 has the Biscotti firmware. I prefer neutral, but am having a blast with the 1A. Wish it had a little more flood (better balance of throw/flood), but still amazing for a sub $20 complete light! Thanks again for the recommendation!