edc/emergency flashlight and newbie questions

vashshadow

Newly Enlightened
im looking for a flashlight that i could use for edc and could work for emergencies. i dont need something thats going the throw very far and i dont need super bright im thinking 300 lumens max. id prefer long runtime over high lumens mainly because where i live budget wise im thinking 40-50 range. now i have some questions about batteries as im just starting would using aa and 14500 that can be recharged better to go or using the cr123 that ive read about on here a better way to go?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Might be helpful
if you tell us Where you live.

What country, at least . . . .

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the rabbit hole.

You've got a pretty open-ended requirement list. CR123 batteries are good for storage and power in a compact size, but can get expensive.

If you want to keep it more budget-friendly, look at Eneloops and a recharger.

Good, all-around flashlights in a 2xAA format:
Fenix E20 (2015) edition
Olight S2A
Thrunite Archer 2A

terjee

Enlightened
Any thoughts on budget?

Mi7 and Zebralight are pretty common recommendations, and most owners seems happy with theirs.

If you'll be using it for a bit, and want the higher capacity, an 18650 Zebralight might also be worth considering.

For battery types, it depends on how often you'd use (and charge) the light. If it's be emergency only, used a few minutes a year, the lithium primaries in AA-form factor would probably be the best choice.

If you'd use it and recharge it all the time, then LiIon 14500 (or even 18650 in a slightly larger light) would probably be good.

Eneloop somewhere in the middle, with less energy but also less self discharge, compared to LiIon.

vashshadow

Newly Enlightened
im thinking aa and 14500 is the best route to go i have looked at the archer 1a is the 2a worth it? does it run longer or just brighter? i didnt know the mini maglight ran that long i mite look that up now

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm into EDC, runtime, emergency preparedness, and as a camper - maintaining my night vision. I think a lot depends on how serious you are into the emergency use aspect.

I'd go with a 1AA/14500 since you are more likely to have the light with you if it's pocketable, all the battery chemistries are represented and so can tune performance or practicality, and in an emergency, you'll have the buck driver to scavenge any single ubiquitous alkaline (AA,AAA, C, D, and even 9V).

If all you need is a good 'variable throttle' for long runtimes with a fixed gas tank size, then look at the electronic side clickies from Olight, Armytek, and Zebralight. I wouldn't recommend Thrunite due to their typical 100-200x spacing between moonlight and low (too dim and too bright/battery wasting for most of my close task work). I personally use 0.3-0.5 and 3-5 lumens 90% of the time and a can run a AA/14500 over 100 hours easily.

If you want extreme emergency battery versatility and are willing to MacGyver batts, then IMHO removeable heads, electrified threads, old school mechanical clicky and twisties are the way to go (Quarks, D25As, L11C).

PartyPete

Enlightened
Welcome to the rabbit hole.

You've got a pretty open-ended requirement list. CR123 batteries are good for storage and power in a compact size, but can get expensive.

If you want to keep it more budget-friendly, look at Eneloops and a recharger.

Good, all-around flashlights in a 2xAA format:
Fenix E20 (2015) edition
Olight S2A
Thrunite Archer 2A
I've had a Fenix E25 for years now, great general purpose light. I've dropped the thing more times than I can remember and it still works flawlessly. In hindsight, the E20 (or E21 maybe?) probably would have been better - tail switch instead of a side switch, but that's just my preference.

Thrunite Archer 2A is another good one if you want to start with the AA format.

vashshadow

Newly Enlightened
i think i got it down to the thrunite archer 1a/2a the nitecore mt10a or the olight s1a

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Thrunite Archer 1A and would not hesitate to recommend it. I can't give an opinion on whether or not it is better than either the Nitecore MT10A or Olight S1A, but it is definitely worth its price.

The Thrunite Archer 1A is a good light on a NiMH AA battery, and even better on a lithium-ion 14500 battery. It can be used as an EDC light, although it is one of the larger single AA-powered lights.

The 2A has roughly the same output on NiMH AA batteries as the 1A does on lithium-ion, but longer runtime, at the tradeoff of its larger size.

arKmm

Enlightened
If you're in the USA you should be able to get a Surefire G2X Pro within budget.

Super robust, 320 lumens on high, 15(ish) on low, balance of throw and flood, runs on CR123 but you can use rechargeable 16650 too if you prefer. Simple, no frills, military standard flashlight perfect for the job.

waffles45

Newly Enlightened
I am in a similar boat, but mine is a very frequent use "EDC" light (like 10 times a day I will pull it out). If you are just using it for normal daily life, you could look at a CR123A light because they are pretty common in the first-world, but if you want a more versatile light I think 14500/AA compatibility is key (those you can find all over the place, scrounge from a remote or even an alarm clock, etc).
--

The Nitecore MT10A is a fantastic light but was just a bit too bulky for my tastes. I wanted as slim a profile as I could get.
The Olight S1A does not have a lock-out function and would be prone to accidental activation in pocket (can always twist the rear cap to lock-out but for me that is a no-go)

Zebralight SC53c (and it's variants) would be a fantastic light - recessed switch, great build quality but about the same profile as the Nitecore MT10A

EagleTac D25A is also a really nice AA/14500 light. Simple & complex operation based on the setting.

Between the MT10A and the SC53 it would be a hard choice, the Nitecore is more featured though (and their SRT3 is also really cool but just too large for me again).

I have some more listed in this thread but I am probably going to get a Fenix RC05 because of my needs...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ight-light-for-my-needs&p=5129917#post5129917

EDIT:
I usually look at reviews on Youtube, it gives you a good idea of the actual size of the light, and usually an in-depth look at it's operation.

Last edited:

db4rings

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E12 is a great EDC/Emergency Light. Simple, small, and reliable. Runs on single AA battery.

cp2315

Enlightened
+100
First one came to my mind too. Best stock surefire to me, best price.

If you're in the USA you should be able to get a Surefire G2X Pro within budget.

Super robust, 320 lumens on high, 15(ish) on low, balance of throw and flood, runs on CR123 but you can use rechargeable 16650 too if you prefer. Simple, no frills, military standard flashlight perfect for the job.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
im looking for a flashlight that i could use for edc and could work for emergencies. i dont need something thats going the throw very far and i dont need super bright im thinking 300 lumens max. id prefer long runtime over high lumens mainly because where i live budget wise im thinking 40-50 range. now i have some questions about batteries as im just starting would using aa and 14500 that can be recharged better to go or using the cr123 that ive read about on here a better way to go?

Hmmmm, AA vs CR123...

For edc, CR123 is expensive, but expensive is a relative term, depending on what you earn and what you want. However, since you mentioned a moderate price for a light, I'm going to assume that you aren't a high-roller. In that case, I'd suggest that you go with Panasonic's AA Eneloop NiMh cells. They give good performance, and since they are rechargeable, over time they will save you a lot of money over primary cells. In a pinch where you can't get your batteries recharged, you can always find AA alkaleaks to drop in temporarily.
For long-term storage of your light, or increased cold weather performance, you can drop in Energizer AA Ultimate lithium primary cells (however, they are more expensive than alkaleaks, but last much longer).

If you went with a rechargeable in the CR123 size, and ever needed primaries in an emergency, 1. it is going to be difficult to find them, and 2. when you do find them, you will likely pay dearly for them, 3. therefore you would have to buy primaries ahead of time to have on hand "just in case", 4. and you would likely want to rotate them in order to keep your reserve fresh. 5. This means that you would be consuming expensive primaries, which is what you want to avoid doing.

So I suggest that since the light will be edc, and therefore likely/possibly used daily, that you go with a AA light, and for extended runtime, two cell size.