recommend me an equal to an armytek predator 2.5 for throw and efficiency?

mickb

Enlightened
Enjoy using my predator for duty and hunting, the "throw per moderate lumens" is great for the range and longish hours I need to use it. As they are not made anymore and I wanted a backup, I was wondering if there are other options custom or otherwise that equal its older school specs?

A refresher on that being single 18650 based, 600-700 lumens, good battery life, deep reflector, decent throw aka 35,000 CD or so, I'm flexible to interface options. I contacted pflexpro as their M1 looked promising, but it doesn't have a smooth reflector option. Any other makers or models I could check out?

ven

Flashaholic
The convoy C8 might be worth a look, with the xpl HI and a few options regarding driver/UI.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The predator is potted. If that's important to you, then there's no option other than buying Armytek again giving the other criteria. Do note that though the current gen predator has higher throw at max, max can't be regulated for as long as the 2.5 version on max due to high temperature AND driver inefficiency. The next level down that is better regulated will actually scale to a bit less than 35,000 CD.

If potting is not important, then Eagtac, Acebeam, and Nitecore also offer models close to the size of the Predator that can put out 35,000 CD for at least over an hour.

david57strat

Enlightened
The predator is potted. If that's important to you, then there's no option other than buying Armytek again giving the other criteria. Do note that though the current gen predator has higher throw at max, max can't be regulated for as long as the 2.5 version on max due to high temperature AND driver inefficiency. The next level down that is better regulated will actually scale to a bit less than 35,000 CD.

If potting is not important, then Eagtac, Acebeam, and Nitecore also offer models close to the size of the Predator that can put out 35,000 CD for at least over an hour.

In my opinion, fully potted electronics are critically important, if you want a light that is nearly torture-proof in reliability.

mickb

Enlightened
The hounddog is tempting, but head size and lesser efficiency( 800-900lumens for about 29000 CD I think) is bit of a step backwards.

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
The hounddog is tempting, but head size and lesser efficiency( 800-900lumens for about 29000 CD I think) is step backwards. Surprising the predator 2.5 level is not more popular, I know a ton of cops and guards who love the throw per efficiency per compact size. I am starting to wish I bought everything I could in the 2011-2013 era when a lot of choices in 600-700lumens. I still think its the best 18650 level for people using their lights for a work shift, and until 18650 batteries make a 50% jump in capacity will remain so. But I guess 99% of what drives this industry is hobbyists chasing 25 minutes of crazy and light melting lumens lol.

I hear you, brother. The 2.5 is a fantastic light, for its size, and tough as nails.

I have three of their lights, and have zero complaints about any of them. Dead simple interface, and rock solid reliability.

u2zmvQm.jpg

Left to Right: Doberman XP-L, Predator V2.5, XP-G2 R5, and Barracuda XM-L2 T6. Not sure which bin, but this is the warmest Armytek I own, and has a beautiful tint to it.

mickb

Enlightened
PS sorry I edited my post before you quoted me , I thought it was a bit ranty, but good to know there are like minded folks on that subject.

david57strat

Enlightened
PS sorry I edited my post before you quoted me , I thought it was a bit ranty, but good to know there are like minded folks on that subject.

I have nothing against a rant, as long as the information is valid. We all need to hear the bad, along with the good, to make informed decisions about the products we're considering, and where better to hear them, than from other users :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
The hounddog is tempting, but head size and lesser efficiency( 800-900lumens for about 29000 CD I think) is bit of a step backwards.
Well, the 18650 version hasn't been through a version refresh recently, but there is the HoundDog Super.

1350 lm (sustained) / 75K lux, but you'd have to step up to 2x 18650, and an even bigger bezel :shrug:

And I prefer the reliability and customer service....

david57strat

Enlightened
Enjoy using my predator for duty and hunting, the "throw per moderate lumens" is great for the range and longish hours I need to use it. As they are not made anymore and I wanted a backup, I was wondering if there are other options custom or otherwise that equal its older school specs?

A refresher on that being single 18650 based, 600-700 lumens, good battery life, deep reflector, decent throw aka 35,000 CD or so, I'm flexible to interface options. I contacted pflexpro as their M1 looked promising, but it doesn't have a smooth reflector option. Any other makers or models I could check out?

You may want to look at Pflexpro's version of the C8, which is fully potted, and which, by default is built with a forward clicky switch (they usually come with a reverse switch), and comes in a lot of different configurations and tints. Nice! This is actually somewhat shorter than the Predator, but also with a deep, smooth reflector

You can also buy it with micro-textured, anti-reflective lens - supposedly better for throw.

aIKUXct.jpg

Here, from Left to Right, we have an Armytek Dobermann XP-L, a Predator v 2.5, and a pair of Convoy C8s. The one on the far right has a clear finish.

Neither of these C8s is from Pflexpro, but I would certainly not hesitate buying one of their beefed-up versions. The two that I have were stock versions; one from Mountain Electronics (dedomed, with a Guppydrive firmware upgrade, in cool white. I don't like the tint...spoiled for neutral), and the other from Banggood, in a XP-L U3 7A, with Biscotti firmware. Superb programmable interface, and beautifully warm tint.

I don't believe either of these stock units would be nearly as tough as an Armytek, but they didn't cost nearly as much, either, so...apples to oranges.

The Pflexpro version, on the other hand, could do the trick, with the upgrades they've made to it.

I have one of Convoy's M1s, as well, in a 3-mode, with an XM-L2 T6 4C (wonderful, neutral tint); but I hear what you're saying, because of the orange peel reflector. Kind of wish I had pictured that one, in this shot. It's maybe a 1/4 inch shorter than the Dobermann, with almost the same exact sized head.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it helps, the difference between 29,000 and 35,000 CD will not amount to much, if it's noticeable at all. The 800-900 lm from the Hound Dog will provide a bright and useful spill along with a nice punchy hot spot. It's a phenomenal device. It has also been said more than once that AT exaggerates their specifications.

Beyond that, the customer service and quality control at Malkoff devices are first rate. Based on the feedback from others on this forum, I'm not sure the same can be said of AT.

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
Well, the 18650 version hasn't been through a version refresh recently, but there is the HoundDog Super.

1350 lm (sustained) / 75K lux, but you'd have to step up to 2x 18650, and an even bigger bezel :shrug:

And I prefer the reliability and customer service....

Agreed. I think it would be a small compromise to make (going with the smaller bezel, and in a single 18650 configuration); and from everything I've ever ever read about them, and the product I own, of theirs), Gene Malkoff really stands by his products. Everything is hand made here in the States. They really take pride in their work.

david57strat

Enlightened
If it helps, the difference between 29,000 and 35,000 CD will not amount to much, if it's noticeable at all. The 800-900 lm from the Hound Dog will provide a bright and useful spill along with a nice punchy hot spot. It's a phenomenal device. It has also been said more than once that AT exaggerates their specifications.

Beyond that, the customer service and quality control at Malkoff devices is first rate. Based on the feedback from others on this forum, I'm not sure the same can be said of AT.

I suppose I have been fortunate; but I have never once had to call customer service, for any of my Armytek lights. They just work, all the time, every time.

I guess everyone's mileage varies.

mickb

Enlightened
If it helps, the difference between 29,000 and 35,000 CD will not amount to much, if it's noticeable at all. The 800-900 lm from the Hound Dog will provide a bright and useful spill along with a nice punchy hot spot.

Needing 40% more lumens out of the battery to reach that CD is what I meant by malkoff being step back from a predator in efficiency , not its quality or power. Malkoff's orange peels kill the deal for me.

As to the C8 size it might be the way to go. Head is big for pockets though. The predator to me fits in the same pouches and spaces the p60 lights do. I might do some measurements..

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
You may want to look at Pflexpro's version of the C8, which is fully potted, and which, by default is built with a forward clicky switch (they usually come with a reverse switch), and comes in a lot of different configurations and tints. Nice! This is actually somewhat shorter than the Predator, but also with a deep, smooth reflector

You can also buy it with micro-textured, anti-reflective lens - supposedly better for throw.

aIKUXct.jpg

Here, from Left to Right, we have an Armytek Dobermann XP-L, a Predator v 2.5, and a pair of Convoy C8s. The one on the far right has a clear finish.

Neither of these C8s is from Pflexpro, but I would certainly not hesitate buying one of their beefed-up versions. The two that I have were stock versions; one from Mountain Electronics (dedomed, with a Guppydrive firmware upgrade, in cool white. I don't like the tint...spoiled for neutral), and the other from Banggood, in a XP-L U3 7A, with Biscotti firmware. Superb programmable interface, and beautifully warm tint.

I don't believe either of these stock units would be nearly as tough as an Armytek, but they didn't cost nearly as much, either, so...apples to oranges.

The Pflexpro version, on the other hand, could do the trick, with the upgrades they've made to it.

I have one of Convoy's M1s, as well, in a 3-mode, with an XM-L2 T6 4C (wonderful, neutral tint); but I hear what you're saying, because of the orange peel reflector. Kind of wish I had pictured that one, in this shot. It's maybe a 1/4 inch shorter than the Dobermann, with almost the same exact sized head.

That might have sold me on the C8 thanks David, I didn't realise how (relatively) compact it is until seeing an actual photo of it alongside a predator. I'll send Randy at pflexpro an email. He worked some specs out for me one other time but I cancelled the idea due to percieved size.

Do you know what it might weigh? Predator is about 6 ounces.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Needing 40% more lumens out of the battery to reach that CD is what I meant by malkoff being step back from a predator in efficiency , not its quality or power....

I think of the term efficiency (in this context) in terms of lumens per watt .... How you might want those lumens distributed is a whole different matter.

Do you just want a pure pencil beam alone ?

Or a throwy hotspot, but with some surrounding spill ?

david57strat

Enlightened
That might have sold me on the C8 thanks David, I didn't realise how (relatively) compact it is until seeing an actual photo of it alongside a predator. I'll send Randy at pflexpro an email. He worked some specs out for me one other time but I cancelled the idea due to percieved size.

Do you know what it might weigh? Predator is about 6 ounces.

Oddly, I didn't see a weight spec on the Pflexpro site; but looking at another (of the stock version), it's listed at 145 grams (without the battery), which equates to 5.11 ounces. The extra potting may bring the weight up a bit, but I can't imagine it'd be by much.