Replacement for Surefire 6p

Ry`

Newly Enlightened
Hi All!

I joined this forum back in 2007 when I first bought my Surefire 6p. I joined because after a quick google, one of your members was doing a special offer of two rechargeable batteries, a charger and bulb, which seemed appealing at the time!

I used the 6p a few times and put it in a draw whilst life caught up with me and it stayed there ever since. However, I found it the other day & I wanted to see if I could upgrade it to use a LED bulb with rechargeable batteries.

I must admit, the knowledge some of you guys have is phenomenal and it blows my mind a little, so although I'm pretty sure I could upgrade the 6p, I'd rather just buy a new torch.

I will mainly use it for walking the dog, hiking, camping etc… I'm based in the UK and want to spend about £80 ($100USD)

I was going to jump straight in and buy something like a Nitecore P20, as it has a built in charger and seems compact but is there anything else out there similar?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being in the UK complicates things a bit, but yes - you can get an LED drop-in upgrade for your 6P. Basically it's an LED module that you drop-in just like a replacement bulb.

Malkoff M61xx drop-ins
Sportac drop-ins

There are some custom builders on the board, as well as drop-ins from companies like Solarforce.

If you're wanting a new torch entirely, the sky's pretty much the limit. You might look into an 18650-based light from a Chinese-based retail site: the BLF 6 has gotten good reviews overall.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are few lights about these days of as good quality as your 6P, it was built to last.
Treat yourself to a 16650 Li Ion cell from Ecolux.co.uk, a small Xtar charger and get hold of a decent Led drop in (Bulb).
I would suggest a Malkoff M61 which is available in various tints and outputs.
Importing them from the US can be expensive, I do it as I swear by them.
My friend Ven will no doubt be here in minute and tell us of some decent affordable drop ins that you can buy over here.
If you decide to get rid of the 6P, put it up for sale on CPF. One of us will buy it for sure.
P

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing better than a Sportac P60 Triple Nichia :D

Sportac-Feature.jpg

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
+1 on sportac triple, check flashaholics out if in UK. The 219 dual mode appears to be the 219c 4000k which is very nice!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You haven't explicitly said whether you want multiple modes or a single mode light. I know that the majority of the Malkoff M61 drop ins are single mode, but I don't know if any are multiple mode. Also, are you looking for just average throw (~300m or so) or do you really want to reach out and touch someone (1000m+)?
If you do want a single mode light, one company that should have no problems shipping to you would by Lumens Factory. They are located in Hong Kong, so they ship to just about everyone. Mark, the owner, is a member here and joins in once in a while, and has been known to use one or more members as beta testers. I have their Seraph 6, which is a 2 CR123/i 18650 light similar in size and shape to the 6P. They used to sell both single and multiple mode LED P60 style drop ins, but when they upgraded their emitters recently they went to a single mode only. They are worth looking into, and their customer service is great.
As far as multiple mode drop ins, the only one I have that didn't come from Lumens Factory is the CUXM/CUXP from Mountain Electronics. I have found it to be very reliable as well.
While it is not a direct 6P replacement, the Nitecore P30 would be a nice general range/usage light. It too is a 2 CR123/1 18650 light, and the body is roughly the same size as a 6P body. It has a larger head, which allows it to throw a very nice beam ~600M while still having enough spill to nicely light up the immediate area. Due to the head size, it is not going to be a shirt/pants pocket light, but it does ride the belt very nicely, and would be OK in a jacket/coat pocket. If you can not find a European distributor, Nitecore does have an outlet in I believe Singapore, but it might be Hong Kong. That would give you the benefit of official warranty support that you won't get from most other mail order firms.

arKmm

Enlightened
Whereabouts in the UK are you? If you happen to be near London I can show you some options and try to help.

I'd personally upgrade that 6P still ;)