USB C - anybody doing those yet?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It seems the USB cable/port system is exploding like an atomic bomb in the computer/gadget world.
Even Apple is getting in on it.

But has it reached flashlights yet? What would the advantage be beyond reversable plugs? Faster charging perhaps?

Just curious to know since USB charging flashlights are here to stay.

Any thoughts?

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I don't know that battery charging will be any faster but it will be convenient to have a reversible charging port

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm not expert on these cables, but I think max current was increased from the 2.0 to 3.0 standards, and then further yet for USB-C, according to listed specs ....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm not expert on these cables, but I think max current was increased from the 2.0 to 3.0 standards, and then further yet for USB-C, according to listed specs ....

Me neither, which prompted this thread. When I saw a label on my USB C car charger said "not for laptops" I got to reading at some tech-ee sites about them. Then I saw in some cases a gadget is plugged into a device for charging said gadget, unless there is a voltage limiter in the cord one can over tax the other if one or the other don't have matching voltage input/output... or something along those lines (as I don't speak 'electrician')

Made me think 'hmmmm, wonder if flashlights have entered the ring yet"

Sounds like the USB C will phase out our favorite micro USB in time. But it also sounds like not just any old 39¢ cord with an adapter is a good idea, but that some education would be required so that johnnie public won't fry his laptop trying to charge a flashlight.

terjee

Enlightened
Power wise, the major change isn't the change from 2.1A max to 3A max, but rather the higher voltage. You go from supporting max 10-12W, to a standard that allows up to about 100W.

None of that matters for most flashlights though, as those 10-12W are fine for charging single cell lights.

Another change is that USB-C allows for weirder setups like bi-directional charging, so you could potentially use a light to charge a phone for example.

In practical terms, the biggest change might be a better connector. MicroUSB was always a bit crappy. ;-)

maukka

Enlightened
It seems the USB cable/port system is exploding like an atomic bomb in the computer/gadget world.

But has it reached flashlights yet? What would the advantage be beyond reversable plugs? Faster charging perhaps?

The contact resistance of the USB-C connector is much smaller than on the Micro-USB. This helps with high currents, such as with the Olight X7R which charges at 3.5 amps at 5 volts. The 80cm cable it came with has lower total resistance (including the connections) than any of my short high quality micro cables. Of course USB-C PD or QC2.0/3.0 at higher voltages is easier when the current can be dropped while the power stays the same.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Exploding might be apt - the USB standard is getting bogged down in complexity. Support for USB 3.1 and the C-style connector seems to be inconsistently implemented, and various users and reviewers are finding non-universal support for some accessories on various devices, or even more severe problems like failure to properly negotiate charge voltages and currents, which can result in damage. With lithium ion batteries involved...

When all this is sorted out, the higher allowable voltages may be beneficial for multi-cell flashlights, and hopefully the connectors prove more durable than micro-USB.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Yeah, I was reading about some reccomended cords n chargers.. and ones to avoid too. Also a couple of adapter brands were mentioned.

Basically the kind you see in box stores like Best Buy are ok to use. But it sounds like the 44¢ fleaBay stuff should be avoided and soon there'll probably be lots of fakes if not already...
Something like this:
Google brand USB A to C, 3 meters... $1.15 plus free shipping....

recDNA

Flashaholic
All I know is I had to buy all new accessories for my phones. PITA if you ask me.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I would personally like to see usb c used for a stand alone charger like the vc4 or lii 100 for example not just for built in light chargers. Then I can use the same cables and power bricks interchangeably which is the whole point of universal. Would make my travel set up much simpler.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would personally like to see usb c used for a stand alone charger like the vc4 or lii 100 for example not just for built in light chargers. Then I can use the same cables and power bricks interchangeably which is the whole point of universal. Would make my travel set up much simpler.
I was just thinking that maybe this is why Xtar decided to use the cable they did on the VC4. Now all anyone has to do is order a USB-C to 5v barrel (type N, not type M) and they are all set to go. Or, one could always get one of the USB-C to USB-A adapters out there.

And yes, USB 3.1 and higher allow voltages as high as20v along with the increased current. The options get rather complex at that point, which is why some of the early adopters and/or cheaper manufacturers are having problems with doing things right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power_related_specifications

Last edited: