Dangerous accidental turn-off (Fenix press & hold switch). USE 2 lights at once

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
This probably applies to other brands of light as well.
For the past couple weeks I've been trying to dry out my garage after the first torrential rain got in.
Hampered by raining every couple days since.
So tonight when I saw my gutter overflowing, I had to go up on the roof to clear it.
I had the light (Fenix E25UE, with a single 14xxx size battery, so about 8" long) secured around my wrist with the lanyard, so I could let it dangle when I needed that hand.

And at some point when I was holding the light, it went out.
My gloved hand had grasped it in such a way that I was pressing on the switch, and it turned off.

Since 1 is none, I had a QuiqLite lapel light turned on as well, so I could still see in front of me.

I've noted before that the switch on this light cannot easilty be felt by the thumb, especially when wearing gloves. So it was imperative to use a second light at the same time.

It has a dual switch; it occurs to me that some such switches could accidentally activate strobe -- which could have startled and disoriented me and resulted in falling off the roof. So "work lights" should not have strobe, SOS, etc functions.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dangerous accidental turn-off (Fenix press & hold switch). USE 2 lights at once

I've found my favorite work lights are the ones with the simplest ui. My favorites are my Malkoff lights with a Hi/low switch (twist head to change mode), my HDS rotary, and any simple single mode light. I also prefer a tail operated light because I always know where the switch is.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dangerous accidental turn-off (Fenix press & hold switch). USE 2 lights at once

Anytime I have to go onto the roof at night during a rainstorm, I always wear a headlamp. And the only one I trust is the Fenix HL55.

There is always a second HL55 in my chest pouch or jacket pocket.

For me, a handheld light is of little use in that situation. I need both hands at all times.

Last edited:

irongate

Enlightened

use a headlamp at all cost. The reason why-you are climbing a ladder and holding onto a flashlight also not good and being on a roof and cleaning your gutter should have both hands free =please.
I use to work on roofs during daylight hours and we were always careful what we had in our hands, our footwear. And rain just adds another element to it.
wear a headlamp is all I can say. It is not fun falling off a roof I know.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Thanks for the warning.

I use wrist lanyards for the same reason you cite.

Now, a few years ago I took one of those garden hose watering rods you can use to wash gutters from the ground and turned it into a downspout clog opener. I removed the watering tip and replaced it with a steak knife. Popsicle sticks and electrical tape around the tip made it sturdy.
While standing on the ground I just place the knife that is aiming at about 150° away from up, just poke around until the clog has a hole in it. Soon all that backed up water acts as a plunger. Sometimes it takes a few tries, but since building that device I've yet to have to climb up on the roof in the rain due to overflowing gutters.

The trickiest part is holding an umbrella while using the tool.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast

+3 to the headlamp suggestions.

For me, a handheld light is for a non-work, inspection type of situation, or at least working intermittently with inspection in between. Anytime I know there may be work involved, the headlamp comes out. It is the proper tool for the job and keeps you safer and able to complete the task more quickly and precisely.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Don't forget to have a break-a-way on your lanyard. Also I find a headlamp more effective than flashlight for some (but not all) things.