Melbourne DownUnder 2017 Spring/Summer meet. 11th November.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting the ball rolling...

Any ideas as to a location? Would the Saturday on Melbourne Cup "long" weekend be ok to meet up?

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Melbourne DownUnder 2017 Spring/Summer meet.

I'd really like to make it to this one. subscribing to this thread so I don't forget.

To make things a bit easier i have a new job where I don't have to be On Call any more, so I have more weekends free. To make things harder, it's in NSW, so I probably don't get a long weekend for Melbourne Cup

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMGP2359.jpg

IMGP9226.jpg

Working on Gavins Light ( or mine ? )
Hopefully have it running today ..
Replaced the emitter , doing some re-wiring ... (?)
Glue has dried , so more soldering - then some re assembly .

As long as its not too far away ...
Lysterfield Lake ?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

OMG the LAG !!! :eek:oo:

PS / Gavin - Ur light wants to go home .... :thumbsup:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Simon! Nice to have you join us! Dates can be flexible I guess, Lysterfield Lake is good.... but open to suggestions....

Matt, that light is yours... no worries... I got a new toy from Vinh...

20170821_113916.jpg

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Simon! Nice to have you join us! Dates can be flexible I guess, Lysterfield Lake is good.... but open to suggestions....

Matt, that light is yours... no worries... I got a new toy from Vinh...

20170821_113916.jpg

Looks interesting ..
Ok -

1) We havent been to Westerfolds Park in a while ...
2) Jells Park
3) Cardinia was nice

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Westerfolds Park is pretty huge, I gotta drive there to recce the place out for a good spot. I am pretty sure they close the car park gates at dusk but the exit gates should be open 24hrs...

As for an alternate location, anyone up for a night walk in the Dandenongs? There is a fantastically dark spot at Sherbrooke Picnic area thats a mild 1.5km walk to a waterfall, its a 24hrs access park and has ample parking.

Cambertree

Newly Enlightened

Hello all,

i was very interested to see this thread. I've only just joined CPF, while recently looking to learn more about recent LED technology - I've been upgrading some of my camping and outdoor use lights.

I'd be very interested to attend a meet/night walk. I also know the Mt Dandenong forests and walking trails and parks very well, as I live close by, so that sounds like a great option. If people are interested, there's a bunch of local places I could recommend, that are 'open' access in the evening, and have a variety of terrain to demonstrate light throw on.

Sounds like an excellent idea.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to CPF Cambertree! Will be great if you could suggest some good locations for a meet.

Cambertree

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Fusion_m8!

The RJ Hamer Forest Arboretum in Olinda is a great spot. It's up on Mt Dandenong, has a BBQ area and 24hr access car park overlooking a large valley. The paths down into the valley wind through forests of many different kinds of trees from around the world. There's some patches of conifer forest that would be very dark at night, yet easy to access. Also a bit of wildlife around...

http://m.parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/rj-hamer-arboretum-gardens-of-the-dandenongs

There's other spots too, but that ones a pretty good one.:grin2:

Sunday might be better for me, if it's Cup Weekend, but preferably not a long weekend - I usually head up bush the whole weekend.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Westerfolds Park is pretty huge, I gotta drive there to recce the place out for a good spot. I am pretty sure they close the car park gates at dusk but the exit gates should be open 24hrs...

As for an alternate location, anyone up for a night walk in the Dandenongs? There is a fantastically dark spot at Sherbrooke Picnic area thats a mild 1.5km walk to a waterfall, its a 24hrs access park and has ample parking.

I seem to remember a Hill overlooking a field .. Next to a Center of some sort ( Restaurant ? )

Night walk ? Might need a flashlight for that ! :naughty:

Cambertree

Newly Enlightened

Yes it's a fantastic spot. If you don't live on the outer east side of Melbourne, it's probably similar in travel distance, roughly to Lysterfield Lake, or Cardinia Dam.

If you haven't been there before, it's a great spot to know about, that you can return to for hikes, barbies, picnics etc.

The trails vary from really easy walks to longer hiking type tracks.

As I mentioned, there's a bunch of other spots, which I could recommend, but this is probably one of the best ones.

6XLVXUb.jpg

Anyway, I'm happy to go with whatever you guys choose, of course. What do you all reckon?.

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Need a show of hands, yay or nay if the Saturday on Cup Weekend is the preferred date or shall we make it the Saturday(Oaks Day) after? It would make sense to agree on a date first before we even decide the location.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

4th of Nov - 11th Nov .... ( Either is fine ) October is fine as well ( 4 Me )