auxiliary LED lights 12-30v

SnoSheriff

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I purchased auxiliary lights for my golf cart. The golf cart is electric with six 6volt batteries. The lights list 12-30 volts. I tested them on all 36volts and they worked. Can I just run them all all 36volts? What are the cons of doing that?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
the risk will be in overdriving the LEDs and/or driver failure from overvoltage. may not fry right away but easily could cook over time, or they could be just fine. hard to say, not knowing the lights you bought.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will not likely overdrive the LEDs unless the driver fails, as they should be at constant-current. But as mentioned, overvoltage could damage the driver, so not recommended. I would even drive below the stated limit (30v) for margin. Also, the battery voltage could be higher than 36v during part of its charge cycle.

I bought such a utility light: 9 LEDs with 10-30v rating. Managed to pop the plastic lens off without damage, although it was glued in place. Found SMT power LEDs in groups of 3, each with driver IC. LEDs were 3 in series per group so required about 10-11v. I could even turn voltage down to around 8v where they dropped off, although LEDs dimmed below 10v.

Dave

Last edited: