CL20R-E12__11786.1504793948.1280.1280.jpg

CL20R-E13__91412.1504793950.1280.1280.jpg

CL20R-E14__35074.1504793952.1280.1280.jpg

CL20R-E15__00840.1504793954.1280.1280.jpg

CL20R-E16__75921.1504793956.1280.1280.jpg

Preorder Now!

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Looks like a great light! :) However,i how some questions regarding the charging port on this light and also the charging port on the CL25R. With the protecting rubber flap removed, how water resistant is the charging port it self on the CL20R and on the CL25R?

Can the charging ports on the CL20R and the CL25R withstand being exposed to rain if the rubber flaps happens to got loose? :thinking:

Does the CL20R has instant access to lowest mode directly from off?

Last edited:

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
It does look great! We should have them in our warehouse next week.

Let us answer your questions:

1. The rubber gasket cover is HIGHLY encouraged to secure in place once charging is over. The port itself is waterproof to IPX66 rating (dustproof and can withstand rain and heavy splashing). See THIS IMAGE. There is no protection against SUBMERSION in water.
Now, with that said, the rubber gasket is a secondary back up to the protection. It's just very important that you keep it covered.

2. Please look at the USER MANUAL for the CL20R. The light doesn't have memory and the turn-on default mode is Low.

Anymore questions?

Looks like a great light! :) However,i how some questions regarding the charging port on this light and also the charging port on the CL25R. With the protecting rubber flap removed, how water resistant is the charging port it self on the CL20R and on the CL25R?

Can the charging ports on the CL20R and the CL25R withstand being exposed to rain if the rubber flaps happens to got loose? :thinking:

Does the CL20R has instant access to lowest mode directly from off?

ThatPhotoGuy

Newly Enlightened
I just looked at the Fenix website and the CL20 is no longer listed. Is the CL20R replacing it? This new version looks awesome but I do like replaceable batteries as well for prolonged power outages. If it's discontinued I might have to pick up a few more of the old style.

terjee

Enlightened
I really hope the CL20 non-R or a similar product becomes available again. I was about to buy it when it started to disappear. Being able to put some lithiums in it, and fallback to CR123A, made it an interesting "long time storage, yet ready at moments notice"-type option, than can also use Eneloops and standard alkalines.

The CL20R seems like a very interesting light, but for completely different reasons.

One question about the CL20R though, how would it perform with a power bank? Would it be able to charge and power from the power bank at the same time? Would it power off of the power bank and not charge? Etc.

ThatPhotoGuy

Newly Enlightened
I really hope the CL20 non-R or a similar product becomes available again. I was about to buy it when it started to disappear. Being able to put some lithiums in it, and fallback to CR123A, made it an interesting "long time storage, yet ready at moments notice"-type option, than can also use Eneloops and standard alkalines.

The CL20R seems like a very interesting light, but for completely different reasons.

One question about the CL20R though, how would it perform with a power bank? Would it be able to charge and power from the power bank at the same time? Would it power off of the power bank and not charge? Etc.

I totally agree, the long term storage with multiple fuel sources is the reason I love it! I keep one in my bug out bag for that reason.
I believe that the CL20R would work when connected to a power bank. According to the literature it will run on low and medium while plugged in and since a power bank is meant to replicate a wall charger, I would assume it would work in that situation.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Yes, the CL20 is now discontinued since the CL20R has taken its place. We do have some CL20s left. Please log into your Fenix Store account and click on the INSIDER SPECIALS banner. You will see the discontinued lights there. Grab what you want fast because we can't get these lights anymore. Thanks!

I just looked at the Fenix website and the CL20 is no longer listed. Is the CL20R replacing it? This new version looks awesome but I do like replaceable batteries as well for prolonged power outages. If it's discontinued I might have to pick up a few more of the old style.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Please look at the reply to ThatPhotoGuy concerning the old CL20 model.

Power banks differ so much it's hard to reply to this question. You would have to see if it has the ability to support recharging a
1600mAh Li-polymer battery. Because of the limitations of power banks, it would probably be best to NOT operate the light while charging the battery.

Last edited:

terjee

Enlightened
Please look at the reply to ThatPhotoGuy concerning the old CL20 model.

Highly appreciate it! Just ordered, many thanks!

Power differ so much it's hard to reply to this question. You would have to see if it has the ability to support recharging a
1600mAh Li-polymer battery. Because of the limitations of power banks, it would probably be best to NOT operate the light while charging the battery.

Having given it some more thought, this is probably not a huge issue. With medium being rated for 12 hours and turbo for 6 hours, it's likely that use during evening/night, and charge during day, would work fine even on higher modes.

I still feel it fills a different space than the CL20, but that's fair enough. Downside is I might have to get both. :p

ThatPhotoGuy

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the CL20 is now discontinued since the CL20R has taken its place. We do have some CL20s left. Please log into your Fenix Store account and click on the INSIDER SPECIALS banner. You will see the discontinued lights there. Grab what you want fast because we can't get these lights anymore. Thanks!

Thanks for letting me know! I just placed my order for a couple more (and for the 15th anniversary light too! Gotta love clearance!)

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this looks great. I have 3 CL20 lights around the house that get used almost daily. I think I am going to have to pull the trigger on this, everything about it will be an upgrade from my point of view and use.

I realize that this battery chemistry can usually last many charge/discharge cycles, but will the battery be replaceable if it becomes too old or some other problem?

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't know.... perhaps I'm too old and too fat for this sort of thing.

I'll stick with cr123As, when I'm out in the field, it could be hours or it could be days before a lighting instrument can get a recharge. Discharging a lithium ion to about 25% then leave it there for a couple days wears down on the operating life of the battery. I'd rather be reassured the only battery I destroyed was a single use. However, I'm happy to see this as an option, that the original had not been discontinued. So far I'm loving my pair of CL25R and looking forward to the CL09 arriving next week.

Bentjudges

Newly Enlightened
The Top Selling Fenix CL20 Lantern is Now Released in a Rechargeable Version

Awesome trick i think im going to buy it A little question : the price is 2 and i live in France so i pay in € so what do i have to do to buy it with paypall?

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Re: The Top Selling Fenix CL20 Lantern is Now Released in a Rechargeable Version

During the checkout process, you will have the option to pay with PayPal.

Awesome trick i think im going to buy it A little question : the price is 2 and i live in France so i pay in € so what do i have to do to buy it with paypall?

Cemoi

Enlightened
Re: The Top Selling Fenix CL20 Lantern is Now Released in a Rechargeable Version

Bentjudges asked:
i live in France so i pay in € so what do i have to do to buy it (...)

Fenix-store replied on 10-12-2017:

Although according to a 6-28-17 update on https://www.fenix-store.com/shipping-info/ "we are no longer able to ship to: (...) France..."

so what?
I also live in France, can I order from your website?

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor

As there are more Fenix distributors located worldwide, we are directing customers to their local sellers. Please email [email protected] and we will assist in locating a Fenix dealer in France. Thanks!
Bentjudges asked:
i live in France so i pay in € so what do i have to do to buy it (...)

Fenix-store replied on 10-12-2017:

Although according to a 6-28-17 update on https://www.fenix-store.com/shipping-info/ "we are no longer able to ship to: (...) France..."

so what?
I also live in France, can I order from your website?

HandyRandy

Newly Enlightened
I have a friend asking me why you need to use so many LEDs in this light? Why not just a few given that we have improved LED technology so much lately. Just an curious science question.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the option to buy the CL20R for a good price.
I'm a little reluctant to do this because it uses a non-replaceable battery.
I already have CL09, CL26R and CL23 even though I only use the first two (CL23 is packed to be used only in case of SHTF)
I do not currently use the Fenix lantern in tents but only at home, what I appreciate most is the light projected downwards (lanterns hung with a rope from the ceiling)

CL09 and CL26 (using only the bottom light) are perfect for this but the hanging CL20R would be too.

This thread is a few years old, now I wonder after a few years from the purchase do those who bought the CL20R have something to say about the longevity of its non-replaceable battery ?
Thanks

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
I have the option to buy the CL20R for a good price.
I'm a little reluctant to do this because it uses a non-replaceable battery.
I already have CL09, CL26R and CL23 even though I only use the first two (CL23 is packed to be used only in case of SHTF)
I do not currently use the Fenix lantern in tents but only at home, what I appreciate most is the light projected downwards (lanterns hung with a rope from the ceiling)

CL09 and CL26 (using only the bottom light) are perfect for this but the hanging CL20R would be too.

This thread is a few years old, now I wonder after a few years from the purchase do those who bought the CL20R have something to say about the longevity of its non-replaceable battery ?
Thanks
This question is best answered by the location where you purchased the light. The serial number will help with knowing the warranty center who would handle the battery issue. Fenix provides the 5-year warranty on Fenix products. If the light is out of warranty, then the way it is handled is determined by the seller. I checked with Fenix Store, and here is their policy:

"If it is within 5-year warranty period then we just do a light replacement but if it isn't within warranty then we give them a warranty discount on a new light. But that all depends on if the serial number is our product."

Hope that helps! If you need to know who your seller is, please see the pinned post on this page.