Peak Eiger Ultra mini-review

Agpp

Enlightened
For submission in the reviews forum.

Hey, I'd like to share my experiences with Peak Eiger that I bought in 2013.
1. Ordering
At the moment Peak only offered Eigers with XP-G diodes, but as I wanted the best possible efficiency, I asked them to make a custom with a top-bin XP-G2. This was not a problem for them. After a consultation as to which Eiger variant do I want, I ended up picking Ultra non-X because of AAA battery's higher energy content compared to 10440. I expected that I would need to carry several spares and did all I could to make the light efficient. I was told the output of non-X would be lower (300 lm instead of 500) and I decided it was worth the sacrifice. I also liked the fact that if I end up with an empty battery, it's easier to get a replacement, you can buy AAAs in many places. In the 4 years of using the light I never used this possibility though.
I picked a wide-beam head.
I also ordered a pair of battery tubes - pocket 10180 for EDC and 10440 for the uses when I need long runtime.
I paid $90 for the set (+diode), $25 of which was shipping.
2. First impression
...was very negative. I didn't receive what I ordered. Instead of 10180 pocket I received 10180 lug and, I guess to sweeten the deal, a pair of 10280 tubes which were useless for me.
It took half a year to decide on what I wanted and to have it shipped (I was the main source of delay), I was so tired of it that I did nothing to have it fixed.
Nevertheless the light was reasonably bright, very small and I loved the UI.
3. Long term experiences.
Nearly all of the time when I used it, I did it with AAA battery. Eiger is so small with it that it was not really worth the trouble to swap to 10180. And besides, I was angry for not receiving what I ordered.
I used the light hand-held, mouth-held and with a headband that my woman made me. It was mostly for walking, as a camping light and to search for something in the dark.
For the first and the second case, the output is more than adequate. For the last one, AAA just doesn't deliver. Actually I've seen phone LEDs that would outshine it and for this reason I stopped EDCing it - if it's not much better than what I have anyway, it's not worth carrying around.
The beam is very floody, there were cases when I needed to shine at distance and just couldn't. Low output doesn't help.
A single 1100 mAh AAA is enough to power the light for like 6 hours with enough output to walk comfortably. As a camping light - with minimal output it can run for very long. It's hard to tell how long, quite a few times I forgot to turn it off and 8 hours wouldn't make a noticeable dent. I guess it's enough to work for many days.
Only after a couple of years I bought the last part necessary to actually use 10180 (that is: a multimeter). Turn on - it was very bright. I was very happy...until I tried to regulate the output. It doesn't work. It appears that Ultra (non-X) with Li-ion works as a single mode light only.
AW 10180 is discharged after 30 minutes.
I contacted Peak about it. They said that the QTC pill is in the battery tube, so I just got a non-QTC one. They could try to retrofit a pill in it for the cost of shipping.
So I ordered some pkcell 10440s. They indeed have regulation, but the range is different. With AAA the light goes from firefly to bright. With 10440 it goes from brighter to even brighter. Even in the lowest mode it gets fairly hot, but not to the point of making me worried.
I'm sad because having either high output or great UI, but not both is flawed. Is is because my pill has worn down? I don't think so, with AAA it's still great. I wonder how's the X variant. I asked Peak again, but got no answer in nearly a week.
So it's done, I'm be phasing this light out in favour of something larger, but brighter. The keychain tube will find its use after all, on the neck of my woman. She likes 10440 too and EDCs it.
4. Summary
Overall, I have mixed experiences with this light. I didn't receive the body tube that I ordered. The amount of light with AAA is enough, but that's it, I wish to have more. With Li-ion regulation is no good.
But on the other hand, the light worked flawlessly, with great size and runtime. I absolutely love the UI (with AAA) with the ability to adjust the output to my actual needs. And I love how it scales down to very low levels. With li-ion it's a disappointment. Output is high, but regulation doesn't work well.
I'd say that it's a great tool, but not a good toy.
5. My next Peak
I wanted to get Eiger Ultra X with dedomed XP-L and narrow optics. Peak's Robyn told me they had some nice LEDs in the pipeline and that I would be satisfied.
Despite 2 nags, I got no communication from them since then. It's been well over a month. So I'm not getting another Peak in the foreseeable future.