Need a pocket friendly EDC for frequent use, can't find the right light for my needs

waffles45

Newly Enlightened
(Scroll down for the "checklist")
Firstly, I want to say I am sorry for this post - you all must get 1000 of these a week. Huge thank you in advance, already learned alot from just browsing reviews and posts on Candlepowerforums :thumbsup:
--

I have been searching for days but can't really find a light that matches what I am looking for and hence this post. There are so many lights that I am now unsure of what I even want but here are the cliff notes:

I am deploying overseas to a harsh environment very soon (non-military), I need to make a decision and purchase something no later than Monday (3 days) so waiting for something from China is not feasible. I went to my local outdoor shop but nothing really fit the bill.

I am also afraid to buy something that is going to break or be of garbage quality - I am going to be in Africa for 6+ months and will be using this light 90% of the time. I have an ATactical A1S already but it is just a touch too big to carry at all times, but will be my primary night time light.

I need something thinner (14500 battery), very portable & streamlined for easy pocket ingress/egress, reversible clip or that will clip to a hat, short distance flood (task?) light, have a moonlight mode, and ideally neutral white. Required feature is something that won't turn on in my pocket all the time, nor will it be a pain to turn on one handed at the drop of a hat.

Highly desired features are a magnetic base, onboard charging of some sort (though I will have a battery charger)

It will be a very frequent use light, and when I need light I dont want to have to fumble around to get it to turn on or fumble through settings​
--

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

Online, USA Shipping

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

~$60 max ideally

3) Format:

14500 cell pocket friendly "EDC" flashlight. I will carry this all day every day, and use it probably once an hour for a few seconds to a few minutes.

4) Size:

TINY, STREAMLINED BODY

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED, NEUTRAL WHITE PREFERRED BUT NOT MANDATORY

6) Manufacturer:

DON'T CARE

7) What power source do you want to use?

- RECHARGEABLE, 14500 probably
- AA compatibility as a backup would be nice

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

USB RECHARGEABLE IDEALLY, NOT A DEAL BREAKER

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

- Moonlight mode (sub 1 lumen) to ~300+ Lumens OTF.

SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

- More modes are good I guess, but too many modes are a detriment to a daily light

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

- Wide to Narrow Flood (task/inspection lighting)

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

- 1-5 meters

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

- The longer the better?
- I guess 1+ hour of runtime on the medium setting at least

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

- CRITICAL, stationed in a very remote area for 6+ months

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

- Reverse clicky tail mounted switch ideally with a dedicated mode button is nice.
- That may not exist in a small, slim 14500 package so I may be stuck with a side button light

- The big thing for me is I don't want it accidentally turning on in my pocket/bag, nor do I want to have to fumble through settings every time I pull it out.
- Not really sure, I am a flashlight n00b but just need something dependable and kind of simple in operation - it is a tool and not a toy for me.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

4-5 Levels ideally
Firefly (moonlight), low, medium, high

Strobe feature is nice, turbo mode and beacon modes would be nice I suppose, SOS not needed

14)Material/Finish/Coating

- Any, the less "flashy" the better, I don't want it to draw too much attention or get stolen. Should survive bumps and mild drops.

15) Water resistance

- IPX7 at a minimum

16) Storage conditions

- Daily use, hot weather, wet weather

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

- Reversible pocket clip, I want to clip it to my hat

- Magnetic mount preferred, tail stand-able at a minimum

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hi waffles, and welcome :wave:

No worries on your request ... we on CPF enjoy helping others, and you have helped us to help you, by using the checklist properly[emoji106]

If I may make a suggestion somewhat "outside" of the lines you have drawn above, my recommendation would be for the Peak Logan 17500.

It can run on AA of any chemistry, as well as 14500 or 17500. With adapters, it can run on many more options.

Twist switch and potted electronics for reliability.

Variable output provided by QTC, which does not provide a fine level of control, but is more robust than using electronics to do so.

In anodized aluminum, cost should be in line with your budget, and appearance is low profile.

I realize this does not check off all of the boxes above, however. Clicky switches are less reliable, and more prone to accidental activation. And 14500 cells are far less readily available than standard AA (or even NiMH AA) . And in-flashlight charging introduces another potential point of vulnerability.

I have used a Peak Logan 17500 as a travel torch for years, although in the stainless steel version, and have yet to find a better option (for my personal needs)

Good luck, and cheers !

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Arch is right with the Peak.
I bought a Peak Eiger a while back, very bright on Li ions and it just works, no messing.
They are such simple lights that's there's not much to go wrong, which given where you're going is a big plus.
The complex multi mode all singing and dancing lights look Ok, but I wouldn't want one if if were my only light.
Me being me, I'd recommend a Malkoff MDC 1AA but apart from always lighting and being bombproof it doesn't check any of your boxes, especially the price.
Stay safe.
p

Keitho

Enlightened
Zebralight SC53c is side clicky, tail stand-able, great beam, great UI, discreet, and small/lightweight; but, can't use 14500. Their previous version accepts 14500's, the SC52. There are several versions of each light (flood vs spot-flood, warm vs cool, high CRI). I personally prefer the higher CRI, warmer lights (SC53c is one of my favorite lights). Both the SC52 and 53 will accept alkaline and lithium, but they don't perform as well, apparently (I've never personally tried, I always have Eneloops around). Amazon prime in the US has some of the versions available if you need quick shipping. Best of luck!

waffles45

Newly Enlightened
Typed this out twice, and for whatever reason both times the forum gave me an "over capacity" webserver error and deleted my post :(

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. The Peak Logan 17500 looks like a really nice light, but even with the momentary upgrade - I need something that is one handed operation. I often hold the light in my mouth and with one hand occupied, not possible to have a twist cap or momentary only. I DO think I will pick up a cheap tiny AAA maglite LED just for a backup though, my batt charger supports Eneloop AAA's as well so thanks for pointing me in that direction.

I did look at Zebralight models, and while they all look really nice they aren't as streamlined as I would like and just a touch too bulky. I always have so much crap in my pockets...
HUGE points for the recessed button (probably the reason for the "girth), I can probably overlook the size and lack of 14500 compatibility and just use Eneloops but the China shipping makes this impossible (doh!)

I am pretty sure that a clicky (button on the back) is going to conflict with magnetic and rechargeable, but good point on recharging circuits possibly harming reliability.
Both of those are "frills" in my book, but it must tail-stand in the absence of non-magnetic.
A lock-out function is 100% necessary because I will be pulling the light out randomly and without warning. I could rotate the clip over the button I guess but I will probably neglect to do that at some point and have it accidentally deploy.

So my current candidates list (just what I have stumbled upon during my research)

Fenix LD12
- So close to perfect. Rear clicky with a mode button, neutral white. Hits pretty much all of my requirements except it won't tail stand!! :mad:
--- I can forego the tail-stand capability because the operation is exactly what I want, but slightly less than ideal. My heart sank when I read that it would not tail-stand though, not sure why Fenix overlooked that :(

Fenix RC05
- Almost perfect for me, the only concern being that I am afraid of accidental activation. The lock-out mode seems less intrusive than most side click lights though, and I can rotate the clip to try and prevent accidental No neutral white option.
- Magnetic and tail stand are a huge bonus and I can overlook the 2-second lockout.
- Almost pulled the trigger on this one, but started searching and it is not a super popular light, unsure why though. No real negative reviews I can find

ThruNite Archer 1A V3
- Also almost perfect (arguably the closest), tail click + mode dial. True moonlight mode
- Bad reviews, lots of people saying they aren't durable

Thorfire TG06S
- Also nearly perfect, no built-in charging which is probably a bonus. Neutral white, true moonlight mode which is really nice
- No momentary, no memory (which is OK but defaults to high meaning higher battery drain).
- Cheap enough to buy 2 I guess, and the reviews are good...

Manker E11
- Nice looking light, almost ticks all my boxes. Neutral white option. No onboard charging, but no lockout mode which is a dealbreaker

Jetbeam E10R
- Looks OK, didn't really wow me based on video reviews. Not that many negative durability reviews which is good
- Mode operation is very clunky making this a no-go considering the better choices out there

Klarus Mi7
- Button looks like it is going to turn on ALL the time in my pocket, and the lockout mode looks clunky based on reviews? 5 second press means I am not going to lock it out and it will likely turn on accidentally.
- 5 second lockout is just way too long, 2s is bearable - 5s is frustrating.

Olight S1A/R
- Again, almost perfect if they included a lockout function. Lots of reports of it turning on in pocket unless you rotate the clip.
- Great build quality

Emisar D4 Quad
- Very nice light, but 18650 makes the case too "fat" for me unfortunately
- Also way overkill in brightness

------

Any other great options other than the Fenix RC05 or LD12 (my two top choices as of now)?
The Zebralight SC53c is high on the list if I can find a US retailer

I do appreciate the suggestions though!! There are so many lights on the market it makes my head spin :thinking:

EDIT:
Also, the reason why I want it to be either an AA or 14500 battery (with AA compatibility) is because if I find myself off-base without a spare battery, I can probably scrounge in a remote or random equipment to find a spare AA battery because they are so common (in case anyone was wondering)

Last edited: