HURRICANE IS COMING AT US. Please help with propane lantern question if you can.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I have an older Coleman propane lantern with electronic ignition. The battery is not replaceable. The lantern model is 5145700B.

I took it out today while I took a break from placing sandbags around doors, taking outdoor furniture indoors, etc. Man, I'm bushed. Too old for this crap.

Anyway, I guess the battery the electronic ignition runs on is shot. It's not sparking, damn it.

Will it be safe to remove the top and the globe and hold a match by the mantles and then replace the globe and screw the top back on?

I won't be using it indoors, just outside. I just want to save flashlight batteries. :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Hi Mickey, I do not know how to answer your question. From what I am seeing on the coverage of the storm, I understand Florida's Governor is asking all Floridians to evacuate. I will keep you and yours and all those in the path of Irma in my prayers. God bless you.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There should be a air intake at the bottom ... just stick a lit match thru there at low propane output setting...it should go.

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
There should be a air intake at the bottom ... just stick a lit match thru there at low propane output setting...it should go.

Yep. Should be a small oval or round hole in the bottom metal piece that the globe sits on. Put a lit match to that right after starting the gas, and Bob's your uncle. Be safe, sir!!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't mess with it at all - especially with the wind and other potential problems. Sounds like it's just adding danger to an already very dangerous situation. Unless that's the only light you have and have used up all your flashlight batteries and don't have any way to charge them. Go with using flashlights first and only the lantern as a last resort. I don't know what type of flashlights you have but most LED lights have a low setting that can last for many hours and some can last many days. Blessings - be safe!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If it's not too late, long wooden matches would be the safest. And using needle nose pliers to hold any match will add distance between you and anything that catches fire.

That's how my pop used to light his old lanterns back in the day, like the others stated.

Hope you fare well there.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey,

I have an older Coleman propane lantern with electronic ignition. The battery is not replaceable. The lantern model is 5145700B.

I took it out today while I took a break from placing sandbags around doors, taking outdoor furniture indoors, etc. Man, I'm bushed. Too old for this crap.

Anyway, I guess the battery the electronic ignition runs on is shot. It's not sparking, damn it.

Will it be safe to remove the top and the globe and hold a match by the mantles and then replace the globe and screw the top back on?

I won't be using it indoors, just outside. I just want to save flashlight batteries. :)

Thanks!

I have two new/modern Coleman lanterns--a duel fuel (white gas/petrol) two mantle and a propane dual mantle.

You can remove the top and then the globe and light it on low, that way, but be sure not to poke any holes in the fragile mantles, or you'll have to reinstall a new set and do the burn.

I didn't fire mine up last night, as it will work and I left the mantles fresh, since they're more robust this way if I don't need to use it/them. I haven't even bothered to fiddle with my white gas lantern/single burner stove, as they can be messy and I don't want to deal with the fumes in my condo.

If Hell freezes over, than sure.

Chris

flphotog

Newly Enlightened
Hi Mickey, I do not know how to answer your question. From what I am seeing on the coverage of the storm, I understand Florida's Governor is asking all Floridians to evacuate. I will keep you and yours and all those in the path of Irma in my prayers. God bless you.

Let's not go starting false rumors, a complete evac was not and probably never will be ordered. Scott did declare a state of emergency but not a complete evac. I'm in Pinellas county and at this point there is only a mandatory evac in place for level A and B and all mobile homes, I doubt (could be wrong here) that it will go beyond that, time will tell.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
FYI for the future, that's piezoelectric ignition, not electronic. You sometimes have to click those multiple times, there is no battery as the electricity is generated by the pressure exerted on the Piezo element.