Upgrade of LED without improved efficiency

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen that flashlight brands have upgraded XP-L to XHP35. For example Armytek and Zebralight. Or with Zebralight I think about that XP-L had replaced XM-L2.
But when I look at the specs there is practically no improvement in lumen-hours.
Apart from that XHP35 version of Armytek Predator has worse throw than predecessor XP-L.
So what is the reason to update the LED if the performance does not become improved? Is it the color rendition or?

Last edited:

Agpp

Enlightened
I have seen that flashlight brands have upgraded XP-L to XHP35. For example Armytek and Zebralight. Or with Zebralight I think about that XP-L had replaced XM-L2.
But when I look at the specs there is practically no improvement in lumen-hours.
Apart from that XHP35 version of Armytek Predator has worse throw than predecessor XP-L.
So what is the reason to update the LED if the performance does not become improved? Is it the color rendition or?

There is improvement in efficiency at high modes and because working voltage of battery and LED don't overlap, they can use more efficient drivers.
So runtime won't be lower at any mode and the highest non-turbo mode will actually be higher because at the same power consumption the light is actually brighter.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is improvement in efficiency at high modes and because working voltage of battery and LED don't overlap, they can use more efficient drivers.
So runtime won't be lower at any mode and the highest non-turbo mode will actually be higher because at the same power consumption the light is actually brighter.

Thanks for information! Good to know when the performance does not seem to be much better based on the technical specifications.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with your observations. I feel the same. Based on advertised specs, lumen-hour performance improves in general for the lower outputs below 400 lumen, but is no better or worse at max output. Lights with these new emitters put out noticeably more light initially before heat or a combination of heat and weak drivers reduce output.

For me, improvements in raw performance for a particular light means that compared to its predecessor at max output either the output AND throw or the corresponding regulated runtime should markedly improve while the other remains the same, or both output and throw and the corresponding regulated runtime should all markedly improve, per amp, powered by the same number and size of cell.

I'm just not seeing that.