2004 KLR 650 Model C Headlight upgrade

Passt

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody,
I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve the light output of the aforementioned bike,
it currently uses a stock H4 bulb and a couple of relays have been added to run headlight/instrument cluster.

I've had the chance to try riding in the moonlight of the countryside trough a wooded road this summer, quite romantic really,
but I'd like to have the option not to find myself in that situation again.

I've done a bit of research already, hid/led projector kits seem to be out of the question,
headlight kits like J.W Speaker while CE approved would need to go trough omologation and it's not likely they would pass
(here in Italy regulations are quite anal about headlights, anything that's not stock doesn't fly).

So I'm left with the options of ausiliary lights and a replace the bulb with something better,
I reduced my pick to either the Philips X-treme vision or the Osram Night racer 110,
I've noticed that the moto version of these differs from the auto one only by having one dark band on the bulb instead of two,
what's the purpose of it? considering they're half the price I'm wondering if I'd running the auto version would cause any issue.

I'm also looking for options in the auxiliary lights department,
I've been suggested the Denali 2.0 D2 Trioptic Led kit but I'd settle for any decent (hopefully cheaper) kit.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I've done a bit of research already, hid/led projector kits seem to be out of the question,

That's right.

headlight kits like J.W Speaker while CE approved would need to go trough omologation and it's not likely they would pass
(here in Italy regulations are quite anal about headlights, anything that's not stock doesn't fly).

"CE" is not relevant. JW Speaker and Truck-Lite offer ECE-homologated headlamps in standard round and rectangular sizes. Italy is a signatory to the relevant ECE Regulations under which these lamps are homologated, and as such Italy is not legally permitted to prevent the use of these lamps on public roads, nor can Italy have its own additional requirements about it. Whether any of these standard-size lamps will fit your bike is another question.

I reduced my pick to either the Philips X-treme vision or the Osram Night racer 110,

Use either Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram Night Breaker Unlimited.

I'm wondering if I'd running the auto version would cause any issue.

None at all.

I'm also looking for options in the auxiliary lights department,
I've been suggested the Denali 2.0 D2 Trioptic Led kit

HERE is where you would legitimately run into homologation/approval problems.

Passt

Newly Enlightened
"CE" is not relevant. JW Speaker and Truck-Lite offer ECE-homologated headlamps in standard round and rectangular sizes.

I might be wrong but I think they're not omologated for motorcycles, I'll have to look deeper into it.
If they are and I can mount one legally it seems like an efficient solution, except maybe for the whole DIY process required.

HERE is where you would legitimately run into homologation/approval problems.

They need to be omologated as foglights and can't be higher than a certain distance from the ground, and ECE approved of course.
Other than that I'm not aware of any requirements.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be wrong but I think they're not omologated for motorcycles
*homologated

This 7" round lamp has the apposite type-approval.

They need to be omologated as foglights
*homologated

Also, why do you need fog lamps? If you really want one, get a rear fog lamp, not front fog lamps. You're in much greater danger getting struck from behind than you are to run off the road in fog that requires fog lamps.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
This is a non-issue. Car/truck headlamps (type approved to R1, R8, R20, R112, R98, or R112) are permitted on motorcycles as per section 6.1.1.2 of R53 (lighting and light signalling equipment on Class L3 vehicles). The Truck-Lite and JW Speaker LED headlamps are type-approved to R112.