Upgrading Maglite 6D to 5000 lumen - question

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've just ordered a 1000 lumen upgrade from a UK torch supplier, but my heart is set on the 5000 lumen from ASFlashlights.

Having watched a bunch of your videos I was wondering...

1) what lumen output do you get if you stick with 6D Alkaline batteries?
2) does changing over to the 2 IMR26650 batteries and using spacers for the rest of the battery tube not massively affect the feel/balance/weight of the torch?

Thanks a lot!

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
Interested in the replies you get, as I have a similar project candidate!

What UK torch supplier are you referring to? I'm also UK-bassd and would interested to know.

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to add that Matt from AS Flashlights has replied to a couple of my emails and answered my questions.

1) yes replacing the 6 cells with just 2 26650s makes the torch significantly lighter with less heft, but he has suggested using NIMH instead and that's what I'm gonna do.
2) the brand he suggested "Tenergy Centura" don't seem to be available in the UK. Can any UK folk here suggest the best D-cell sized NIMH batteries for use in a flashlight? I can see various 10,000mAh ones on Amazon. I'm thinking of chancing my luck there

arKmm

Enlightened
I just wanted to add that Matt from AS Flashlights has replied to a couple of my emails and answered my questions.

1) yes replacing the 6 cells with just 2 26650s makes the torch significantly lighter with less heft, but he has suggested using NIMH instead and that's what I'm gonna do.
2) the brand he suggested "Tenergy Centura" don't seem to be available in the UK. Can any UK folk here suggest the best D-cell sized NIMH batteries for use in a flashlight? I can see various 10,000mAh ones on Amazon. I'm thinking of chancing my luck there

Apologies for the delay, best ones on sale within the UK that I've found are Vapex brand. They do a 10Ah model and also a LSD 8Ah one.

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
Hi Garnett,

I found this place: http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk

I purchased this today: http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/HIGH_power_Multimode_10_watt_Maglite_LED.html

But I am also going to order the 5000 lumen upgrade from ASFlashlights if I can get the details on how the battery spacers affect weight / balance.
Thanks
Sorry - I missed this. Thanks a lot for replying. Funnily enough my intended host light already features some components from that website! My intention was to salvage my 5 D-cell maglite from going to the scrap heap, and resurrect it as a light to keep in the car. As a result I also picked up a CapeCap Glass Breaker from the same site.

Despite the initial plan being to spend as little as possible I'm sorely tempted by that new TTS-ULT 10 Watt drop-in, and the batteries you've mentioned...