replacing 50w chip with 100w chip

fourleggedostrich

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm very new to LEDs. I have some 50W rechargeable floodlights (like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DDDTQIW/) which I use for illuminating a sports pitch. They do the job but aren't as bright as they could be. In theory, should I be able to take out the 50W LED chip and solder in a 100W LED chip? Would I need to change anything else? Is there a danger of this overloading the LiON batteries?

Any advice from someone who knows what they are doing would be greatly appreciated.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, you'll need to change the LED driver as well.
this will impact your runtime greatly..... more than 1/2 loss.
You'll need to find a driver that will be compatible with the stock battery voltage AS WELL as the new LED.... with higher voltage req by the LED, the driver will req higher current from the battery, all internal wiring must be able to handle this as well.
keep in mind that LEDs need to be cooled so adequate heat sinking may not be available in stock design.

GL!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold on Fritz, My 50 watt led burned out a few months after purchase. I soldered in a 100 watt 4k Kelvin replacement. Works fine for last few years. Under Driven, so in theory, a tad more efficiency, but same 50 watt lux. I think the driver puts out like 36 volts, if I recall, to led. Probably same voltage in a rechargeable, given to the standard 50/100 watt package, just boost, rather than ac to dc buck driver.

So, if you solder in a 100 watt, you can change the kelvin, but still will get 50 watt, unless you change the driver. According to spec sheet (and I poured over the pdf 2 years ago) the higher wattage led should be more efficient at 50 watt, than the 50 watt chip.

Normally, if you throw in a led with a lower forward voltage, it sucks more juice, and you get thermal runaway. Doubtful with the necessary driver. But I would look into the driver specs or voltage specs of each led, unless you hate the light enough to chance it. You might want to measure the current now, and before last solder of new led.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
most of the cheap china cob modules in these lights are 36v.
so yes you can swap the module.
efficiency and life go up.
and you may get a bit more light.
at recommended drive levels the lumen depreciation is steep.
dont be surprised if the underdriven 100w module is twice as bright simply because the 50w you have been using has degraded a lot in a short time.
edit.
i doubt that thing drives the leds to anywhere near 50w.
maybe it is rated to replace a 50w incan.
or as is common a big fat lie!
chinese lumens and mah.
rating/10 is more realistic.

Last edited: