Olight SR90--What Happened To These?

DeepCCoug

Newly Enlightened
Olight made the SR 90 and it was the hottest, most high-powered handheld you could get some years ago. Now they don't even mention it and you can't find any replacement parts or battery packs on the Olight web site. Does anyone know if they had some serious problems with these flashlights? Olight acts like they don't even want to admit they made them now!:confused: I have an SR 90 and need to get a battery pack rebuilt. Does anyone rebuild these or is it even worth doing?

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
The SR90 has been discontinued years ago. There are still replacement packs available since the SR95/96 uses the same pack.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think the main reason that they were discontinued is due to their huge size and the evolution of high power leds with high luminance for throw like the XHP35-HI enabling these leds to be used in much more compact flashlights that throw further than the SR90.

I still have my SR90 which I hardly used, but it will always be a piece that I look on fondly because it was the first led flashlight to start encroaching into HID territory.

Its probably worth modding it with an overdriven XHP35-HI (and different driver) as the huge reflector with this led emitter would once again turn this SR90 into one of the farthest throwing contemporary led flashlights.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes, adventurestars looks to be owned by flashaholics or visa versa(same address anyway).

If anyone decides and needs help with shipping (if adv stars does not) drop me a pm and can help out.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found one store in the UK (adventurestars) and also found one here in the Netherlands (rlsales). Can't find a store in the US right away that has it.
Try to contact Olight US, to see if they can help you out.

The proprietary battery is not available as far as my last search. Hopefully Olight produces a fresh batch soon.

druidmars

Enlightened
My 7yr old sr90 is still kicking but as mentioned above there are newer lights outperforming it. I wish someone would mod mine :d

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too, but it would probably cost more to send to the US than the fee for the mod being such a huge thing!! :D
I've read the battery pack is 2s3p 18650... meaning if disassembled it could be rebuilt with new 18650 batteries. Assuming the circuitry is sound....

Is that an option?

RCLumens

Enlightened
I think these lights are great! I've had an sr 91, 92, and 96. Have sold them off but looking specifically for an SR95 in case anyone reading this wants to let me know..

As for having a large solid light ive never had an issue with them. And although the lumens have gone way up. Think of the lux and run time figures.. shallow throw, and the max runtimes are short due to output in small mass. Cant say enough about these SRs, great lights indeed..

ven

Flashaholic
If you don't fancy opening it up yourself, maybe contact vinh . He could probably swap out the cells inside to your chosen ones. As it's not a high demanding light, the sanyo GA 10a 3500mah should work well for extra run time.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I've read the battery pack is 2s3p 18650... meaning if disassembled it could be rebuilt with new 18650 batteries. Assuming the circuitry is sound....

Is that an option?

Thanks, but I don't have an issue with the battery pack. That was someone else in the thread. I was just talking about hypothetically sending my SR90 to Vinh in the US (from here in the UK) to upgrade the emitter and driver. Due to the size of the SR90, the shipping cost would be very expensive. :)

ven

Flashaholic
There is something about the SR90 i like, maybe a size thing and not crazy in output(well todays standards anyway). I keep an eye on evilbay for any used cropping up, but dont see much or have not over the last year or two.

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
I still have my SR90 with its original battery, I think I must have had one of the first ones in Australia.(if not the first)
Now lives in my 4x4 when off road. I still use it for spotlighting when shooting, looking for suitable campsites in the dark when off road, also the occasional search search for lost navigation trainees at night and a beacon for night games with youngsters (storm the lantern).
How old is it now - must be 7'ish or so years and the battery still holds charge Ok. Runtime on high power is still great (I seldom have it drop below 1/2 charge on any given trip/task).

druidmars

Enlightened
I still have my SR90 with its original battery, I think I must have had one of the first ones in Australia.(if not the first)
Now lives in my 4x4 when off road. I still use it for spotlighting when shooting, looking for suitable campsites in the dark when off road, also the occasional search search for lost navigation trainees at night and a beacon for night games with youngsters (storm the lantern).
How old is it now - must be 7'ish or so years and the battery still holds charge Ok. Runtime on high power is still great (I seldom have it drop below 1/2 charge on any given trip/task).

I agree with what you said. It's standing the test of time as one of my oldest flashlights nowadays, being robust and built like a tank. And that makes me happy because it was the most expensive light I bought to this day.

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, but I don't have an issue with the battery pack. That was someone else in the thread. I was just talking about hypothetically sending my SR90 to Vinh in the US (from here in the UK) to upgrade the emitter and driver. Due to the size of the SR90, the shipping cost would be very expensive. :)
Do you know if there are flat top or button top cells inside?
My battery is almost dead and I will be buying a kWeld welding machine for making a brand new 2s3p pack inside.

Do you know if there are flat top or button top cells inside?
My battery is almost dead and I will be buying a kWeld welding machine for making a brand new 2s3p pack inside.
Typically packs like that would use OEM cells with no buttons because it would be a waste of space and make assembly more difficult. If you are going to be welding together a pack you're best off getting plain OEM cells. You might need to pick up some fish/barley paper spacers for isolation.

It's funny that this thread is back, I was recently comparing my Acebeam T27 to my friend's SR90 and it outperforms in both lumens and candela while being much smaller and with one cell.