Problem with LiteFlux LF5 XT -- fixes? substitutions?

stangri

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've been using my LF5 XT for at least 7 years and lately it became inconsistent to a point where it recently wouldn't turn on. I've taken it apart and turns out that the part which used to be brass colour turned deep black and I guess no longer conducts electricity. I don't know what that part is called, it's the part which encapsulates the AA battery (piston?). Picture is clickable and is taken with the tailcap removed.

I'm hoping that the better minds can guide me on how to fix that -- is that part user-removable and compatible with the same part from a different brand?

I'm the type of person who doesn't like to throw away working/fixable gear, so I'd very much like to fix it, but if it can't be fixed, can anyone please suggest a decent AA-powered small LED light which can stand on tailcap?

Thanks!

hakyru

Newly Enlightened
You just have to clean that oxidized part
You need to use a small brush with brass wires and then when you remove all the black you need to apply a spray for electrical contacts.
I'm sure this will just make work fine your liteflux

stangri

Newly Enlightened
You just have to clean that oxidized part
You need to use a small brush with brass wires and then when you remove all the black you need to apply a spray for electrical contacts.
I'm sure this will just make work fine your liteflux
Thank you for your prompt reply. Sadly that part is black all the way thru/around. Even if I clean it where it's recessed not too deep (tailcap side) I can't clean it from the inside where the spring for the battery negative contact is.
Is that part (what is it called btw) usually removable? Is there a special 4-prong tool or just small needle pliers used to unscrew it? Is it soldered in?

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would try and get tarn x or some solution that would require minimal rubbing with cotton swab to clean off the tarnish. Since there are no moving parts other than the spring inside, I would even submerge in the solution and clean with swab and cloth. As hakyru pointed out, only contact points need to be cleaned.

To answer your question regarding the spring, you should be able to pull it straight out with a tweezer. One I had didn't have the spring soldered.

Last edited: