Full weight battery spacers

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can get full weight battery spacers; D cell size?

I want to power my 6D maglite with 2x26650s but I want it to retain it's weight / balance.

This is probably a really stupid question, but would drained D-Cells work?

Thanks

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is probably a really stupid question, but would drained D-Cells work?

I don't think that this is a good idea. The batteries will have a higher change of leaking this way.

I would recommend a spacer out of aluminium. I just calculated the density of a D-cell to about 2,7 g/cm^3 thats about the same as aluminium.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the aluminum is a great idea. A 1-1/4" bar should be the right diameter, just cut to length, bore a hole in each end for the 26650's, and you're done!

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrap them in an insulated layer don't trust anodizing to isolate. Or put it last in series

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for these replies guys!

I love how on this forum people talk about boring out aluminium as if that's a normal thing anyone can do lol! Love it!

Unfortunately that ain't me! But I will investigate for sure. I'm surprised full weight spacers aren't already a thing. I can't be the only one that likes a weighty flashlight?

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
the BatteryStation has the wrap, just need to have someone make you the spacers on a lathe, then PVC shrinkwrap them.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to have someone make an all aluminum spacer shaped like a D cell, then you place the correct size pvc wrap on it, and heat it up with a hair dryer, and it will wrap the sides of the spacer so it can be used in any location of a multicell configuration.
Shown below is a bare spacer, unused wrap, and a wrapped spacer.

7cb5a81aa55765805e5c9240cd27f6ff.jpg

BVH

Flashaholic
I measured a Duracell D to be 1.300" in diameter. I just happen to have some 1.300" AL bar stock laying around and am always looking for something useful to make on my lathe. I'd have to shave down a bit of material so that my shrink wrap once applied, would not yield a diameter larger than 1.300" nor a length over the existing "D" cell length. I'd make them, including the shrink wrap for you for $4.00 each plus shipping if you're interested.

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
I measured a Duracell D to be 1.300" in diameter. I just happen to have some 1.300" AL bar stock laying around and am always looking for something useful to make on my lathe. I'd have to shave down a bit of material so that my shrink wrap once applied, would not yield a diameter larger than 1.300" nor a length over the existing "D" cell length. I'd make them, including the shrink wrap for you for $4.00 each plus shipping if you're interested.

Hey thank you so much. I am interested!

My plan is to power a 6D maglite with 2x26650s - So I am thinking i would need 4 spacers?

In fact... If I did some simple sums I could possibly just have one large spacer made, rather than 3 or 4 D Cells blanks? Would that work for you?

Thanks!

BVH

Flashaholic
However you'd like to accomplish the task, I can accommodate it. As you say, provide me the overall length of the single spacer and I'll get it made. One spacer will eliminate a bunch of "contact" points of individual spacers so there will be less resistance in the circuit. I have 2-D Mags on my shelf so will use one for the proper O.D. Provide the O.D. of your rear tailcap spring where it contacts the battery so I can turn a small depression in the end of the spacer to keep the spring centered. I'll turn the front "button" the same length and O.D. as a Duracell "D" unless you want it different for some reason.

Last edited:

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
Hi BVH

I have sourced the length of a D-Cell to be 61.5mm
So 6 D-Cells = 369mm

The length of a keeppower 5200mAh 26650 is 69.1mm
So 2 26650s = 138.2mm

369 - 138.2 = 231mm

THUS: The overall length of the spacer should be 231mm
(would appreciate some sense checking here)

The diameter of the spring is 20mm

Any small variances will be accommodated easily by the give in the spring.

Also.... If you have enough material could you please make me 2, as I plan to get another 6D soon to keep in the car, pimped out with the ASFlashights 5000 lumen drop in.

Thanks so much.

BVH

Flashaholic
Edited. This post was originally to vent my disappointment regarding the transaction in this thread. It no longer applies Thank you Micklumen!

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
It appears he hasn't logged on since 9/21. Do you have another way to contact him? He could be in the hospital or any number of things - he may not be intentionally ignoring you. Hope for resolution for everyone here though.