Thrunite Ti3

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Of the many lights I have owned and still have, my absolute favourite that I use most often is the Thrunite Ti3, I only have one negative thing to say about it, and it's a minor quibble, but the lanyard hole is teeny tiny. Apart from that a wonderful light.

Just wondering what modifications, tweaks, additions people have done to it?

I've purchased a glow in the dark diffuser which turns it into a great lantern, and I did brave sticking a 10440 into it briefly but that's about it.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Titanium version of it and used it for quite some time as my EDC-flashlight in my pocket. I like the size and the UI.

I have the same negative point as you regarding the lanyard hole. I thought about using it as keychain flashlight but I kind of don't trust it to hold very long. So I swap the emitter with a red XP-E and I'm using it now your nightly map reading ;-).

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the many lights I have owned and still have, my absolute favourite that I use most often is the Thrunite Ti3, I only have one negative thing to say about it, and it's a minor quibble, but the lanyard hole is teeny tiny. Apart from that a wonderful light.

Just wondering what modifications, tweaks, additions people have done to it?

I've purchased a glow in the dark diffuser which turns it into a great lantern, and I did brave sticking a 10440 into it briefly but that's about it.

Got link to the diffuser?

I have the stainless steel version of the Ti3. It is my EDC since the day I purchased it, never failed me once. I just put the small key-ring loop in the lanyard hole and the possibilities are greatly expanded. Now it has some paracord which makes a great wrist lanyard. It still looks great and the stainless has perfect heft to it that you know just its there.

IF.. (and that is a big IF) I modified it...it would maybe be to a nichia 219 swap....but the cost/risk of the swap makes it prohibitive. The NW tint it has really is one of my favorite lights of all my collection. I can't really say I would change anything else about it.

Last edited:

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Got link to the diffuser?

I have the stainless steel version of the Ti3. It is my EDC since the day I purchased it, never failed me once. I just put the small key-ring loop in the lanyard hole and the possibilities are greatly expanded. Now it has some paracord so I can neck wear it if I want. It still looks great and the stainless has perfect heft to it that you know just its there.

IF.. (and that is a big IF) I modified it...it would maybe be to a nichia 219 swap....but the cost/risk of the swap makes it prohibitive. The NW tint it has really is one of my favorite lights of all my collection. I can't really say I would change anything else about it.
. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GITD-Gr...tc in your pocket, that's the only down side.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I searched for a while to find "the best" AAA mini light, and while it isn't "the best" at anything, the Ti3 is such a great balance of compromises that I settled with it.
I use mine as a neck light, as a small necklace that I wear pretty much all of the time.

I started with a lashing to hold a cord in place but switched over to a different system which isn't as safe (with the lashing there is no danger of strangulation because the smooth ends of the cord will pull free with sufficient force), but I found that using a short cord with a slip knot tied on each end is very practical for making the light into a necklace.
The small eye hole isn't used at all.
I put a half inch of heat shrink tube on the end to make the light bite friendly, but that wears out and I ended up grinding anodized aluminum with my teeth, which is no good.
A friend whom I'd given one of these Ti3 neck lights to discovered an improvement, which is to heat a small section of clear poly tubing and stretch it over the end, much more durable for holding the light in one's teeth.

The Ti3 is light enough and small enough in diameter to make it easy to hold with my teeth for the duration of a task, and easy enough to talk at the same time, kinda sound like a cigar chomping gangster but anyway it's intelligible speech.

The two slip knots allow the cord ends to come off of the light to the left and the right, so the necklace tends to remain straight rather than twisting, as will happen if the ends come off the light from the same side.

My favorite thin about this simple system though is that by taking the necklace off and tying a third slip knot in the middle and giving it a generous slipping loop, I can put it back onto my head like a headband with the Ti3 pointing down on my forehead, cinch it up right and it makes a very light weight headlamp, angled perfectly for reading, or other work position tasks at arms length and waist to chest high, or for walking.
I can position the light higher on my head for something closer to a horizontal view but holding the light with my teeth is much more practical for that.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if you want to use that system, of two slip knots holding the light as a necklace, but want to make it much safer, assemble it and then cut the nylon cord near the middle, then melt the ends and join them, they'll break at the join if the cord is pulled firmly.
Test it a number of times til you have a good idea of how strong/weak the melted joint is.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Also, if you want to use that system, of two slip knots holding the light as a necklace, but want to make it much safer, assemble it and then cut the nylon cord near the middle, then melt the ends and join them, they'll break at the join if the cord is pulled firmly.
Test it a number of times til you have a good idea of how strong/weak the melted joint is.
Are you Macgyver? Haha. Sounds like a great set up.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol, thanks.
I like it and it works, I hope it's handy for someone.