Coleman Northern Star dual fuel

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need your help. Why should NOT I buy this lantern?

Those memories from childhood, kerosene lantern my grandma had, that smell... I am ready to make a stupid (or not) purchase.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
German quality since 1910: Petromax HK500 400W kerosene lantern

2c061b34d2de68613ced618df6e4c647.jpg

Funny fact: not long ago original Petromax mantles produced 50% more light, but... were radioactive :)

Last edited:

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
I need your help. Why should NOT I buy this lantern?

Those memories from childhood, kerosene lantern my grandma had, that smell... I am ready to make a stupid (or not) purchase.

It sure looks bright but in reviews a LOT of people complained about the insta-clip mantles being difficult to attach, don't burn in right and very expensive compared to regular, open-at-one-end mantles.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sure looks bright but in reviews a LOT of people complained about the insta-clip mantles being difficult to attach, don't burn in right and very expensive compared to regular, open-at-one-end mantles.

I have noticed that, thank you. German lantern mantles several times cheaper.

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
I have one and use it often. Used it for several camp seasons. It is bright as heck - great for car camping. Never found the mantle installation to be a problem - install out of the wind. If you use regular auto gas make sure you keep an extra generator in your gear. Can clog with use. White gas seems to clog less. If you are a handy person the Northstar lantern can work for you. Aloha.

broadgage

Enlightened
I am not very keen on any pressure lantern that uses volatile fuel such as petrol/gasoline, and would only use such a lantern outdoors.

I consider kerosene (called paraffin in the UK and some other countries) to be much safer, this is also the correct fuel for wick type lamps, thereby only needing one type of fuel for both pressure and wick lamps.
In the UK the most well known kerosene pressure lamp is the Tilley lamp, I have several of these. Other brands exist.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience with 30+ year old fuel lanterns: Propane easiest to use/light but not all that bright or effienceint compared to the others. Gasoline/Coleman fuel harder to use (need to pour fuel, pump tank etc.) but brighter and more efficient. Kerosene brightest and most efficient but a PIA to light - you need to pre heat with alcohol before it will run on straight kero also needs to be pumped like a gas lantern.

Personally for most practical purposes, I think the current crop of D cell LEDs got them beat for ease of use and safety, and are probably near as bright with very good efficiency. No worries about catching fire/getting hot or storing/transporting and handling fuel, no mantles to change and no glass to break.

AngryDaddyBird

Newly Enlightened
I have a few Coleman Lanterns and the north star is great I had no issues with the mantles. That petromax is great but I'd go with Britelyt myself. I like the older lanterns like the Coleman 237, 236, 242, 200a and 228e. My go to lantern is a237 kerosene lantern.
Mid like to get a Tilley one day but hard to get in the states. I do have a few Vapalux M320 kerosene lanterns and love them!

AngryDaddyBird

Newly Enlightened
I am not very keen on any pressure lantern that uses volatile fuel such as petrol/gasoline, and would only use such a lantern outdoors.

I consider kerosene (called paraffin in the UK and some other countries) to be much safer, this is also the correct fuel for wick type lamps, thereby only needing one type of fuel for both pressure and wick lamps.
In the UK the most well known kerosene pressure lamp is the Tilley lamp, I have several of these. Other brands exist.
I'd love to own a Tilley!