To sell or not to sell?

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, a couple of years ago I did a huge sale and sold about 2/3rds of my lights. It was hard, but lights were just sitting there and most never used, accept for every now and then I would pull them out to look at them, but I really don't have anyone to share them with. We enjoy all (or most of) of our lights and they are fun to have, but after 2 or 3 years they are almost antiquated as fast as technology and Vinh are going, and you get very little money (usually) when you sell it compared to when you bought it. I know the CPF way is to buy everything you want and keep everything you buy, but for the most of us that really isn't possible. So, what is your preferance?

Do you sell older lights so you have more money to buy more lights?
Or, do you keep all of your lights and buy less new ones?

:popcorn::poke::popcorn::poke::popcorn:

P.S. If this thread has already been done please forgive me. I did search 5 pages of threads and didn't see it.

Last edited:

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sell often. It depends on the light though, I tend to hold on to irreplaceable lights like a Nitecore D10 but would sell a Haiku because I know I can always rebuy if I regret selling.

With Vinh lights it's a little different and I can't speak for those as I don't own any.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every time a discussion comes up about buying lights, I write that I'm at a point where my buying is slowing down. Then of course, I buy 3 new lights.
Well actually, I have 3 lights on their way to me now and I received 2 others recently.
I really should drop out of this discussion. LOL

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sell often. It depends on the light though, I tend to hold on to irreplaceable lights like a Nitecore D10 but would sell a Haiku because I know I can always rebuy if I regret selling.

With Vinh lights it's a little different and I can't speak for those as I don't own any.
I haven't thought of that. Good point, thanks.

Every time a discussion comes up about buying lights, I write that I'm at a point where my buying is slowing down. Then of course, I buy 3 new lights.
Well actually, I have 3 lights on their way to me now and I received 2 others recently.
I really should drop out of this discussion. LOL
Lol. Will power is so hard, especially with such amazing lights out!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any light that I am interested in, I buy first and ask questions later. I have never sold any of the lights that I have purchased; I have all of them. None of my friends nor family are interested in high performance led flashlights, so I have not given any away, yet. I am thinking that if the time ever comes to give some away, to make room in secure storage for newer lights, I would give them to Vinh, so he could pass them along to those in need. Nice, but not very soon, because I recently invested in additional secure storage space. Also, my older lights bring back more older fond memories when I was a screaming newb.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My philosophy: make planned, studied purchases. Keep them all. I hope someday my current lights will have the same classic appeal as vintage Surefires.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've sold a few of mine that get no use. I have a TN32utvn that I never get to use anymore I'd love to sell. I miss a few that I've sold but selling opens up the door for newer stuff for me.

ven

Flashaholic
I think a lot depends on the person in question, is it just a tool or is it for collecting(or both). As with other hobby's/interests, there are a lot of variables including budgets and actual uses. For me they are tools, interesting and very useful tools. I like to have options, not rely on one or two and have different forms,LED's,UI's and applications. Ones that dont get used for a while or maybe even superseded i may sell as they wont get used.

Some are personal/sentimental to me and will keep for ever! To try and keep things under control, a new light has to bring something new to the party, be it more kcd, higher output, nicer beam etc etc. I dont want 25 lights that all have the same beam /colour temp, i want to break things up and keep things interesting(for me anyway).

A way of self funding is to have a few lights as "floaters" so to speak, use then swap/sell for newer lights. This way your not buying new all the time and the previous lights just get stored away. Their value is greater(not always ,but generally) when newer. So with most well known manufacturers, it can make more sense to sell earlier than further down the line. If the light is used daily, everything "just works", then it would obv make sense to keep hold of. With that much choice out there, UI and LED options etc etc, it does not make sense to keep hold of a light that falls short on any of your personal criteria/expectations.

My interest has certainly not waned, its as strong as ever:) I just feel i have it covered, so adding more and more lights for no specific reason is not an issue..................i just keep thinking of reasons:whistle:

kj2

Flashaholic
I try to sell most of my lights, that aren't been used. But the market is small, so not every light is worth to be offered.
Am trying to get the collection smaller, simply because I've to many and are using only a small part of the collection.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably keep more than I should. It would be smart if I were to sell the ones that don't get much use. But, I typically give them away, depending on the light. If it is a "dangerous" hot rod, I will usually keep it. I say "Dangerous", I mean one that requires common sense to use. A direct drive type of light that runs non protected cells, I am not likely gonna give it to a non-flashaholic. Does that post make sense? lol

I can say this, I will probably never get rid of my HC90vn. I use that just about every night. I stared using it to walk he dog. I will also probably not part with my two D25Cvn lights. Those are my most used vn lights.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much run time do you get on the HC90vn? I hunt and a lot of my stands are WAY off the beaten path. I want something to get me there hands free and have that Vinh factor. : )

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
My philosophy: make planned, studied purchases.
Agreed, but technology is moving so fast you never know whats around the corner. Especially with Vinh!

I miss a few that I've sold but selling opens up the door for newer stuff for me.
Agreed.

I think a lot depends on the person in question, is it just a tool or is it for collecting(or both). As with other hobby's/interests, there are a lot of variables including budgets and actual uses. For me they are tools, interesting and very useful tools. I like to have options, not rely on one or two and have different forms,LED's,UI's and applications. Ones that dont get used for a while or maybe even superseded i may sell as they wont get used. Agreed.

Some are personal/sentimental to me and will keep for ever! To try and keep things under control, a new light has to bring something new to the party, be it more kcd, higher output, nicer beam etc etc. I dont want 25 lights that all have the same beam /colour temp, i want to break things up and keep things interesting(for me anyway). Agreed, and I'm trying to do this, but, as others have said, some lights are just too hard to get rid of even though you have a replacement for it.

A way of self funding is to have a few lights as "floaters" so to speak, use then swap/sell for newer lights. This way your not buying new all the time and the previous lights just get stored away. Their value is greater(not always ,but generally) when newer. That's an interesting thought, to sell them earlier for more money rather then later, but I have found it very hard to get rid of newer lights unless I just don't like them.

So with most well known manufacturers, it can make more sense to sell earlier than further down the line. If the light is used daily, everything "just works", then it would obv make sense to keep hold of. With that much choice out there, UI and LED options etc etc, it does not make sense to keep hold of a light that falls short on any of your personal criteria/expectations. True

My interest has certainly not waned, its as strong as ever:) I just feel i have it covered, so adding more and more lights for no specific reason is not an issue..................i just keep thinking of reasons:whistle: Even more true haha.

I try to sell most of my lights, that aren't been used. But the market is small, so not every light is worth to be offered.
Am trying to get the collection smaller, simply because I've to many and are using only a small part of the collection.
Yup, that's right where I am. I've decided though that I don't want to be a "collector" anymore, but rather an "enthusiast."

I probably keep more than I should. It would be smart if I were to sell the ones that don't get much use. But, I typically give them away, depending on the light. If it is a "dangerous" hot rod, I will usually keep it. I say "Dangerous", I mean one that requires common sense to use. A direct drive type of light that runs non protected cells, I am not likely gonna give it to a non-flashaholic. Does that post make sense? lol Yup. Smart.

I can say this, I will probably never get rid of my HC90vn. I use that just about every night. I stared using it to walk he dog. I will also probably not part with my two D25Cvn lights. Those are my most used vn lights. Use mine everyday for work!
Thank you all for your input!