I'm more impressed with throwers, spotlights.

Billy Light

Newly Enlightened
My Imalent DT70 arrived today and its a great flood light and all but i'm sorry,, i am more impressed with my AceBeam k70 spotlight.. These are the only two flashlights i own...
They are both great lights thou but i think the K70 is more impressive.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
You own two very impressive flashlights. If anyone could own just two, a thrower & a flooder, they would be hard pressed to find two better lights.
I agree that a thrower is initially more dazzling, but you will find many uses where a flooder is the better tool.
For instance, I'm in Florida where hurricane Irma just visited. Trust me, the appropriate light was a flooder, both indoors and out.

Billy Light

Newly Enlightened
You own two very impressive flashlights. If anyone could own just two, a thrower & a flooder, they would be hard pressed to find two better lights.
I agree that a thrower is initially more dazzling, but you will find many uses where a flooder is the better tool.
For instance, I'm in Florida where hurricane Irma just visited. Trust me, the appropriate light was a flooder, both indoors and out.
Yea your right.... Comparing a Floodlight and a spotlight is like comparing a fish and a bird lol.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is very nice to have a thrower and a flooder..... and an all arounder that is moderately throwy and moderately floody.

And all three of the above, in small, medium and large size. That's nine flashlights. :)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that a dedicated thrower is impressive, but only if your goal is to impress. In practice, extreme range is marginally useful at best.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the best light is a thrower with a super huge hot spot, with most of the lumens there, and just enough spill to keep you from tripping.
That, and a pencil beam super thrower, plus a mega flooder, and an all rounder, not to mention one with optics....... ;)

MX421

Enlightened
On the other hand, you can always use a diffuser on a thrower to make it more floody. You can't make a floody light throw more... If you only had one, I'd go with the thrower. Fortunatley, i have more than one though... :)

In a situation where oyou are checking out objects from a safe position, a thrower would be more useful i would think. I went throught ?Harvey and the thrower was good for spotting the water coming up in the yard/street.

mickb

Enlightened
I find amongst industrial users the spots always get more 'wows' than the floods. I like a moderate thrower as even on low settings the light still has so much punch.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, a torch that lights up everything out to 1,000' is far more impressive than one that throws a pencil beam a 1/2 mile.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, a torch that lights up everything out to 1,000' is far more impressive than one that throws a pencil beam a 1/2 mile.

Agreed. What does one really do with a pencil beam, besides play? I suppose there is a legitimate need in search & rescue. Border patrol? Maritime?

Anything else?

Capolini

Banned
Throwers are definitely my favorite. However,Enter the TK75vn KT and you have the best of both worlds!,,,a hybrid b/w the Two.

3500 Lumens and 340Kcd[1166m/1275yds.]:thumbsup:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. What does one really do with a pencil beam, besides play? I suppose there is a legitimate need in search & rescue. Border patrol? Maritime?

Anything else?

And even within those specialized applications, the limited peripheral awareness [of the pencil beam] is not a desirable trait.

Taz80

Enlightened
Depending on what you are using your light for, pencil beams can be a very desirable trait. Navigating in poor weather conditions, such as fog, rain or snow. Or trying to see into narrow openings with out being blinded by back scatter. I use both throw and flood for work.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on what you are using your light for, pencil beams can be a very desirable trait. Navigating in poor weather conditions, such as fog, rain or snow. Or trying to see into narrow openings with out being blinded by back scatter. I use both throw and flood for work.

Without denying that pencil beams have their niche uses, I wonder if color temperature isn't the primary consideration here.

LGT

Enlightened
I agree that a dedicated thrower is impressive, but only if your goal is to impress. In practice, extreme range is marginally useful at best.
My dedicated thrower is used for specific necessary applications related to my work. What my work is is irrelevant. I'm sure many others here have a specific needed use for a thrower. To simply assume that any who own a thrower is just to impress is a tad narrow minded.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dedicated thrower is used for specific necessary applications related to my work. What my work is is irrelevant. I'm sure many others here have a specific needed use for a thrower. To simply assume that any who own a thrower is just to impress is a tad narrow minded.

No offense intended, friend. I'm glad you've got the light(s) you need.

mickb

Enlightened

Anything else?

yes often combined with powerful optics(scope sights, binoculars). Long range hunting at night, identifying markings, registration plates on vessels parked vehicles at longer range, checking defined features like distant fencelines for pests. (I don't use pencil type beams by the way I prefer a thrower with decent spill)

Have heard the powerful aspherics are favored here for hunting as well.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
On the other hand, you can always use a diffuser on a thrower to make it more floody. You can't make a floody light throw more... If you only had one, I'd go with the thrower. Fortunatley, i have more than one though... :)

In a situation where oyou are checking out objects from a safe position, a thrower would be more useful i would think. I went throught ?Harvey and the thrower was good for spotting the water coming up in the yard/street.

Exactly what I was thinking. In most uses that I use, I need a thrower, every day I have a 4k lumen option and a 500, 000 candela option, and I go for the thrower. I need to see glass on a well lit floor, I need the shadow a thrower casts. If I need to check out for something by bouncing the light off a wall (indirect line of sight) I need a thrower, if I want to light up the inside of a truck from 20 meters away, thrower. Lighting a path to walk around in the dark, thrower so that the extra light doesn't bother anyone. I rarely ever use my flooder so idk, it depends who you are and I despise those who under value throw plus as this quote said, "a thrower can be diffused, a flooder cannot be focused." it's true, in a ceiling bounce both lights do about the same thing, but the only advantage of a flooder is more luminous efficiency, since a shirt or paper will dull the lumens of a spotlight, yet a flooder is already going o be higher lumens for the same size or even smaller light.

If a new thrower comes out with twice the performance of my thrower, and a new flooder twice mine's performance, I will get the thrower first.

I only like in-betweens as focusable lights, and the thing is large hotspots can't through over 250 real life meters because of light distraction.