Need a new single 18650 light

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
So, it's been a while, but I've always wanted a cool sized and looking light, and the single 18650 is the perfect size for me, while the Fenix PD35TAC is the look I'm going for. Features I'd like are:

• Decent combo of throw and flood
  • Ability to tail stand (even if only on two legs)
  • Odd aesthetic need, but ties into tail stand ability, is a balance from bezel to button. I like each end to be close to the same circumference
  • White light, preferable to blue
  • Strike bezel (really just aesthetic for my purpose: Camping and blackouts etc)
  • Under $100
  • Good runtime at about 250 lumens (perhaps 6 hours, though I'll take 4-5)
  • Obviously, good temp and voltage regulation

My biggest problem is the light rendition of the latest LEDs. I don't know who makes what, and I'd like something that is whiter rather than blue. Cool white is fine, like 5000k I suppose.

My list only contains the Fenix PD35TAC and the Nitecore MH12GT (Edit: P12GT most likely) so far. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
I'll second the SC63 recommendation (I prefer the SC63w myself, 4500K, but I like my SC63 also)--the bezel is pretty close to the same diameter as the tail, but it isn't exactly circular, and not exactly the same size.

If you want identical diameter front-to-back, a Convoy S2, S2+, and probably some hosts in that class will do the trick. There are many already-built versions out there, as well as just buying and building a light with parts from somewhere like mtn electronics.

At the other end of the cost scale, more than double your budget, are HDS lights, probably the most efficient at 250 lumens of any you'll find (for example, the 325 lumen versions will stay ~200 lumens for 6 hours or more with a 3400 mAh 18650). Same diameter tip and tail. If you want to justify the cost to yourself--you'll never need to buy another light in this class for the rest of your life.

Best of luck!

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, we're missing the strike bezel, and the color (5700k for the one I saw) is definitely not really where I want to be, but those are both solid.

I also love the suggestion on doubling the budget, I think we all know it's bound to happen anyway. I checked out the HDS...puts me in the same USA-made class as Surefire I suppose. If my life depended on it, and I could only have one flashlight (LEOs and military), there's no question that one of these would be it!

Johnnyh

Enlightened
You might also consider a Convoy S2 modded by Randy at Pflex Pro. I have one with a high CRI Nichia at 4500k. A perfect (to me) white light with great color rendition. Fully potted electronics and 22 modes available. He's got some listed on eBay and has a web site as well. These are uniformly cylindrical front to back.
But dang, no strike bezel!

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Both the Convoy and the Zebra seem to tick most of the boxes. I wish the Fenix or Nitecore just had a neutral emitter in there. One thing about the Convoy S2+, does the Nichia emitter really cost that much more than the Cree? Gosh, it's $30 more at Amazon.

Edit: Ok, it was just an Amazon thing. I found the Convoy S3 with a 4300-4500 color range for $17. I'll order two of those, even though it's missing a few features, I'll stick end up buying either the Nitecore or Fenix I guess, if I can find them with a bin that's white or neutral light. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the S3 over the S2?

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
MTN electronics has many versions of the s2+, including warm and neutral xm l2, all less than $20.

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
MTN electronics has many versions of the s2+, including warm and neutral xm l2, all less than $20.

Nice! Indeed he does. Thanks!

BTW, I can still use recommendations for the original inquiry. I'm just adding these inexpensive units to the collection because you guys are enablers. :)

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Sledge! I did notice that model, but a few things concerned me. First, that dual tail button. Man, I can see myself fumbling with that every time, though it's not a deal breaker. The second, is that group E4 seems to be cool or cold white (5k or 5.7k) according to the spec sheet. 5k might not be too bad. That tail button though....grrr...

Nice light though, very aesthetically pleasing to me.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the S3 over the S2?

Others will know better than me but I think the S2 has a deeper reflector than S3 for tighter hotspot/more throw. (?) I don't have an S3 but do have an S2 and S2+ and the S2+ is floodier (is that a word?) than the S2 by a good margin.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumintop prince. Dont have a strike bezel, but really good looking with carbon fiber and copper combo.

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Others will know better than me but I think the S2 has a deeper reflector than S3 for tighter hotspot/more throw. (?) I don't have an S3 but do have an S2 and S2+ and the S2+ is floodier (is that a word?) than the S2 by a good margin.
Thanks. I ordered a pair of the S2+, as they seem to be a good general purpose light that accept protected cells (family lights).

Lumintop prince. Dont have a strike bezel, but really good looking with carbon fiber and copper combo.
Wow, that's a fancy one. Probably matches my ZT0562CF pretty well. :)

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
So, here's where I ended up. I ordered a pair of Convoy S2+ 6x7135 from Mtn Elec, then 1 Convoy S2+ in 4x7135 and another in 3x7135 and a BLF A6 from Banggoods (fingers crossed). Then I ordered a pair of Zanflare F1s from Gearbest (fingers crossed again).

So far, only the pair Convoys in 6x7135s arrived from Mtn, one was DOA (swapped tailpiece with working unit and that fixed it, so tailpiece/button is defective). The other, though I knew they ran hot, runs really hot. I measured 130F on the head and mid body at full bore. I definitely don't want this going on a camping trip with me, good chance of melting the tent. Interesting light though.

The Zanflare is my most eagerly anticipated unit. The 290lm at 6hrs could be great.

In the end, I'll probably forego the strike bezel, I'm over it... :)

PartyPete

Enlightened
Wowtac (Atactical) A1S BSS model has a wicked strike bezel that screws in, allowing it to be detached if needed. It's on Amazon for $40. Not the greatest light; lacks moonlight and other desirable features but it comes with the removable strike bezel, red filter, and proprietary usb battery so it's still a solid value, IMO.

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Cool, thanks Pete! I was also looking at ThruNite who I believe is related.