26650 Wide beam on a Budget?

Ruso

Newly Enlightened
What are the options for a decent wide beam (flooder) with single Li-ion 26680 on a tight budget. If it is compatible with 18650 even better but not mandatory at all.
Main use as camp/car/lights out type of a flashlight. I prefer simple designs and especially the ones where you do not need to press the button 10 times to get to the right setting - multiple buttons is good.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello Ruso, and welcome to CPF

Threads like this, asking for advice on choosing a flashlight with a set of specific and listed criteria, are usually started in (or moved to) the "Recommend" subforum ... and that may well be where this eventually ends up ;)

In the meantime, naming your budget is fairly helpful info, as torches from $2 to $2000+ are rather commonly discussed around here

Ruso

Newly Enlightened
Hello Ruso, and welcome to CPF

Threads like this, asking for advice on choosing a flashlight with a set of specific and listed criteria, are usually started in (or moved to) the "Recommend" subforum ... and that may well be where this eventually ends up ;)

In the meantime, naming your budget is fairly helpful info, as torches from $2 to $2000+ are rather commonly discussed around here

My budget is under $50. Less is better. It will be a light use flashlight, so no need for over-build or "tactical" ones.

Ruso

Newly Enlightened
Convoy BD06 at banggood? Pick your color temperature.

Interesting option, well priced.
It's hard to find any information on the beam pattern though. From the few images I've seen appears to be too focused for my liking.
It also has stroke/SOS options, that are kinda useless in my opinion. Good thing that it can be reconfigured to eliminate them from the rotation.
USB charging is a good plus though

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look to one of the 26650's mt-g2 lights. Such a large emitter allows for a wider less spotty beam. For instance the Fenix PD40. Its intensity is "only" 10,000cd, which is pretty low given its overall output.

The new SF "maxvision" in C nitrolon, get an aftermarket body if you must have 26650. Or if you want pure flood with no spot intensity, there's probably custom mule/multi emitter jobs that might appeal.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Perhaps obvious, but don't forget that there are any number of techniques for creating a diffused beam. Some flashlights can also be converted to a mule fairly easily (by removing optics, reflectors, etc)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps obvious, but don't forget that there are any number of techniques for creating a diffused beam. Some flashlights can also be converted to a mule fairly easily (by removing optics, reflectors, etc)

This is what I was thinking; steel wool or something super fine grit and work on the reflector for a more diffuse beam (but I'm no expert)

Getting up to the $70-$100 range gives more choices, but Convoy is usually a solid value.

Ruso

Newly Enlightened
Look to one of the 26650's mt-g2 lights. Such a large emitter allows for a wider less spotty beam. For instance the Fenix PD40. Its intensity is "only" 10,000cd, which is pretty low given its overall output.

The new SF "maxvision" in C nitrolon, get an aftermarket body if you must have 26650. Or if you want pure flood with no spot intensity, there's probably custom mule/multi emitter jobs that might appeal.

Fenix PD40 and "Maxvision" are way out of my budget. Mt-g2 is an option, gotta make some more research.

I would really prefer not to fiddle with the flashlight, buy it, use it, sore it, use it again.

Ruso

Newly Enlightened

Getting up to the $70-$100 range gives more choices, but Convoy is usually a solid value.

Judging by YouTube videos I want something similar to Klarus G20, but cheaper. However this seems to be around your ballpark :).

It hard to justify ~$100 for such a toy. I do not need 3000 lumens, nor double button, nor SOS or Stroke mode. 1 to 3 modes is ideal with 500-1000 lumens. I am not an expert in flashlight but it appears to be it is all about lumens game, reminds me of megapixels game in cameras back in a days. :-/

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Klarus looks like the side switch will unintentionally activate too easily.

A flood beam beam needs a lot of lumens if your range extends much beyond, say 35 meters or less, depending on what you are looking at. My quad emitter single 26650 can do 3000 lumens but not for very long. 1000 lumens does the job OK.

You used the word 'toy' so now I'm thinking you may not have a specific need.

User interface becomes important with sustained, regular use.

Have you seen the Nitecore EC4 variants? It is a twin 18650.

Unless you misplace/break stuff a lot, the additional expense of a more capable flashlight won't mean much in the long run. But only you know what is right for you. Good luck.

Ruso

Newly Enlightened
That Klarus looks like the side switch will unintentionally activate too easily.

A flood beam beam needs a lot of lumens if your range extends much beyond, say 35 meters or less, depending on what you are looking at. My quad emitter single 26650 can do 3000 lumens but not for very long. 1000 lumens does the job OK.

Side switch is not an issue, I actually prefer side switches to any other activation mode.

You used the word 'toy' so now I'm thinking you may not have a specific need.

User interface becomes important with sustained, regular use.

This correct. I do not have a specific need, it's a want. I always had and have cheap department store type of flashlights. They are doing fine for what I need. As I mentioned earlier, it will be my camp/hike/car/lights out type of thing so it will not be use often. I think it's time to upgrade for me.

Have you seen the Nitecore EC4 variants? It is a twin 18650.

Unless you misplace/break stuff a lot, the additional expense of a more capable flashlight won't mean much in the long run. But only you know what is right for you. Good luck.

I checked Nitecore EC4 and it's rated to have a distance of 322m with 1000lm. G20 being 3000lm is rated to 150m; it appears to have much more flood.

Overall it looks like that I have to step out from my comfort zone and bump up my budget to ~$100.
For now the top contenders are:
Fenix PD40
Fenix FD40 (not sure about adjustable beam though, I think I'm better of with 2 lights If I want a thrower)
Klarus G20 - seems to have the best flood

Any other options, opinions on the above?

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the perfect light. DGQ tiny 26650. You can often get them on sale at gearbest.

Edit: Please note that if you get it from gearbest it we'll come on the slow boat from China. Usually takes about a month.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EC4SW is the one I was thinking of. I have the XHP50 emitter EC4S and other than unappealing tint it is a nice balance of flood with substantial throw. The user interface is excellent with two buttons.

Highly recommend dedicated thrower and a different area flashlight. Trying to clearly see distant items/creatures is hampered when there is a bunch of light being cast right in front of you. While it may not float your boat, some of us use a flashlight in each hand, balancing the weight while moving. This allows the area-light to shine forward while using the spot to check out other things around you; no need to be shifting one light source to and fro. The spot is used on momentary mostly, and tripping on roots and such is less frequent. This may be beyond your current needs but some reading this might benefit.

I believe Fenix PD40 and FD40 are discontinued according to Fenix. Maybe you can get a great price. Good hunting.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like Gearbest has a coupon code too. Under budget for the Neutral white version.

Ruso

Newly Enlightened
I have the perfect light. DGQ tiny 26650. You can often get them on sale at gearbest.

Edit: Please note that if you get it from gearbest it we'll come on the slow boat from China. Usually takes about a month.

Man, where you have been before. Since I've mentally upgraded my budget this light has a tough competiton. It also looks kinda wonky - short and stuby :/
But big ty, I will keep this option in mind.

@Kitrobaskin EC4SW to be honest I really like this light. The form factor, the looks, the UI, not ridiculously obscene amount of lumens. But the flood is a bit lacking compared to other options, which is a shame and makes my choices even harder :)

Now I have another contender in my mind, R50 Seeker Pro.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
R50 Seeker Pro; Nice! There has been some discussion regarding short circuit with the magnetic charging port? Maybe the R Dock has got it going on good.

You need to see the beam on these possibilities to find out, ideally. The Nitecore IS useful for an area light.