Here are my requirements for a new tactical light. Does it even exist?

rockminer

Newly Enlightened
I figured this would be the best place to ask. I'm looking to get a dedicated tactical everyday carry light. I would like something as close to these requirements as possible. Thank for any responses.

5 inches long or less
1 inch or less in diameter (including head size)
Momentary only switch. No matter how hard I push, it's momentary only.
Single mode only (high) for one option. A screw down head or some other way to get to another lumen mode would be optimum as I would like the option to switch to a lower lumen mode for edc tasks if desired.
Lanyard loop, or way to attach a lanyard.
Rechargeable battery compliant body. Meaning use of an 18650, 16650, etc. I don't want to constantly pump regular batteries into the light.
Deepish carry clip

Is there anything out there that would fit these requirements. I'm not finding a whole lot.

Last edited:

BigDogg795

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff would probably fit the bill. M91 or M61 with an MD2 body. The head might be .25" larger than you want though.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Peak Logan 17500 with momentary switch sounds about perfect. Doesn't have a lanyard attachment but it's possible to attach a pocket clip under the momentary switch so I imagine it would be possible to make a small lanyard tab.

An HDS tactical rotary would also do the trick. You can set it so 6:00 - 12:00 on the rotary dial is momentary max only.

I don't think Surefire has any current e-series models with the two stage twisty + momentary switch, but they used to make an EB1 with the tactical tailcap. You might be able to find one in the WTB section.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gosh... that's a toughy.

Twisty tail caps are going the way of the honest politician... hard to find.

Now Elzetta has a setup where momentary is easy, turning it on has to be intentional... not that it's difficult mind you, but with thumb use you really have to want to turn it on.

Their Alpha can run off a single rechargeable 123. And you can get it with a hi/lo tail cap where fastened completely is high 415 fairly neutral lumens, backed off about 1/3 turn is a low of about 15 lumens. The click is dang near silent. The quietest clicky I've experienced since Pentagon lights of the mid-2000's. They were quiet.

They make a clip for it but it's not the prettiest thing. Their lanyard ring is stellar though.

The price will be an eye opener but it's a great flashlight when it really counts. With mine, when the battery gets too weak to hold all those lumens wide open throttle it goes to low and gives you plenty of time to change fuel cells... well not days, but several minutes.

Another one to consider would be a SureFire 6P with a Malkoff 3 mode drop in. (Realizing the 6P is longer that 5") it would have the twisty you seek and the Malkoff engine can change modes by twisting the tailcap quickly. A 16650 battery and an Elzetta lanyard ring coupled with a Solar Force, SureFire or Malkoff clip and you're set. Personally I'd dremel away the lanyard ring protrusion from a Solar Force clip and have the lanyard attached to the Elzetta lanyard ring.

Anyway I'm certain more will chime in and add to the great suggestions previously made. But in my view Elzetta lights come the closest to that ultimate replacement of the once very popular twist to on/off tail cap.

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
What tactics do you need it for? Gun use, swat, search, tactical work lighting( aka military ops?) , duty?

rockminer

Newly Enlightened
What tactics do you need it for? Gun use, swat, search, tactical work lighting( aka military ops?) , duty?

Mostly for concealed carry. I currently have a Thrunite TN-12, and while I like the lumen output, I don't like the clicky switch or the side button to change modes. I was hoping I could find something in that size range or smaller. The size doesn't bother me when I carry it in cargo shorts, etc. but it carries pretty big in jeans. I was thinking that something with a 025 bigger head would be noticably bigger in pocket, although I could be wrong :)

The Elzetta looks pretty cool. The Bravo with the low profile head might not be that big of a difference from what I have now, size wise. The alpha looks cool to. I'll have to check out the Malkoff when I get a chance. Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone :twothumbs Keep them coming if you think of anything else.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the soon to be released Surefire 'Yeager Light' will meet your requirements. There are some videos about it on YouTube.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could Lego a 700+ lumen Quark Tactical (programmable 2-mode) Burst Mode (QT2L-X) on a 16650 @ 4.5x0.9" for $70-something from FourSeven's accessory section. However, it would require shaving a couple tabs inside the clicky to turn it into a momentary-only switch.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Interesting. So let me first say I had the same requirements.

ArmyTek prime C2 with C1 body fit the bill for me. Here's why.

1. I can use 18650 (C2 body) when I want longer run times.
2. I can use 18350 (C1) body) when I want a smaller light.
3. There is a 1 mode tactical setting. Light will only stay on when I hold the button.
4. Sub lumen modes are great.
5. Similar to Zebralight UI with the shortcuts but I don't have to turn off the light or hold to go into another mode group. Example. I'm in the main (180 lumens) setting. I can triple click to get to turbo, doesn't matter if the light is on or off shortcut is the same. I can double click to get back to main. Mode memory will remember ANY mode you used last. Shortcuts take out the guess work of the last mode you used unlike most side switch lights with mode memory( Fenix, Thrunite)
6. 4 clicks to strobe mode. But also found out that if you keep clicking more than 4 times rapidly you will stay in strobe no matter what. Great in high stress situations.
7. Removable magnet on the tail. Comes in handy more than I thought.
8. XHP35 warm 1500 OTF lumens 1900 at the LED.
9. 10 year warranty
10. Steel bezel NOT aluminum.
11. 30% off with birthday coupon.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Peak Logan 17500 with momentary switch sounds about perfect. Doesn't have a lanyard attachment but it's possible to attach a pocket clip under the momentary switch so I imagine it would be possible to make a small lanyard tab.

An HDS tactical rotary would also do the trick. You can set it so 6:00 - 12:00 on the rotary dial is momentary max only.

I don't think Surefire has any current e-series models with the two stage twisty + momentary switch, but they used to make an EB1 with the tactical tailcap. You might be able to find one in the WTB section.

The 17500 Logan/momentary switch looks like the light that is closest to the OP's requirements. The Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA comes close but there is no momentary only and output is reduced on eneloop rechargeables.CR123s are needed for optimum output but LiFePO4 3V Li-ion batteries might work.
A Malkoff with a SF tactical twisty or a SF 6P with the drop-in of your choice are probably the best options but they won't meet the dimension requirements.