• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

OR Universal Clip HDS Modification tutorial

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I got an HDS Rotary 200 lumen light and an OR Universal pocket clip to go with it. I read some of the other posts about modifying an OR clip which seemed to be the best option for the HDS lights.

Here is a pictorial view of my positive experience with the mod. I used a dremel and some patience, which netted me a satisfactory result. It did not come out perfect, but I am happy with it. Functionally, it works great! I also think that the OR clip is aesthetically very pleasing.

Just take your time and test fit often and you will have no trouble at all.

Tools of the trade.

5QxzHNz.jpg

mz7keUJ.jpg

Starting inside diameter.

1lQQikq.jpg

Outside diameter.

ZXB81TS.jpg

Testing for fit. It needs a bit more...

dRAUJPP.jpg

Final size

b2kEomu.jpg

Final size measured 90* out.

LUhhLvo.jpg

The finished results. You can see that the clip is not perfectly centered. I might be able to adjust it a bit, but I think I am going to leave well enough alone. You have to try your best to grind symmetrically, but doing it by hand and eyeballing it is not a perfect method.

80w9ojL.jpg

JPViuJZ.jpg

sNfvLtr.jpg

gHSAmii.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently did this mod as well. What I found with the centering issue is that once the clip is down past the threads it can move about a bit. It's just the o-ring that tends to make it a bit difficult to move. Took me probably five minutes to get the clip perfectly centered and tighten down the bezel without the clip shifting on me. Totally worth the time if you are bothered by little things.

Which o-ring(s) did you replace and what size? At the recommendation of user emarkd I replaced the outside lens o-ring with a 2x18.5mm and it seems to be working well, though I have't really tested waterproofing yet.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done this mod lots of times. The OP probably didn't replace any o-rings because he put the clip below the reflector, touching the body of the head. That's fine, and putting it there means no o-ring swaps required, but it also raises the reflector about a mm relative to the emitter, changing the focal length. I didn't care for that, and in some lights it even causes rings or other flaws. Putting it above the reflector allows the reflector to stay in contact with the head, which doesn't effect focus. But it does mean an o-ring swap to keep the lens tight in there.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
OK, good to know, I think I will fiddle with it a bit.

Correct, I did not change the o-ring. I just used the original.

edit:
Just went back down to my work bench. I got the ring more center now. It just took a little trial and error.

I do notice a faint ring in the outer flood portion of the beam. It is not too bad, but I might try a thinner o-ring at some point. :twothumbs

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thicker. You need a thicker o-ring. If you move the clip above the reflector, so its touching the reflector and the bezel instead of the head, then the reflector moves back "down" into its normal position relative to the emitter. No beam changes. Here's a pic of a few of mine so you can maybe see the different positioning of the clip.

ReMlzbQ.jpg

But putting the clip there means the bezel doesn't screw down as far, leaving a bigger gap where the lens sits. So you need a bigger o-ring to close that gap. I've tried swapping the o-ring above the lens and that works fine, but I couldn't get it to seal up as tightly. I had the best luck replacing the o-ring below the lens, the one that sits in the little "channel" around the top of the reflector, so that the lens is pushed up higher. In this configuration my lights seal up just as tightly as stock and there's no beam changes.

The original size of that o-ring is 1x19mm You need to close up about a mm gap, so that sounds like a 2x19mm o-ring would do. In actuality though, o-ring sizes are based on ID so if you order that one it'll be _slightly_ larger diameter as well as thicker. I had the best fit with a 2x18.5mm, basically "splitting the difference" between ID and OD for that added thickness, but if you can find a 2x19 or even a 1.5x19 locally it'll probably work fine. If you're ordering online just get these.

Nice write-up, by the way, and great pictures. I've been meaning to do this in some official and linkable way and now I don't have to :)

Last edited:

flat-ray

Enlightened
Thanks for the tutorial. I recently I ordered a clip and now I am ready to install.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the 2x18.5mm o-rings. I will have a few extra since there was a minimum order amount.

If anybody else wants to make the modification, let me know and we can work something out.