I want more I want more - newb trying to step it up

MiniLights

Newly Enlightened
Let me start by saying how incredible a resource this forum is. The in depth reviews and technical data available is overwhelming, thanks to all who put so much time and effort into making such information available. It took me a while, but I am finally feeling like I have a decent handle on the basics and I want to make the jump to a larger cell light.

I have always had an affinity for gadgets; knives, lights, multitools etc. I have stepped up my light game from the likes of ****'s sporting goods $20 lights and the amazon Vizeri 230 to now having an Olight I3s Copper EOS (carried every waking minute of the day), a Streamlight Microstream, and most recently, a Klarus Mi7.

Once I got my Klarus I knew I had to venture into Li-ion world to see the claimed 700 lumen max output. A little over a week ago I ordered an Xtar VC4, a pair of Olight 14500 batteries, and some AA & AAA eneloops for good measure. I giggled like a school girl when I popped the Li-Ion in the Mi7 for the first time.

So to the point here. I want a compact 18650 light. The Vizeri 230 that I have had for the past couple of years has been my jacket pocket/car door light and I find the size to be ideal. It runs on 3 AAA's in a carrier and has zoom which is always fun for sending a tight beam a couple hundred yards. As I understand it, it can accept an 18650 with a tube extension, but it's a low quality over driven light from what I have read on here.

This light won't take massive amounts of abuse, and will mostly be a go-bag, jacket pocket, car door type light for regular pedestrian stuff. I might use it in some firearms pistol training, holding it with my off hand, if it turns out to be a light that would work well for that. But, its far from a real consideration for now and I don't plan to weapon mount it.

Desired features:
- I want to spend less than $70, would be happier to keep it closer to $50 or even under that.
- I love throw, but am finding that flood is often more practical. Perhaps a medium floody light with a medium hot spot that has throw beyond a couple hundred yards?
- Ability to tail stand.
- Rear clicky, or at least a side switch that is not easily activated by accident (my only complaint with the Mi7)
- NON - USB rechargeable, seems like a dust collector and weak spot for water resistance.
- Mostly uniform size between bezel and tube, i don't like lots of taper.
- Prefer non strike bezel but I am open to it in the right package. I carry plenty other means of self defense and prefer the clean look.
- Open to different tints but a cool white or something even in 4500k is ok (i think that is on the warmer side?) I have not experienced it but I don't like the sound of green tint that I read about on here.

Lights I have had my eye on:
- Olight S30
- 4Sevens Maelstrom Regen MMR-X800
- 4 Sevens Quark Click
- Various Fenix lights

I find ZL's to be ugly, maybe I should get over that.

Apologies if the list is wishy washy, contradicts itself or is just plain strange. I am still getting up to speed on the more advanced side of the flashlight world and all it has to offer.

Thanks

Last edited:

MiniLights

Newly Enlightened
Fenix PD35 perhaps?

I do like most of the features. It seems a bit on the longer side than I am looking for however, perhaps because of the tail clicky? Also, not a fan of the step down from turbo within minutes, is that due to the emitter being overdriven? Will most 18650's pushing over 600 lumens have short turbo/high run-times that automatically step down?

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the BLF A6. It's hard to find a better 18650 light for the price.

MiniLights

Newly Enlightened
Check out the BLF A6. It's hard to find a better 18650 light for the price.

I'll give it a look. Currently being seduced by the emisar d4. But it gets so darn hot. I'm also coming around on the ZL sc600 mKIII. Price becomes a much larger factor when I consider ZL though. The mkIII is 4 times the price of the BLF and twice as expensive as the emisar. All of a sudden, I think I need them all...

Keitho

Enlightened
All of a sudden, I think I need them all...

Just wait till you get your first pop can light over 10,000 lumens, and your first thrower over 1000m...

I wouldn't worry about the D4 heat. The driver is programmable to almost any set temp, so I have it set pretty cool after the initial playing around to see how much I could get out of it. Heat comes with light, and the D4 will produce as much or as little as you want with a perfect UI.

And yes, your destiny is a Zebralight. For compact, SC63 or 63w can't be beat. For flood, SC600Fd III+ makes me smile every time.

arKmm

Enlightened
I do like most of the features. It seems a bit on the longer side than I am looking for however, perhaps because of the tail clicky? Also, not a fan of the step down from turbo within minutes, is that due to the emitter being overdriven? Will most 18650's pushing over 600 lumens have short turbo/high run-times that automatically step down?
Yes, most things that small will step down 5 minutes or so into running turbo due to the temperature. You'll find some will go down even earlier due to batteries.

It's not actually that long, certainly I have never noticed it being that longer. It might just be because it's fairly thin that it appears long.

MiniLights

Newly Enlightened
Welp, I've got a D4 on the way. Should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to get my first taste of 18650 in what seems to be one of the craziest lights in that class to date.

MX421

Enlightened
Agree that you should get over the Zebralight "ugly". I used to think they were ugly as well...now i am addicted to them.

If they still have them, try a Zebralight SC62w. They were on sale awhile back to make way for the newer SC63(w). Now there is talk of a SC64c (high Color Rendering Index, or CRI), so who knows, maybe the SC63 will be on sale soon. Congrats on your first 18650 light, they definitely don't disappoint. I've been getting into the AA format again, but i always still have a 18650 with me....

Last edited:

Latest posts