Most rockin' head for surefire E-series body

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old E2e body that remains one of my favorites, and equipped with an aftermarket head (I can't remember the origin; before that, it was a valiant head with a malkoff p60 drop-in), is still my nightstand light. I'd like to update this with a modern, kick-butt head and/or drop-in -- I want to modernize the dropin with much more performance. I'd like to hear whatever YOU think is a great drop-in for this light, I will list my personal preferences below, but I am somewhat flexible to make tradeoffs, so don't strictly limit yourself to match my list:

1. I can run 2x123A or 16650 (that is, not bored for 18650). I prefer to have a 16650 option if possible (but if you have a great 2x123 option, please include it)
2. I bias towards throw, but willing to make some tradeoffs. Let's say no lower than 12kcd, but interesting in anything above that. Feel free to propose heads that make all kinds of throw/intensity tradeoffs, as long as we stay above that 12kcd (that is, I'm not at all interested in an 8kcd 1500lumen triple)
3. I don't want the head to throw off the size too terribly much (that is, the Valiant's 29mm head size is probably my absolute limit as far as size)

Thanks for any help. The one option I do know about is Malkoff's E2 Super Throw/Scout https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.c...uper-throw-scout-m600-2cr123-high-output-head I notice Malkoff gives the measure of "20000 lux at 1 meter", but I have no idea how that compares to candela. Can anyone help?

I could also put a newer Malkoff p60 drop-in in that Valiant head, but those don't seem to be terribly high performance

Thanks in advance!

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very hard to beat that Malkoff E2 ST/S you mentioned, outside of a custom job by a modder.
It's the, if not one of the best off the shelf performers for the E2 body while retaining that small head size.
Runtimes are quite short on paper but nobody is buying them for that anyway.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dan, I was hoping they were the same.

Robert, thanks for the endorsement of that ST/S... I have found some other E2 heads in my travels, but that seems tops

archimedes

Flashaholic
I like this one ... but you said, no triples :shrug:

SlX8I4b.jpg

VoB A3 light engine = 3x XHP-50 (4000K) ~ 5,000 lumen max output

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what, I want to see all those cool triples anyway! And I'd consider triples if they could pass my 12kcd mark, I just figured no triples would. Although for 5000 lumens, I might change my mind, just for the make-me-smile-when-I-turn-it-on factor

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, for an Aleph3 bezel

Here is how mine is currently set up ...

GG31U92.jpg

Could do something like this instead, though ...

v3BIxcD.jpg

Please note, however, this one cannot safely run on primaries ;)

Last edited:
I love the Malkoff heads that fit the E lights. I can't say I have a lot of experience with other brands but I used the Malkoffs on several E1b lights in the past and really liked the combo.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MDC heads will fit the E series bodies and depending on which head you choose there are those that will run on 2 x CR123's and 16650.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As we're allowed to mention Triples, Oveready make a Triple E Head with something like 2500 Lm. You'd probably have to pick one up on the Marketplace, though.
P

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys .. yellow, agree that an 18650 IMR would definitely be happier than a 16650 one, especially driving some of the monster heads being mentioned here. But I'm trying to stick with no-fuss/no-muss, I have my non-bored E series body, just trying to put it to good use without having to send it away, hope to get it back, etc.

Thanks guys for mentioning those triples, looking them over now, I have a feeling I'll get tripped up on the size, lack of candlepower, lack of ability to be driven by a lowly 16650, or all of the above, but will definitely run each down. As well as the other Malkoffs, etc. It feels like this isn't a hugely crowded field -- some Malkoff offerings, a few customer offerings, and Tana (thanks Archimedes)...

archimedes

Flashaholic
More for completeness and discussion purposes, but the Tain Nova Ti is E-series compatible and would run nicely on 16650.

The larger diameter reflector likely acts as a "mini" TurboHead to boost beam throw (although I haven't tried to measure this specifically)

Looks cool too ... :cool:

Here it is on a custom (Ti) host -

4wWzeaE.jpg

Last edited:

evanrocks

Newly Enlightened
The E2ST is a nice replacement head with pretty good throw for its size. I like the form factor more than the output.

Viper715

Enlightened
I went with the Oveready with the size and output I love it. Also the programmability seals the deal for me.

4be8d056fb8a71c2c01e1a4bbea25c89.jpg

e94f5d8acedb8dcb3a9069b3997459cb.jpg

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Here's some malkoff e heads to get a good idea

Kcd measurements are my own, distance is aprox 50ft taken on my crap samsung

Surefire eb1 200lm 13kcd
gqoiBCy.jpg

Malkoff e2 5kcd
8ktWzRG.jpg

Malkoff e2t 8kcd
YmCmELO.jpg

Malkoff e2st 15kcd
N4ID9WP.jpg

Malkoff e2s 9kcd
QQIimEH.jpg

Some of the family
VxiibjX.jpg

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now malkoff super throw or the 700 lumen super version.

That is until the 700/7 l twist sf head comes out.

I'm getting by with the 200l kx2 until then.