64458 Maglite battery options in 2017

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't image the last time a thread on a 458 was posted. For many years I had meticulously maintained the 18x AA Elite battery pack in my relatively ancient Maglite 6-D sleeper. No pics needed 100% stock looking.

This light was super awesome, the best flame starting light I ever owned (not including stuff I could plug into the wall)

Well after moving 3 times in 1 year it got annoying fishing out my chargers for its monthly charge discharge cycle. Eventually the cells have gone flat and outright died. Obviously AA batteries dumping 8 amps need to be all working together flawlessly or performance isn't going to happen. Well it's 2017 and while it appears I can still find and buy Elite AA cells. I worry about A. how long they have been sitting on shelves unsold. As well as the fact that there had to be a better option. As cool as the Fivemega (if it was, hard to remember) 18 battery adapter was. Battery tech has exploded in the last decade. There must be better options. I was considering 26650 cells. 6 of them would match the voltage of 18 NiMH cells while increasing run time 3 fold easily. However I worry greatly that the voltage sag would be so little I'd just flash bulbs.

18x NiMH ultra hi drain batteries start off around 21.6 volts vs 22.2 of Li-polly Even with the fancy soft starter in this light (anyone else worry about all of the forgotten relics being well forgotten? I used to know this thing inside and out and can't even remember who made the soft starter, or its specifics).
I think I'd still flash bulbs. While 5x 26650 is 18.5 volts. It's possible they'd hold up their voltage better then 18x Elites but I can't say I never took the opportunity to see how much they sagged under load. I know these WHERE the cells to use back in the day so it couldn't have been much.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Nice build, classic. I think you could get a hobby charger (Turnigy, etc) that allows you adjust the voltage for charging li-ion cells? You lose a little capacity but you could set it to charge them so the battery produces a voltage that's safe for the 458.

mjgsxr

Enlightened
I have a 64458 as well. 6 26650 will blow bulb even with a soft start. 4.2v x 6 cells = 25.2v . Your cheapest way to bring you mag back to life is 5 imr 26650 cells and a spacer to take up the length difference. 4.2v x 5 cells = 21v and under load there going to be above 18v for a good while.

I have 6 lifepo4 cells in mine (A123). There lower voltage 3.45v after charging and resting. 3.45v x 6 cells = 20.7v but are only 2500mah.

JimmyM makes a voltage regulator with a soft start and still has some for sale. You can use extra batteries and it will but out the right voltage to your bulb. Just search for JimmyM regulator.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I was doing some math it looks like 5x 26650 5200 IMRs from keeppower are the way to go.
They will hold around 3.75 volts at 8 Amps, the 5200 Li-Ion versions a little less. The 4200 IMRs will actually hold better at a bit more than 3.8 volts at 8 Amp load but they have been discontinued :shakehead.

It seems the Elites 2000s end up around 1 volt under sag anyways so shouldn't be much performance drop.
Some of it's coming back to me. I've actually got a JimmyM regulator NOT in a maglite lol, but in my old school "BLACK BOX" Hotwire thrower light (doubt any of those threads still exist on here:thinking:) Really nice always wanted to push the boundaries with it on the bulb but would have to relearn how to set it up. Running 15 volts on the softest setting I remember that. The 6-D 458 we are discussing is actually running Alan B's
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?218506-Feeler-Programmable-Hotwire-Regulated-Driver-drop-in-for-D-M-g
Thing of beauty :drool: shame it is tucked away out of view, the 458 was kinda my last hurrah in the flashlight world when I was still active on here and when I got my first job and could save up to get a "real" light. Little did I know at the time but this light would go on to be a pivotal turning point in my life, including winning me over $1,200 in merchandise in a contest, AND helping to get me an internship at NASA which turned into a job opportunity lol. But that is all another story:cool:.

What's the best bet on charging 26650's today? There are so many new fancy digital chargers out there but most of them seem to not charge more than one or not more than two 26650s at once. Obviously more is better. I have hobby chargers but if I charged them in series they wouldn't be balanced and charging them one at a time is just as slow as the alternative single 26650 chargers that exist.

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Skyrc MC3000 can charge 4 26650 batteries at once and at a good charge rate. Not the cheapest charger.

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Was checking specs on bulb, with good batteries you should be getting 10amps + at turn on. Keeppower aren't all ways the best for high current applications. Check out http://lygte-info.dk/ for battery test data. Some of the best 26650 imr batteries at this time are the ijoy 4200 mah. The new high drain king is samsungs 30t 3000mah 21700, it should be available to purchase before the end of the year. Can do 30amps + no problem.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the information mjgsxr. That charger looks killer good. I'm sure that will charge a lot faster than all the other cheaper models I've seen and is much more flexible. Did not see the ijoy 4200 mah before, looks impressive. The ijoy 4200 defiantly have the edge over the IMR keeppowers IMRs holding near 4 volt at turn on, I will have to justify twice the cost per cell however.

One thing I have always wondered about is the best way to connect flat tops under high drain. In the past I have used small neodymium disk magnets but never past 3 amps, not sure how they'd fair under 8+

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Efest 3500mah and 4200mah 26650 have a slightly raised top that work well in series.

The best way to make true flat tops work in high powered flashlights is a small blob of solder on the positive contact. A hot soldering iron 40watt + done quickly works great.