Newb Question

TattooBlade

Newly Enlightened
Been a knife guy forever. New to the light world. Have a few Surefires and owned a Haiku a few years ago. Are more customs lower lumes than high output? Seems like the production lights put out more lumes? Am I looking in the wrong places? Also, outside of this Forum, any other good resources to learn about the light game? Thanks

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I know what you mean.
Have a look at Sky Lumens, Adventure Sport and Oveready to name but three.
P

I agree. I have 4 different Adventure Sports and 2 Over Ready lights. Randy at PFlexPro also builds excellent lights packed with value. I have 2 lights from Randy with LUCIDRV which provide almost unlimited options for programming.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Been a knife guy forever. New to the light world. Have a few Surefires and owned a Haiku a few years ago. Are more customs lower lumes than high output? Seems like the production lights put out more lumes? Am I looking in the wrong places? ....

Great question :)

Even setting aside the comparison of lumens to "lumens" ... for many here, the max output might actually be among the least important feature of a particular flashlight.

Materials, build quality, beam shape, tint, color rendering, runtime efficiency, user interface, customer service, etc, etc, etc, may take precedence over raw max output (especially for customs)

That said, there are certainly some "mid-tech" and modders focused on providing hyper-output torches, too. Some of these have already been mentioned above ;)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Well put Archi... the graph... explain the graph. lol.

Nah seriously, in terms of a light user who prefers the 'top shelf' type of, exotics, customs and flat out cost is irrelevant, many times... probably most times a specific set of goals are sought. And in most of those cases, like a nicely tailored suit, it may appear bland to the novice, but the owner is the one who sees that little something most do not.

To put it in suit terms, the typical US President wears a very expensive yet very basic looking suit. Not much pizazz, not much "geez look at me". Subtlety is paramount.

Now the SuperFly suit can be compared to the massive output type flashlights. Again, well made and likely expensive, yet the owner has a different mindset. Not necessarily meant to say "look at me", but dam sure going to be noticed in a crowd.

Both are good. Both are perfect for the personality of the owner. Many times lifestyle makes the difference too. If you use your flashlight to play night golf, mega whopping output is in order. If you use your flashlight to walk the dog, 300 lumens is more than enough.