2017 Mitsubishi RVR Bulb Advice

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Hello Friends.

So, after 40 months of being a pathetic lemon, its about time to ditch the Buick from whence it came, and the 2017 Tacoma that I asked about recently sucked to drive (terrible throttle calibration and engine response) so that fell through.

Were about to pull the trigger on a 2017 Mitsubishi RVR (Outlander Sport in the USA), something we can bang around through the snow and get to remote job sites with. Done all of our test driving, looking to lock in the 10 year warranty on offer right now. Looking at the 2.4L AWC model, which has halogen low beam projectors and halogen high beam reflectors. Didn't get to drive it much after dark, but the ol' eye test seemed to indicate they were adequate to drive by.

It looks like the high beams are 9005, so I think I can probably install the 9011 bulbs in this place. The low beam projector appears to take an H11 bulb, and I was wondering if it would be a suitable candidate for the base trimmed H9 as I did in the Verano low beam projector.

Thanks very much in advance for your input.

Dave (in Calgary)

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
about to pull the trigger on a 2017 Mitsubishi RVR (Outlander Sport in the USA), something we can bang around through the snow and get to remote job sites with.

It looks like the high beams are 9005, so I think I can probably install the 9011 bulbs in this place. The low beam projector appears to take an H11 bulb, and I was wondering if it would be a suitable candidate for the base trimmed H9 as I did in the Verano low beam projector.

I can scarcely think of any reason to not upgrade the HB3 high beams to HIR1 in any car, unless the lenses are just extremely hazed/crazed, since it could create more backscatter in the driver's field of view and make the high beams more glaring to oncoming drivers even at increased distance. However, this is a new vehicle-- upgrade away!

For the H11 to H9 swap, it's more than just glare control (which shouldn't be an issue with the projector low beams)-- the H11 is a (nominal) 55W, the H9 is a (nominal) 65W bulb. The extra heat can be a problem to some wiring and headlamp materials. You might want to measure the voltage drop at the low beams-- if you're getting much voltage drop now then that may mean you'll end up underpowering the higher-wattage H9.

Magio

Enlightened
If I were you I would forget about the H9 upgrade altogether. Since you are buying a new car just opt for the higher trim level that offers OEM HID's for the lowbeam.

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Hi Magio,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did see that the GT trim is so equipped, but I'm not interested in the GT trim. I'm done with leather seats, they are very uncomfortable in the hot and cold (even heated), and more prone to getting scratched. We don't have kids or dogs so the ease of wiping leather seats also doesn't help us. I also don't want the cargo space eating subwoofer. Essentially we like the mid-level trim for the bigger motor with a more basic kit all around. The HIDs are the only other upgraded feature I would want, and I don't think its worth paying the extra money for features we don't want just for that one.

I wonder if the hardware and controls are all the same? Maybe I could buy them and install them. I know Virgil has suggested it in the past on things like Golfs. Although the GT also comes with manual headlight leveling.

Magio

Enlightened
You can put covers over leather seats too, but I understand why you may not want the upper trim level.

You might could buy the headlights seperate and install them but for the price of them you would better off buying the higher trim level. Here in America the trim with HID headlights is only $1500 more than the one without. Buying the headlights separate are $1543. So its actually a couple bucks cheaper to buy the higher trim than to buy the lights seperate.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might could buy the headlights seperate and install them but for the price of them you would better off buying the higher trim level. Here in America the trim with HID headlights is only $1500 more than the one without. Buying the headlights separate are $1543. So its actually a couple bucks cheaper to buy the higher trim than to buy the lights seperate.

The higher trim level may be more expensive to insure, too. And immediately swapping in new headlamps could lead to fights with the dealer over warranty work later (even though you used genuine parts). You still have to spend the time and/or money installing those lamps, and you must get them aimed afterwards (or spend a bit of time finding the right place to do it yourself, and then do it yourself).

It's also not an absolute guarantee that the HID lamps are objectively better than the halogen ones.

Magio

Enlightened
The higher trim level may be more expensive to insure, too. And immediately swapping in new headlamps could lead to fights with the dealer over warranty work later (even though you used genuine parts). You still have to spend the time and/or money installing those lamps, and you must get them aimed afterwards (or spend a bit of time finding the right place to do it yourself, and then do it yourself).

It's also not an absolute guarantee that the HID lamps are objectively better than the halogen ones.

It may be more expensive to insure but it may not be either. When I bought my Accord Touring my insurance company gave me a steep discount since it has CMBS, auto high beam, LKAS, and DRLs. I didn't compare rates with the lower trim levels but my car may have been cheaper to insure than the models without those safety systems. The highest trim of the Outlander also has those safety systems so it may be the same way with it.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be more expensive to insure but it may not be either. When I bought my Accord Touring my insurance company gave me a steep discount since it has CMBS, auto high beam, LKAS, and DRLs.

Many of those features are available across many trim levels of car. DRLs are mandatory in Canada, so obviously those will be standard on the RVR and the GT.

Liability and collision might be cheaper for the higher trim level that has the most safety features, but comprehensive coverage could be much higher.

Sure, the panoramic sunroof and motorized mirrors are nice, and there's the auto-dimming mirror with HomelinkTM​, but these both have the same standard safety features.

And we still don't know if the HIDs are better. I'd rather my LS430's headlamps, which have a great pattern and all, just not be quite so high a CCT. And don't forget how plentiful and cheap the H9 is compared to arc-discharge capsules.

(Also: I'd spring for the block heater. Those things are amazing even in relatively mild winters.)

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Well, the trigger has been pulled. RVR SE Limited with the halogens upfront.

I laughed about the block heater though. I don't think you can buy a new car off the lot in the Canadian Prairies without one.

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
I got them to check headlight aim during PDI, as that was an actual issue on the Buick.

Alaric, do you know if there is a way to figure out whether the wiring and projectors can handle the H9s besides waiting for Virgil to reach into his giant repository of knowledge and let us know? You mentioned checking the voltage drop but that wouldn't let us know if it can handle the extra heat. Last time he just said "yup that'll work".

Thanks in advance everyone.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got them to check headlight aim during PDI, as that was an actual issue on the Buick.
Good call.

Alaric, do you know if there is a way to figure out whether the wiring and projectors can handle the H9s besides waiting for Virgil to reach into his giant repository of knowledge and let us know? You mentioned checking the voltage drop but that wouldn't let us know if it can handle the extra heat. Last time he just said "yup that'll work".
Unfortunately, I don't have the same mountains of data that he does. However, checking the voltage drop could be a clue that the system is "underwired", so you might want to do that.

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Hi Alaric,

I understand, we are very lucky to have access to such an expert.

A couple quick questions if you don't mind:

1) Do you know if HIR bulbs (9011 for my highbeams) are generally readily available at the local Parts Barn (Generic made-up Trademark) or if I'd be better to order off Amazon or Candlepower. Amazon.ca does carry them and I could likely get them here before our first road trip.

2) I know on some older standard bulbs that Virgil and yourself would recommend the Philips xTreme Vision as an upgrade. Assuming I'm a no go on the H9, would xTreme Vision H11s be worth considering?

Thanks

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Do you know if HIR bulbs (9011 for my highbeams) are generally readily available at the local Parts Barn (Generic made-up Trademark) or if I'd be better to order off Amazon or Candlepower. Amazon.ca does carry them and I could likely get them here before our first road trip.
Do Manny, Moe, and Jack have stores up your way? You might know them as the "Pep Boys".

2) I know on some older standard bulbs that Virgil and yourself would recommend the Philips xTreme Vision as an upgrade. Assuming I'm a no go on the H9, would xTreme Vision H11s be worth considering?
When electrical or thermal considerations preclude using the H9, the X-Treme Vision H11 would be a great choice.

jzchen

Enlightened
Pep Boys website usually has a discount code. You can use this to get significant savings and pick up in a local store. The discount can make bulbs cheaper, or as cheap, as Amazon. (Amazon and Pep Boys are linked directly from the Philips bulb pages as "where to buy"). The plus side is you can pick it up same day, vs Amazon shipping. (They offer a professional installation. Wonder if they'd do bulb modification for you).

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Bought Xtreme Vision H11s and 9011s. I'll measure the voltage drop for y'all at a later time, but since Virgil doesnt have any info on this car, I figure the XV bulbs would give me the best lighting the quickest, as were wasting no time hitting the highway through the dark next weekend.

Thanks everyone, will follow up once we get some seat time.

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

Seat time follow up. Took our first cross the prairie road trip this weekend, and drive mostly at night on undivided highway.

I was really impressed with the headlights. The low beam pattern seemed very wide, with a great even light distribution throughout the beam, and not much light in the foreground. I know its all subjective, but subjectively, I enjoyed these lights better than the Verano, and my brother's 14 Sierra.

That being said, I got flashed on my low beams seemingly every 4th car. I did have the headlights aimed during the PDI, so is it possible that I need to get them re-aimed with my standard load of items I carry? I generally carry a winter kit, compact telescoping aluminum ladder, bag with my PPE, and we each had a carry-on bag sized luggage in the back seat for this trip. The car didnt seem to be squatting at all but I imagine it wouldnt take much inclination to make oncoming cars think I am in high beams?

I'd like to make sure before I go to xtreme visions that I am not blinding people.

Thanks

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did have the headlights aimed during the PDI, so is it possible that I need to get them re-aimed with my standard load of items I carry?
Yes.

You need a half tank of gas, you in the driver's seat, and the *normal* loading you have in the car (so the ladder, and the bag with the PPE, but not necessarily luggage if you have it infrequently or aren't doing a 3000mi road trip).

Depending on what's in the trunk vs. an empty car, you probably really set the vertical aim upwards a bit. But if you get them aimed with much more weight in the trunk than you usually carry, then your low beams will be aimed *too* low without that luggage in them.

Essentially, the normal loading, you in the driver's seat, and a half tank of gas establishes a good baseline with some room for slightly different loads.

Also, if you plan on towing on a long trip then get them reaimed with the trailer attached and loaded so the tongue weight can be accounted for in the aim.

Finally-- be sure the tires are at the correct inflation pressure.

Last edited:

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the confirmation Alaric. Tires are brand new, pressures are good. Heck, the whole car only has 1000 miles on it. Won't be towing, so I'll run the tank down and book an appointment.