Light for Search and Rescue (SAR)

EBuff75

Newly Enlightened
I am a member of a local CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) who are occasionally called out for Search and Rescue (SAR) or for evidence searches. We are based in the suburbs, but have been called out before to a nearby rural area to assist. I have a floody headlamp (Armytek Wizard Pro Warm) which is good for illuminating the area immediately in front of me, but I'm looking for a hand held light to augment it for distance.

I've done some searching in the forum, but most of the recommendations for this type of light aren't very recent, so I thought I'd start my own post. I've used the checklist and added some clarifying comments throughout.

Important options: medium level output (300-600 lumen) with good runtime (5-8 hours); swappable batteries (no integrated / non-replaceable batteries); throw with decent spill; neutral or warm tint.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light? Doesn't matter, but probably online

2) Budget: Less than $250 would be preferable (recognizing that I may need to purchase additional batteries, charger, holster, etc., depending on the light), but I could go above that for the right light.

3) Format: I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

Large handheld (with a lanyard) up to a small handheld search light which has a sling mount to help support the weight.

4) Size:
__X__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
__X__MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
__X__LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.

I'm somewhat open on size, but am expecting it to be a medium or larger to meet my requirements. "Soda can" format lights are a possibility, although a skinnier body would probably be easier to hold for long periods.

5) Emitter/Light source: LED

6) Manufacturer:
__X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__X__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

My first inclination is to buy from a manufacturer, but I'm open to a custom light as well.

7) What power source do you want to use?
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
__X__I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

I already have a number of 18650 flashlights, so one that uses these cells (or something similar like 26650) is fine. Rechargeable battery packs are acceptable, ONLY if they can be removed from the light to swap out with a spare and aren't overly expensive (NOT looking for packs which are $75-200 apiece).

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
__X__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__X__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

I'm looking for a light which can provide about 300-600 lumens for 5-8 hours at a time. This generally seems to mean a light with a much higher high/turbo output (likely 1200+), with a mid-level setting that can hit the above output/battery life, while still allowing me to jump up to a very high output if needed.

__X__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
__X__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
__X__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
__X__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

The light is for search and rescue. I have a headlamp which is quite floody (Armytek Wizard Pro Warm), so I have something which should cover me for walking and close-up work. What I'm looking for now is a handheld which has a good throw, but still has a fairly good spill so that it's not too much of a single point of illumination. This will allow me to light up specific areas as I search, or to shine at greater distances. Having a smooth transition from hotspot to spill is preferable.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light:
__X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
__X__150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

Use could range from searching suburban yards (looking in bushes, under cars, etc.), open fields (parks, farmland), or heavily wooded/brushy areas (river bottoms, forest). Unlikely, but also a possibility that might need to use to scan across surface of bodies of water from the shoreline. We also do building searches, but for that I would likely use a different light.

10) Runtime:
__X__3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

Looking for 5-8 hours of mid-level (300-600 lumen) run time per charge, with the option to switch out batteries when they are depleted (i.e., no integrated/non-replaceable batteries)

11) Durability/Usage:
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

Primary use is for SAR, but it would probably go along for camping trips or possibly in the vehicle for inclement weather.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
__X__Any size switch will do.
__X__I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).

Given the presumed format of a medium+ sized light, a side switch will probably be easiest to use.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection.
__X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
__X__I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)

Plan is to use light for extended period on medium setting, with option to jump up to high/turbo if needed. Having the ability to use for signaling is nice, but not required. Most of my lights are multi-mode, so learning a new UI isn't an issue, although a simple way to change between output levels without having to scroll through everything would be nice.

14) Material/Finish/Coating: Don't care, as long as it's durable and reliable (this isn't going to be a "safe queen" light)

15) Water resistance:
__X__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
__X__IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

Need to be able to use in rain / wet areas and need it to withstand that sort of use without any problems.

16) Storage conditions:
__X__In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
__X__Emergency kit (long standby periods)
__X__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

This will likely be stored at my house until needed, but may also be placed in my pack / left in the vehicle.

17) Special Needs/extras:
__X__Holster
__X__Wrist/Neck Lanyard
__X__Neutral or Warm tint (this wasn't in the checklist, but I added it)

Would like to have a holster to put it in when not actively using it. Smaller lights might be fine with a wrist lanyard, but a larger (heavier) one would prefer to have a sling to go over shoulder/neck.
Having a warm or neutral tint is important to help distinguish colors properly, and for penetration in foggy / rainy / snowy / smoky conditions.

Some final thoughts:

I have a number of other lights (Fenix, Convoy, Armytek, Zebralight, plus consumer grade stuff that I loan out to other people), but right now the most powerful light I own is a Zebralight SC600 Mk III in neutral white. That's fine for relatively up-close, but it's too floody for any use at a distance, particularly if there is anything up-close which will the light will bounce off of (e.g. if working in the woods/brush).

What I'm picturing is a light with a much higher output than my ZL, something in the 3000+ lumen range. And yes, I admit that I'm using this as an excuse to get another flashlight! :D

Lights which which I've been considering are the Fenix TK75, Acebeam K60 or K70, Olight X7 or R50, Convoy L6, and ThruNite TN36 or TN40 NW. Some of these are really too floody or have the wrong tint for my intended use, which is why I'm asking for your assistance!

Plusses, minuses, lights I haven't considered? Thanks!

matt4350

Enlightened
You might check out the Olight SR52, that will give you a medium output of 550 lm for 7.5 hours with the stock version. The high of 1100 might not sound overly impressive, but it is very, very good for searching large areas at longer distance. Has a useful beam pattern that lights the ground just in front of you while you move and scan the distance. I got a neutral version modded by Vinh, overall it's just plain impressive and perfect for the job (in my opinion).

ven

Flashaholic
Yes the sr52 came to my mind before i read Matt's post above, certainly a contender. Out of the lights you have mentioned, the tk75 is a good option as well. Run time kits add flexibility, 2 or 3 times the run time. Also with a little larger in size, you can run 2-3000lm constant without heat issues. As you will know, lumens get eaten up very easy in open dark areas............one can never have too many!

The k60 mentioned is another great light, great beam with a large hot spot and bright spill. UI via a control ring, so you can set the output before even powering on. K70 is a good light, very good throw, spill is not that bright being a dedicated thrower. Also the 6500k xhp 35 HI is cold! blue cold...........not too easy on eyes imo. L6 is similar in ways to the k60(xhp70 floody/throwy beam). Different fuel with 2x 26650 v 4x 18650) and UI of course.....................

TN36 is flood with some punch(still reaches a decent distance), hefty well made chunk.

If you want to push the boundaries a little, check vinhs forum and shop out(skylumen). He sells modded versions of most mentioned, various LED options along with driver swaps. This gives you options of different mode groups. Single up to 6 levels iirc, choice of up to or around 20 groups. His lights end in vn, so the k60 would be k60vn. He adds heat sinking, LED,driver and mods the carrier/springs for less resistance. Often the prices are not much more than stock, so worth a look. He has many customers who do S&R along with police/armed forces etc .

You sound like you know your stuff anyway, the lights you have are certainly respectable:)

arKmm

Enlightened
Just wrote out a very very long answer, however it took so long the forum logged me out and I lost the post, so instead I'm afraid you're just getting a list of options which you could consider in your search.

Streamlight Ultrastinger LED, Streamlight Stinger HPL DS, Streamlight Stinger HL DS, Maglite ML50L, Maglite ML300L, Maglite Magcharger LED, Convoy L6, Malkoff Hound Dog Super Neutral.

arKmm

Enlightened
Having had another think about this, my last suggestion of the Malkoff Hound Dog Super with the MD4 body and Neutral tint would probably be my best recommendation.

Extremely well made, great tint and beam pattern, 77k lux or similiar (a long beam) but it's not all throw so can be used as an all-rounder too. Simple UI of twisting the head slightly to select either high or low power. It's 1200 lumen ish and you don't need more than that. And because it only runs at 1200, you get a decent run time too. Stick a couple of good 18650s in there and keep a couple spare on you and you'd be sorted for hours and hours.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several options available. Nitecore P30 would be a great short to medium range searchlight out to about 250 yds. It has a really nice tight central beam and enough spill to enable area awareness. It would also make a good backup light for a bigger main light. For a main light, the Nitecore TM16GT is rated at a kilometer, although most of us here would say about 3/4 of that would be more accurate. The TM36 would be another kilometer range light, that can be gotten with either a rechargeable battery pack or a body that takes regular CR123 or 18650 cells. The TM38 also has both power options and will reach out to 1.4 kilometers. The TM16GT runs close to your limit, but can usually be found for less. I included the other two TMs just because there make real good SAR lights, but both are over your budget. The TM16 will reach out about 500 yds in real life, and is available on Massdrop right now for around $125.

EBuff75

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate all the input that you've given me. I'm putting together a spreadsheet so that I can research all of the suggestions here to help with my decision. And yes, I'm aware of Vinh's lights, but my thought was to narrow the field down first, then look at what he offers to see if I wanted to go the custom route.

Getting info on the beam tint is proving the hardest for my research. Most companies don't seem to list that info, which means I have to do some digging. In some cases the manufacturer doesn't even indicate that there are multiple choices, but when I look around at pricing, I find NW and CW versions of the light available...

I was actually busy with CERT stuff this weekend (we were doing security for a local festival) and I think we've already got two or three more events we're scheduled for through the end of October (security or traffic control duties). I'll be back with some more specific questions later this week after I've had a chance to fill in my spreadsheet and recover from my weekend!

Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming!

arKmm

Enlightened
All I'd add is that as a working professional although there are wonderful custom options out there like Vinh's stuff, it's sometimes not a good idea to go 'that' high-end because you'll forever be worried that you'll lose it or someone will have it away!

I try to go for a high tier option from a main manufacturer that is military orientated, or alternatively similar items from a smaller manufacturer such as Elzetta or Malkoff.

Hence my earlier suggestion of the Streamlight Ultrastinger LED. Although the Malkoff Hound Dog Super in Neutral would be very good for your role, I'd suggest not going more bespoke than that for the above rationale.

MX421

Enlightened
Sheer lumen count doesn't necessarily mean it throws more. I'll just comment on some lights i have that might suit your purpose.

If you are happy with your Armytek light, perhaps a Barracuda, or even a Predator if size is an issue. They throw and although they have a lot of spill, it doesn't carry that far. I was really impressed with the Barracuda.

A Malkoff hounddog is a very well built light. I don't have the super, but the 'regular' neutral houngdog has quite a bit of throw. I would think the Super would be better. I like the Neutral tint on my Hounddog.

The Fenix TK75 has a lot of throw. It appears you want a pinpoint beam, so i would think this one wouldn't be what you are looking for in that respect. Although it'll throw aby sheer force, it is also floody to boot, so it may cause glare depending on your areas of usage. Its big though, so that may be a downside.

If you like your Zebralight, the 'SC600 MKIII HI ' is a pretty good light that has more throw than other Zebra's, but comparing the throw to the other lights above just isn't fair to it. It definity will fall short.

Last edited:

grateful1

Newly Enlightened
Any more input on this thread?

I'm piggy-backing because I'm looking to get on for the Missus. She's doing SAR training with our pup and I want to get her a decent light.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any more input on this thread?

I'm piggy-backing because I'm looking to get on for the Missus. She's doing SAR training with our pup and I want to get her a decent light.
This thread just started a day or two ago, and is on basically the same subject. I will add that I think the Nitecore P30 would be a good light as long as you are only looking out a couple of hundred meters. If you need to look further than that there are other lights like the Nitecore TM16/TM16GT and the TM36 & TM38, but all those are a lot more expensive. In any case the P30 would make a good second/backup light. SAR is one area where you don't want to get caught without any light if something happens to your main light.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?443134-Hand-held-throw-flashlight-torch-for-Search-amp-Rescue-organisation

Last edited: