Wife asked ME for new simple, small, control ring light!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
A couple years ago I got my wife a small, simple 18350 size light. I didn't realize that she actually liked it but she lost it and I guess she did and really wants another one. I'd let her have any of the lights in my collection but she wants the one she had and I don't even remember what it was.

I don't even remember what brand it was, but this is what it was like:

• Was short, ran on a 18350 battery and the body/head were not much fatter.
  • Was light and small; probably couldn't have survived being run over by a car.
    (I don't know HOW she does it, but somehow she manages to avoid those types of situations so that's not important.)
  • Had a simple control ring that went from about .1 to 300 lumens when rotating clockwise from the back end.
  • I got another battery tube for it that allowed it to run on a longer 18650 battery.
  • She does NOT WANT other options such as strobe, SOS.

Any suggestions for lights with those characteristics?

cp2315

Enlightened
jetbeam RRT01
Or niteye eye10?

I know for a fact that RRT01 takes 18350.

Both have been discontinued years ago though. Gonna be hard to get a new one.

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
available, click pick (but control ring is not on the back...)

the sunwayman version is not 18350 compatible afaik, and also does not have a control ring at the tail...

Best we got in suggestions unless someone knows the light he is referring to, its all we've got.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Niteye MSC10 maybe?

The MSC10 has a tailcap magnetic ring and peak output of 280 lumens.

ven

Flashaholic
HDS rotary=awesome, could go on for 19 threads of 100's of pages each.....oh hang on a min
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?417896-HDS-Systems-EDC-19
pic i recently took to show how compact the ZL is.
fhv28lSl.jpg

As mentioned, the v11r is a good option with the infinite control ring UI, in 16340 form on the right. Thanks to gunga, it sports a 219c 5000k led

It must be good, its been part of my EDC rotation for years!

Damn photobucket(messing with pics)

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Wow 19 threads! I apologize in advance for asking the following questions here before seriously researching those threads but here goes:
  1. Is the UI a simple twist from lowest to max?
  2. Is there also a model with a tail switch that twists from off to max enabling you to turn the light on at whatever level you want?
  3. I remember looking into one of these like 5 years ago and I don't know if my memory is correct but was thinking there was something like a 2 month waiting list on the light and many customers hadn't heard from him in a while? Was that HDS and is that better now?
  4. Could I get a 219C 5000K? That sounds good!
  5. Is it easy to upgrade emitters in the future when there are significant breakthru's in efficiency?

ven

Flashaholic
Yes, click on at rear and dial what you want of 24 levels(i think).. There is more to it than that though, you can program it, use as just a rear clicky if you want.

The 219c 5000k was a special run by hogo, tend to be batches of 24. So keep an eye out for one in the FS section(odd time they pop up). There is a 200lm hi cri from the 4000k 219b that henry does stock.

Upgrade LED's, sure its possible, others may advise better on that side who have swapped out the LED.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Wow 19 threads! I apologize in advance for asking the following questions here before seriously researching those threads but here goes:
  1. Is the UI a simple twist from lowest to max?
  2. Is there also a model with a tail switch that twists from off to max enabling you to turn the light on at whatever level you want?
  3. I remember looking into one of these like 5 years ago and I don't know if my memory is correct but was thinking there was something like a 2 month waiting list on the light and many customers hadn't heard from him in a while? Was that HDS and is that better now?
  4. Could I get a 219C 5000K? That sounds good!
  5. Is it easy to upgrade emitters in the future when there are significant breakthru's in efficiency?
1. The UI is programmable but out of the box goes like this...click tail cap switch to on, twist right to increase output, twist left to reduce.

2. Where ever the rotary dial is set at, that's the level it will turn on to.

3. There are a few 219c 5000k that were made for a special run. Called 3 O'clock High. One just sold here very recently. Keep an eye out. The HDS site offers a 219b 4000k as a "custom" option also. Very nice.

4. Thors Hammer Custom Leather is taking pre-orders for the "High Noon" 219c 5700K right now. Supposed to ship December. Only 24 of these will be made.

5. I personally don't know how to replace emitters in these but there are those who do it regularly so yes, if you have the know how.

The rotary UI is as simple as it gets, click on, twist to desired output.
There are a bunch of ways to customize behaviors of the turn-on click, double clicks, triple clicks that I won't even try to explain here. Check out the website, the user manuals are there for download/viewing.
Warning: The manual may make it all seem a bit complicated but don't worry. Much of the text is about customization, which when mastered, is quite easy.

Another warning: These things are addicting....if you get one for your love, your gonna need one for yourself. Then your gonna want one with an 18650 body, then your gonna want an AA body...then your gonna want...🤑

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
a model with a tail switch that twists from off to max enabling you to turn the light on at whatever level you want?
Could I get a 219C 5000K
yes
maybe

the light comes without a pocket clip, consider your preferences, pics from other posts:
WSvNmsY.jpg

63%20HDS%20accessories%20Rot%20universal%20clip%20P1090126.jpg

click last pic to go to the holster makers site, and to see his ordering page for the next High Noon run, as well as other lights he has in stock

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did it far better! :)
with all due respect sir, I agree with you.. LOL
btw, your pics are fantastic, it seems you maybe don't use a clip, how do you like to carry? dedicated pockets?

Last edited:

texas cop

Enlightened
Jetbeam makes the RRToSE and Going Gear has them reduced to 67.95. The light you discribed sound alot like the Jetbeam RRT01 or the Nite Eye 10. Both are interchangeable, I have both and very much like them with the newer Aspire 1100 mah 18350's. Sadly both are very discontinued, spent the last hour trying to find them. Jetbeam does still make the RRT0SE which has a tail switch and the rotary ring. The tail switch stops the parasitic drain from the electronics when off. RRT0SE comes with two body tubes one for AA/14500 as an extender and one for CR123A's/RCR123 with the tail switch. Sorry no 18350's. They do use the newer XM-L2's and claim 730 lumen max. SelfBuilt's review http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...23A-RCR-1xAA-14500)-review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS

ven

Flashaholic
with all due respect sir, I agree with you.. LOL
btw, your pics are fantastic, it seems you maybe don't use a clip, how do you like to carry? dedicated pockets?

:laughing:

Not using a clip for now, i do have the universal clip shown in an older pic

It has very mixed opinions, i actually dont mind it and it does do the job. Bit bulky and not as easy on the eye as the clicky clips! But as an anti-roll and general use, its fine imo.

I very rarely use clips, now and then in work on pants pocket. Most of the time they sit in a pocket(inside if coat) on their own................away from killer keys and crushing coins.