Keychain light with a very low, low mode that comes on first

carpdiem

Newly Enlightened
Hey all! It's been a few years since I've paid attention to the world of flashlights, and I'm in the market for a new keychain light. Some of my biggest criteria are size (in particular, length doesn't matter too much to me as long as it's less than a few inches, but I'd like to keep as small a diameter as possible), and having a good moonlight / firefly mode that turns on first (almost the lower the better, but definitely < 0.5 lumens). Would also like some modes up to higher brightnesses, but no real need to go past 200 lumens, as it'll be a relatively close-in use case light.

Beyond that, I don't really care about battery type (the small diameter pushes me towards AAA cells, but I'm happy to go with a more exotic lithium), I _really_ care about build quality, and I'm more than happy to spend extra to not have to buy something else again later. I would like either a high CRI light, or a warm-white. Pure, unnecessary bonus points if there's a easy way to use a red-filter with the light.

As far as UI goes, I'm pretty agnostic about clicky vs twisty / etc, except to say that very high reliability is extremely important to me, so I'd like to avoid anything likely to fail over < 5 years.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

_XX_This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

_XX_Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

_XX_I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

_XX_MICRO - Keychain size.

5) Emitter/Light source:

_XX_LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

_XX_I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_XX_I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

_XX_I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

_XX_I want to be able to walk around a completely dark room, without ruining my night vision (>0.5 lumens).
_XX_I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
_XX_I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
_XX_I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

_XX_All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
_XX_Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
_XX_Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_XX_Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_XX_Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

_XX_I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_XX_I want multiple light levels. (Would love roughly 3 levels; low / med / high)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

_XX_I don't know.

15) Water resistance

_XX_IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions

_XX_Other_Keychain________________________________________ ____

Agpp

Enlightened
Peak Eiger. Very good light, very good UI, though my personal experience with communication with the company is bad,

PartyPete

Enlightened
Nitecore Tube or Fenix UC01 both have 1 lumen modes, max 45 lumens, USB rechargeable.

I prefer the UC01 a tad due to liking the UI a bit more, I don't find the ramping of the Tube to be my cup of tea and prefer the 3 fixed modes with the Fenix as well as the battery indicator.

The wide beam of the Fenix is more what I want out of a little light, but the Tube is useful nonetheless.

The one drawback that makes the UC01 close to the perfect little light, but not quite is the tint; it's just way too cool. The Tube wins there.

Though in terms of reliability in my expirience with both...I've owned one UC01 now for over a year and it works flawlessly. I've owned 6 Tubes and 4 have died within a month. But when it works the Tube is excellent, I just wish it had the flood style beam of the Fenix.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Not 100% what you're asking for, but consider a Photon coin-cell light. It won't get lightning bright, but you won't find a light with a dimmer low or one the carried as well on a keyring.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you said key chain...but it almost sounds like you want a headlamp for the tasks you list.

Otherwise the ThruNite Ti3 is a great very small light.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ThruNite Ti3 in neutral white was the first thought on my mind, as well. This is a standard CRI light, but an outstanding value.

Most keychain uses seem to prefer to avoid tail clickies due to keychain tending to get in the way of the button, but the Thurnite Ti5 is a nice tail clicky version of the Ti3, just in case.

For something a bit fancier, the Reylight Copper Pineapple AAA is neat light that is also compatible with 10440 lithium ions and has a high CRI emitter. I think it is only available through Massdrop.

The Manker E01 and E02 also deserve a look. Both have high CRI emitters. The E02 is an angle head light, in case that has any appeal to you.

Regarding red filters - Most standard white LED's are rather deficient in the red range of their output, so they can end up being very dim when used with a red filter. This is another reason specific to your requests to go with high CRI, as they generally have more red in their spectrum.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For really small keychain size, you can't go wrong with the Photon Freedom...however max output is low (the now-defunct Photon Rex was a stellar performer). I carry two Freedoms so that I have a two-LED light (lol) when needed. One of the great features of the Freedom is you can always turn the light on, on low by pressing and holding the switch. If you just click on, IIRC, it turns on, on high. "Unlimited" levels of output--can gradually increase from low, or decrease from high. Can't speak to waterproof capability.

Nitecore offers some interesting keychain lights.
1) Tube is two levels: first click = 1 lumen, click twice = 45 lumens. Micro USB rechargeable. Accidental activation can be a problem.
2) Thumb is three levels: 2 lumens on low, 30 on medium, and 85 on high. Don't have the Thumb, so don't know other features and/or how it works.
3) TIP is a winner for me, although it does have a major downside. 1 lumen on low, 35 medium, 150 high and 360 turbo (lumens on CRI model lower). Like the Photon, the TIP will turn on, on low if you press and hold the button. Also can access turbo via the second button. Micro USB rechargeable. BIG downside is the switch--too much "accidental" activation. Nitecore did a lock-out version that drained the batteries, "resolved" that, then for 2017 removed the lockout altogether. Go figure. I carry the TIP everyday, clipped to the outside of a gadget bag...still so many instances of accidental activation. Also IIRC, NOT waterproof.

NOT familiar with the Fenix and/or other keychain models/brands.