whats the malkoff of 1xaa headlamps?

mickb

Enlightened
conservative, simple interface, minimal settings, highly durable. My current goto are fenix HL23 and while no problems as yet, wondered if there is a higher grade beyond this?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This summer Mick, I used a Streamlight double clutch clipped to my hardhat for the "honeycomb" difuser with an ability to switch to a floody spot on occasion.

One night something really set me off and I ended up spiking my hard hat (next to traffic). Light was turned on.

Well that resulted in my helmet getting scooped up like a soccer ball and passed a couple of times for about the length of a football feild. I saw my lit helmet rolling, and rolling and rolling, then gone.

I walked to where I saw it last and not far from there found it at the edge of a woods line. Light was off. Crap.

I opened the battery case and found one cell had moved away from the spring. Popped it back in place and when the case was closed the light turned back on.

I gave a shout out back then to 3M hard hats, Petzel headlamp clips and Streamlight Double Clutch head lamps.

It uses a usb rechargeable cell with regulated output. That only lasted a few nights, then one night flickered a few times and went to low setting and stayed the rest of the night (like 4 hours total on high). Next night I put in 3 rayovac alkalines and it ran unregulated for weeks. (Like 9 hours until noticeably dim.)

A hi/lo with memory is achieved via a quick double twist (hence the name double clutch), where you twist the head for on/off. Clockwise gets you the difused beam, counter clockwise for spot. And the battery case is part of the light instead of a cord leading to a headache inducing rear case.

Some swear by Zebralight set ups. If I recall correctly Malkoff has an MDC sized head lamp band for like $20. But for my uses Ima stick with that double clutch that replaced a Coast HL7 that got stolen.

Streamlight also has some haz-lo numbers and ProTac with an 18650 case attached to the lamp. Models vary for spot or flood. I got spoiled by the zoomable (non regulated) Coast, which is why I opted for the regulated Double Clutch.

I saw a bunch of construction workers using those "police security" numbers and none of those failed under some harsh conditions including high heat and downpour rain events.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Personally, I don't use headlamps much.

But, as bykfixer suggested, I do have a Malkoff Headlamp Holder .... Works fine for relatively light to medium duty, although not a dedicated setup :shrug:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The Fenix HL50 is kinda nice for 1XAA/CR123. The UI is simple and the light seems really well made. I don't hear too many reports of failures and it is the only 1XAA headlamp I know of which has a metal holder. The tint is nice as well. I don't think the electronics are potted.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I can criticize Zebralights for so far is that often as not, if I drop my H600w it'll turn off... I'd much rather that the impact didn't register as an off click. Other than that I find them super tough and reliable after several years of pocket carry, many drops, and daily use with a ZL H style pocket clip and heat shrink tubing applied, -so that the clip absolutely can't pop off.
The light still fits into the headband with the clip btw, just takes a few extra seconds to get the silicone band under the clip.

Turning off from an impact might or might not be as much of an issue with the AA versions and their lower mass batteries, I couldn't say.

Someone on here told me that ZL uses an aluminum magnesium alloy for their lights, I believe it due to the minimal deformation at the impact sites on my lights, as well as the rigid feel of the deceptively delicate seeming tail caps.
Whatever the alloy is, it's not soft.

As for interface, what gets overlooked sometimes is that so long as the user doesn't get fancy with clicking, the ZL interface is extremely simple:
Click On High.
Click Off.
Hold Down from Off to ramp L-M-H...
Hold Down from On to ramp L-M-H...

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
And double click from off gets you medium, although it registers the first of the double click as high and flashes before dropping down.

for my uses I found the AA is the perfect size to carry on my person but I like the 18650 for the longer runtime, even though it is slightly bigger. I have not been too gentle on my zebralights and they haven't given me any issues as long as I keep the threads and contacts clean.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The high flash on double click from off is probably my second least favorite thing about ZL, but it rarely comes up, situationally I either blink and don't care, or have one second to spare and wait while passing through low onto the medium setting.

My third least favorite thing about ZL is that if I'm quite inebriated, or panicky and lacking in fine motor control, I occasionally, accidentally, turn on high instead of waiting long enough for the intended moonlight mode...
Normally though it's not a problem, and given the logistical constraints of the system, if it's got to have a panic/failure mode, failing to high is likely the better default option rather than say, moonlight, for more people in more situations.

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks Bykfixer and guys. I might just stick with the Hl-23 for the moment and if I have failures I will try out streamlight or ZL.

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
conservative, simple interface, minimal settings, highly durable. My current goto are fenix HL23 and while no problems as yet, wondered if there is a higher grade beyond this?

When my old Fenix (21?) died on me I replaced it with a Thrunite TH20 and couldn't be happier. Simple UI (but infinitely variable), solid aluminum, runs on a single AA (or a 14500 if you want). The aluminum body gives it a very solid feel without being too heavy to wear.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Petzl has been making headlamps for a long time. All my Petzl have been very reliable. I occasionally use my ZL SC52 as a headlamp with the ZL headlamp adapter either right or left side.
Not sure if it counts but the Steamlight Sidewinder compact is an awesome alternative. The version two is very dependable.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
When my old Fenix (21?) died on me I replaced it with a Thrunite TH20 and couldn't be happier. Simple UI (but infinitely variable), solid aluminum, runs on a single AA (or a 14500 if you want). The aluminum body gives it a very solid feel without being too heavy to wear.

I second this. I don't know if you'd consider high end but I'm not sure you need to. Small, relatively light, and they absolutely nailed the UI. Runs on either aa or 14500.

I find Petzl the most comfortable because of how flush they sit on my head. But the TH20 is also pretty good here. Unless I need more power it's the only headlamp I'll use from now on.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1.

I have the ThruNite TH20 and concur wholeheartedly with HJ.

The Petzl Tikkina also is a great low tech well designed lamp that is proven worldwide.